Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Slaughterbots: This is fiction

---

Perdix: This is real

The US military has launched 103 miniature swarming drones from a fighter jet during a test in California. The drones, which have a wingspan of 12in (30cm), operate autonomously and share a distributed brain. "Perdix are not pre-programmed synchronised individuals, they are a collective organism, sharing one distributed brain for decision-making and adapting to each other like swarms in nature," said William Roper, director of the Strategic Capabilities Office. "Because every Perdix communicates and collaborates with every other Perdix, the swarm has no leader and can gracefully adapt to drones entering or exiting the team."

---

Skip ahead to the 2:20 mark on the Perdix video to see (and hear) the damn things in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like what Daniel Suarez wrote about in his novel "Kill Decision".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can never decide if I'm happy or sad I decided not to be an aeronautical engineer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like we're overdue for a remake of "The Birds"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Quote:
Perdix are not pre-programmed synchronised individuals, they are a collective organism, sharing one distributed brain for decision-making and adapting to each other like swarms in nature," said William Roper, director of the Strategic Capabilities Office.

Wonder what they call that shared brain. It's like a Network, in the Sky. Hmmm, gotta be a good name in there somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Quote:
Perdix are not pre-programmed synchronised individuals, they are a collective organism, sharing one distributed brain for decision-making and adapting to each other like swarms in nature," said William Roper, director of the Strategic Capabilities Office.

Wonder what they call that shared brain. It's like a Network, in the Sky. Hmmm, gotta be a good name in there somewhere.

Sorry mate. Someone already beat them to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.