msg tools
Any clarification of why the moving rule is:

After a player has declared a direction and a
House, he moves Varys to the farthest character
card of that House in that direction
, moving over
any other character cards and empty spaces along
the way.

Seems restrictive on the number of moves you can make, and therefore the depth in tactics and sneaky maneuvering you can use.

Just wondering if there is some particular reason for this, whereby for example being able to move to any house card along the row/column would break the intended flow or balance of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without this rule, the game would lose a lot of the tactics and sneaky manoeuvring that it has. If the players movement choice were not restricted, you wouldn’t be able to set them up in interesting ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Guvnr
msg tools
Can you give some examples?

To me, this rule increases the deterministic nature of the game where it's too simplistic to force a player into a position. Wheras a surprise only taking say one rather than two of a house in a row increases the sneaky manouvering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
theguvnr wrote:

To me, this rule increases the deterministic nature of the game where it's too simplistic to force a player into a position.
But then comes the strategy above that where you avoid getting yourself into a position where someone can force you and you cultivate a position where you can force an opponent in 1 or 2 move's time and before you know it, you're half a dozen moves down the strategy rabbit hole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Guvnr
msg tools
True, though works both ways. There's still strategy in one rule that's not in the other.

Anyway, was more wondering if house ruling against the official rule actually 'breaks' the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theguvnr wrote:

To me, this rule increases the deterministic nature of the game where it's too simplistic to force a player into a position. Wheras a surprise only taking say one rather than two of a house in a row increases the sneaky manouvering.

I feel exactly the opposite. If I know my opponent will have to end up in one of (at best) four places after their turn, I can use this information to plan my turn to either put my opponent in a bad position or give them an obvious good choice that sets up my next turn to my advantage.

If my opponent could just stop anywhere, then there is no sneaky maneuvering that can happen at all. You can't force your opponent to do anything. The tactics and the strategy of the game get completely lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Guvnr
msg tools
That's there in the non-rule version too though, you have to look at more potential paths, as does your opponent in response.

Perhaps in reality it's a game extender more than anything crucial it adds or removes from the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theguvnr wrote:
That's there in the non-rule version too though, you have to look at more potential paths, as does your opponent in response.

Which would make the game take how much longer as everyone suffers AP trying to find an ideal move?

Have you tried playing with your variant? I'd be curious to see the results, but honestly I think it would just make the game take longer, you'd have less control over your opponent's moves (and they less over yours, admittedly), and there would be no real gain to be had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.