Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged» Forums » Rules

Subject: Diagonal blocks and Timer rules. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricky Walker
msg tools
mb
Hi All,
Just played my first 2 player game of this on Thursday night. I've done a write up of the game in the Sessions part of this forum, not sure how long it will be before it is approved and appears there. The write up uincludes a couple of rules questions, but I thought I'd repeat them here, for clarity :-)

During the game, 2 things came up. Firstly, the situation was like this:

REGAL DEFENCE
32|41
31|45
SUSHI OFFENCE
(the player numbers may not be quite right, but the skill levels are right)
In this situation, with my player 31 activated, can I block he defence 41, or can I only block 32? The rules say I can't move into the square occupied by 41, due to there being a player in each of the diagonals, but that rule is in the movement section, and there is nothing in the blocking section of the rules about it. We decided in the game that you could block 41, but couldn't follow up into that square, due to the movement restriction. Obviously I wanted to block player 41, as I had a better chance of success :-)

The second thing was about timing, and the use of time-outs. The rules say that time-out cubes are added to the stack for the current half, but all the yellow cubes are used before you use the red time-out cubes. We thought this didn't look that good, as the clock on the scoreboard still runs out before you use the timeout cubes (although you still carry on playing til the timeout cubes are gone). After much discussion, we decided it would be better if, at the start of a play, if there are any red cubes in the stack, place one of those instead of a yellow cube. At the end of the play, where you would normally decide if a second yellow cube should be added, if there is a red cube on the time display, you just move that to the time-out section of the scoreboard, and the next play starts as normal. The advantage of doing this, is that the time-outs really do "stop the clock", and if there are several yellow cubes still to go, you don't know exactly how many plays are left in the game. So what do you think, good idea or not? Comments welcome.
Cheers,
Gixxer600
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gixxer600 wrote:
We decided in the game that you could block 41, but couldn't follow up into that square, due to the movement restriction.
You are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

To pile on to what Stephen wrote above, the free move allowed after a block is a MOVE action after all (just that its free). So it must adhere to all the same rules as a normal MOVE action.

And I like the idea of manipulating the timeout cubes as you suggest - if for nothing else but to add a bit more of theme to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Walker
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the confirmation, Barry and Stephen, glad I had it right :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Walker
msg tools
mb
bgm1961 wrote:

To pile on to what Stephen wrote above, the free move allowed after a block is a MOVE action after all (just that its free). So it must adhere to all the same rules as a normal MOVE action.

Yes, that is how we figured it.

bgm1961 wrote:

And I like the idea of manipulating the timeout cubes as you suggest - if for nothing else but to add a bit more of theme to the game.

That is what we thought, it looks better, and also, if the red cubes get used last, you know exactly how many plays are left in the game, which didn't seem as good as the scheme we came up with :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.