Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Barringer
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Check out a Geeklist containing all my other reviews here: 20X Reviews - A Geeklist

Time to 20 Plays: 1 Year, 9 Months

(Some of cards above come from expansions)

How to Play: In Dixit, players take turns being the “storyteller” by picking one of the seven beautifully illustrated cards from their hand and saying something about it, whether it’s an emotion, a phrase, a song lyric, some lines from a poem, or whatever else. That card is placed faced-down on the table. The other players listen to the story or word and find one of their own cards that fits the clue; these cards are also placed face-down on the table. All the cards are shuffled and then flipped over. Players bet on which card was the storyteller’s. The storyteller scores points if one or more, but not all, of the players guess their card. Other players score points by selecting the correct card and/or having other players select their card. Whoever reaches 30 points first wins.

I've played it so much because:
1. It’s an excellent gateway-style game. You can teach Dixit to virtually anyone. Since it relies on creativity and intuition, there are no mechanics or complicated rules to remember. I think the nature of Dixit could cause some people to think it’s too reliant on luck and/or not reliant enough on skill, but I think you have to consider the nature of the game and what the designer set out to create. Most of my non-gamer friends have found Dixit appealing. Many of those same people used Dixit as a springboard into the modern board gaming hobby.
2. The play time is nearly perfect. Gateway games like Dixit should fit squarely into the 30-45-minute range, in my opinion. Dixit doesn’t overstay its welcome and serves as an excellent warm-up or cool-down game. Or it can be an excellent main attraction with non-gamers.
3. The artwork is phenomenal. Everyone knows Dixit is famous for its artwork. The cards are simply beautiful. I like the artwork well enough that I’ve purchased three of the expansions. And if you buy Dixit, you’ll really need to buy at least one or two expansions.
4. It’s a versatile addition to any collection. Dixit plays 3-6 players and works with nearly every group of people. If my board game collection were destroyed, this would be among the first 20 or 30 I re-purchased due to its versatility. It’s not in my personal top 30, but it’s that useful and other people enjoy it that much.

Some of these cards come from expansions:

I'd play it more if:
1. The base game came with more cards. I’ve purchased three expansions, and they’re not cheap. I think there should at least be enough cards in the base game to play without shuffling, but that isn’t the case. 80 cards isn’t enough.
2. It were better balanced at each player count. I don’t often play with three players, and even four players is a bit low unless you blindly add in an extra card or two from the draw deck each round (I highly recommend this variant). You can play at these counts (having 3-4 won’t stop me from playing), but this game is best in the 5-6 range, in my opinion.

Rating:

Overall: Dixit checks off a lot of boxes for me. It’s a top-notch gateway game, which is important for me as the host of a large high school board game club, and it plays in 30 minutes or less with almost no rules explanations or mechanics to remember. One caveat to the 30-minute playtime is that you should consider emphasizing preparedness to players; if they have a clue or two ready to go, the game will go more quickly. It can bog down a bit if not. As anyone who’s heard of the game knows, Dixit’s artwork is legendary. My main complaints are the game’s lack of sufficient cards to play a game without shuffling and its diminished play quality with three players. Even so, I get Dixit to the table regularly with many different groups: with my students at school, with my wife and other couples, and with my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit is one of my favorite games, but it's really a 5-6 player game.

I don't like it at 4, but I'll play using a variant where a random card from the top of the deck gets added to the mix. (Otherwise, you'll get a 1 in 3 chance to simply guess the right card.)

I will never play it at 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Barringer
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
Dixit is one of my favorite games, but it's really a 5-6 player game.

I don't like it at 4, but I'll play using a variant where a random card from the top of the deck gets added to the mix. (Otherwise, you'll get a 1 in 3 chance to simply guess the right card.)

I will never play it at 3.

Yup, same here. I actually mentioned that variant in the review. It's a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
z10n x wrote:
Yup, same here. I actually mentioned that variant in the review. It's a good one.

Read right past that... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Barringer
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
z10n x wrote:

Read right past that... blush

No worries I definitely agree about that variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.