Hide
19 Posts

Darklight: Memento Mori» Forums » General

Subject: sell me on this vs S&S - thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste M
msg tools
Hi. Since there are a lot of dungeon crawler coming out these days I am trying to thin down and choose just 1 (for my wallet). I tried some dungeon crawler:
Mice and mystic (didn't like for the AI and lore)
Descent 2nd ed (didn't like, more a chess game than a dungeon crawler)
Gloomhaven (not a dungeon crawler but a euro hand management game with a fiddly setup ai and standees)
Shadow of Brimstone/another game that begins with F... that I didn't try it

The only game that is similar to a dungeon crawler that I am liking as of now is Kingdom death monster.

About Sword&Sorcery I already try a playthgouth at essen (and I find it interesting even if: short campaign - samey monster)

Has someone tried both this AND sword and sorcery?
I would love to have feedback since I can buy S&S for like 90 and this for like 130 €.

I am having an hard time to choose.
THanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mussino Mss
France
flag msg tools
mb
Tale darklight is thé best in this genre and i ce played lot of dungeon crawler

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jernej peter
Slovenia
flag msg tools
You Can't Take the Sky from Me
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games and now that I have Darklight, i will sell S&S.

I will try to explain.

I like S&S, but not as a solo player. You have to control 2 heroes and there is a lot to manage. You can only play scenarios. Yes you can play each quest individual but it is always the same. Also the game can be a little fidly.

Darklight is great playing solo, the dungeons are always different and I lake that the dungeon is not fully explored at the beginning. The rules are not easy (there are a lot of them), but once you learn them, the game flow is suprisingly easy and everything seems to make perfect sense. And I only played 1 scenario so far (I tried it 5 times and every time is as if i am playing different mission)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darklight is awful. Don't get it.
Miniatures are huge, highly detailed and don't require assembling.
So many different ones, imagine the trouble painting them..
The tiles are 3mm thick (so heavy!!)
The game has a theme and feel similar to those of Diablo (ewww..)
and can be perfectly played solo (but why?!)..
While playing you never know what encounters you'll have to face or the loot that'll appear (too mysterious)
Im trolling.. obviously.

S&S appears more conventional, messy and WoW-ish imo.
However just to be fair, I'd recommend you to wait a little bit more, until someone uploads a proper gameplay video and decide for yourself.
No need to hurry at this moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
This is tough question! My Wife loves S&S and we both enjoy it quite a bit! Its more cartoonic and a bit deeper when it comes to battle mechanics and AI roles. Yeah its a bit fidlier and more going on to take note with all the Bonus and armor and magic shields etc. But its also very very good

But darklight for me clicks. Period. The dark setting the cool artwork the awesome writing of Story and quests and the miniatures well if asking me its darklight.
Battle and AI System is simpler but then that doesnt mean it is better or worse than S&S! This Game is a board game diablo its absolutely stunning to me

But to be honest both are nice and both are very good on the table. I dont wanna choose i have em both.
If looking for games for the long Winter nights take em both you wont regret it.

Hope this helps
All the best
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sherwood
msg tools
holylein wrote:
This is tough question! My Wife loves S&S and we both enjoy it quite a bit! Its more cartoonic and a bit deeper when it comes to battle mechanics and AI roles. Yeah its a bit fidlier and more going on to take note with all the Bonus and armor and magic shields etc. But its also very very good

But darklight for me clicks. Period. The dark setting the cool artwork the awesome writing of Story and quests and the miniatures well if asking me its darklight.
Battle and AI System is simpler but then that doesnt mean it is better or worse than S&S! This Game is a board game diablo its absolutely stunning to me

But to be honest both are nice and both are very good on the table. I dont wanna choose i have em both.
If looking for games for the long Winter nights take em both you wont regret it.

Hope this helps
All the best
Peter

Hi Peter, what is your opinion of this against Folklore, I am interested in Folklore (have Darklight but not played)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
Folklore is not a dungeon Crawler by Basic meaning.

Folklore is more like a D&D Game with a Lot of Story Elements and some decision making along the road. It is a much deeper narrative compared to a normal Dungeon Crawl.

Folklore is a Dungeon and Dragons Experience without the need for a DungeonMaster and thats what makes this Game shine the most! You have much more to read than in other Games but it is a real blast for me.

I do like Folklore pretty much it is very good looking game and the second Edition comes with pretty colored standees instead of Minis.

The combat is a bit too simple if you ask me but then it is no real Dungeon Crawler and therefore fighting is only about 30% of the total it is much more focused on Story telling.

Its a question of mood sometimes i want some rich and deep storytelling and another Day i want it fast and bloody just a clash and then i want some good old Fights and with DarkLight i get some Diablo and Folklore is more like Baldurs Gate (but in a smaller scope a bit like a lite version)

Hope this helps!?

(But for me Folklore is a master piece in its own Genre and DarkLight is another gem in a different Genre you can not ask what i would buy cause i have those kind of games all.. Folklore DarkLight Sword and Sorcery i like them all in fact the only one i did not like was decent and this Game is known to be the uber game for its Genre... Thats it for taste and preferences hm? I played massive darkness as a diablo style game but man it was a disapointment.)

All the best
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sherwood
msg tools
holylein wrote:
Folklore is not a dungeon Crawler by Basic meaning.

Folklore is more like a D&D Game with a Lot of Story Elements and some decision making along the road. It is a much deeper narrative compared to a normal Dungeon Crawl.

Folklore is a Dungeon and Dragons Experience without the need for a DungeonMaster and thats what makes this Game shine the most! You have much more to read than in other Games but it is a real blast for me.

I do like Folklore pretty much it is very good looking game and the second Edition comes with pretty colored standees instead of Minis.

The combat is a bit too simple if you ask me but then it is no real Dungeon Crawler and therefore fighting is only about 30% of the total it is much more focused on Story telling.

Its a question of mood sometimes i want some rich and deep storytelling and another Day i want it fast and bloody just a clash and then i want some good old Fights and with DarkLight i get some Diablo and Folklore is more like Baldurs Gate (but in a smaller scope a bit like a lite version)

Hope this helps!?

(But for me Folklore is a master piece in its own Genre and DarkLight is another gem in a different Genre you can not ask what i would buy cause i have those kind of games all.. Folklore DarkLight Sword and Sorcery i like them all in fact the only one i did not like was decent and this Game is known to be the uber game for its Genre... Thats it for taste and preferences hm? I played massive darkness as a diablo style game but man it was a disapointment.)

All the best
Peter

Thanks Peter, yes quite agreed I just thought they shared similar aspects town phases, an over world, loot, crafting etc. However I see the two can't be compared really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
If you are unsure and wanna try Folklore then go for Base Game and DarkTales Expansion and do yourself a favor and take the Equipment Card Pack as well this should give you an almost all and perfectly fit all over for Folklore.

Its 60 bucks Base and Expansion each plus another 12 for the Card Pack. Yeah its just standees and no Minis but to be honest i have so much miniatures games that its quite refreshing to have some without plastic and you save the 60 bucks for mini pack.
:-)

Cheers and have a good one
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Freytag
United States
Xenia
Ohio
flag msg tools
My wife and I played the retail version of Sword and Sorcery and we really enjoyed it, but we decided that there really isn't much replay value to the game once you play through the story twice. I mean you can play different characters, light side, or dark side which changes up game play. The decisions do affect the game but like I said once you play through twice you really know what the outcomes are going to be.

The core retail box only has 7 quests but the last two quests are really either or so its really only 6 quests depending on your decisions. Making the replay value pretty low. They are coming out with expansions that were available via Kickstarter for retail, but they are really slow rolling these.

Story wise, its full of pop culture puns that honestly will not hold up well in the future. All in all the story just kind of sucked. It's like they didn't know if they wanted to be serious or not. Game play wise, there are a TON of things to track. I would suggest using some dice for damage counters. The set up is pretty easy and honestly pretty fast so that is a huge plus.

We are currently debating if we are going to purchase the Arcane Portal expansion when it comes out next month. We just started Gloomhaven and we honestly enjoy it a lot more than Sword and Sorcery. We are also waiting on Darklight: Memento Mori to arrive as we are in the United States, so that will be probably two months from now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
22 sessions of S&S
1 session of Darklight.

First impressions:

Story -> Darklight seems to be better here. Its campaign seems more fledged out.

Gameplay -> S&S has more complex rules. For me this is a positive. For someone who wants a more simplistic approach, it's Darklight.

Enemy AI -> S&S has WAAY better AI than Darklight. No contest here actually.

Looting -> Both games have lots of loot, so I'd say they are even.

Fiddliness -> Darklight has many components but they aren't fiddly to setup or tear down. S&S has lots of tokens to use and move around even while playing.

Enemy variance -> This is a difficult question. S&S has less variety based on sculpts and enemy TYPES but each enemy type has 3 colored ranks which behave in different ways and they even try to combo with each other because of their enhanced AI behaviors.
Darklight has more variety but beyond the sculpts I didn't really felt like the enemies are distinct enough.

So, this is tricky to judge. If you are superficial enough, you can just base your assumption on number of different enemy types/sculpts available but if you think it over, in my opinion S&S has more variety.

For example, a green rank Raider tries to hit you from range, a blue ranked Raider is a dual wielding fighter type and will try to engage you in melee. Both are called Raiders and have similar minis (alternate poses mainly) but their AI is completely different and they feel different. So you can say they are 2 different enemies in practice even though they are both Raiders. Someone else may claim that all Raiders are 1 enemy and would like to see more enemies. I hope this makes sense.

Production values -> Both games are good. Darklight minis are bigger if that's something someone may like better.

"Luck" factor -> Darklight has many things based on d6 die rolls which may or may not make your game chaotic and upredictable. S&S has less variance in its custom dice rolls and damage has narrow range. For example, a Darklight attack damage may within the 2-10 range while S&S typical damage values are between 2-5 damage. This makes a huge difference in luck factor. This also applies to several other game mechanics where Darklight is more luck-based than S&S.
If you don't like luck to be a big factor in your games, S&S is better. If you don't mind a bit of chaos, Darklight provides enough unpredictability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference in story tone coupled with limited replayabilty of S&S made me sell it and keep Darklight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
How about in relation to shadows of brimstone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
B Wumpus wrote:
How about in relation to shadows of brimstone?

Please KLICK HERE for my forum thread where I asked this exact question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rene van ommen
msg tools
Im also intrigued by the look of the game... the mini's look really good!
But id like to know how it is played... what is the 'flow' of the game.

I also played a few other games that at least look similar;

Descent 2nd; which is nice, dice rolling is a big part of it.
Dark souls BG; boring, by the time you figure out how enemies move, youre done playing it.
Currently im doing gloomhaven which i find pretty much perfect for me. i dont hate dices but i really love the card/minor deckbuilding in this game. also big fan of the large campaing style in gloomhaven and am intrigued by its legacy style features.

How does this game work?

Random dungeons is nice for replayability, but how is the variation?
How is combat done? cards, dice, something else? gimme some details, and advertise why you like it (or why you do not).
What happens between dungeons? is there campaign-ish gameplay? do characters keep their progression between games, and is there an ending to it?
how long does a solo, or 2 player game last?
Is it similar to one of the 3 games i mentioned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jernej peter
Slovenia
flag msg tools
You Can't Take the Sky from Me
mbmbmbmbmb
lordherpie wrote:
Im also intrigued by the look of the game... the mini's look really good!
But id like to know how it is played... what is the 'flow' of the game.

I also played a few other games that at least look similar;

Descent 2nd; which is nice, dice rolling is a big part of it.
Dark souls BG; boring, by the time you figure out how enemies move, youre done playing it.
Currently im doing gloomhaven which i find pretty much perfect for me. i dont hate dices but i really love the card/minor deckbuilding in this game. also big fan of the large campaing style in gloomhaven and am intrigued by its legacy style features.

How does this game work?

Random dungeons is nice for replayability, but how is the variation?
How is combat done? cards, dice, something else? gimme some details, and advertise why you like it (or why you do not).
What happens between dungeons? is there campaign-ish gameplay? do characters keep their progression between games, and is there an ending to it?
how long does a solo, or 2 player game last?
Is it similar to one of the 3 games i mentioned?

For combat read https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1976221/combat-structure-re...

For description : https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1975340/those-unsure-if-gam...

Solo game last from 15 min (you die) to 2H from my experience (when you get used to all the rules it can go faster.

Edit: setup of the game can be pretty quick and once I will make some foamcre inserets it will probably be around 10-15min

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rene van ommen
msg tools
from reading that (the combat summary i already read) i get the feeling that it is not a vastly different experience than descent. is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordherpie wrote:
from reading that (the combat summary i already read) i get the feeling that it is not a vastly different experience than descent. is that correct?

Descent 1 or 2 ? They are very different. I guess you can compare DLMM with Descent 1 Road to Legend.

I own both but have not played either so I'm interested in a comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rene van ommen
msg tools
ive only played Descent 2nd with the app

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.