Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- which expansions are a "must" buy, and in what order?
- hoping there's an expansion that adds to the game's epic feel/scope of the game...extends the game

any suggestions? thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star shield is the best expansion for the money. It only adds one Legend, but that Legend has so many different set ups, side quests, and final bosses that it’s massively replayable. It’s the legend that truly achieves the promise of the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
In case you're not fully aware the game is cooperative and probably most importantly puzzly.
The games epic feel comes from the tracker/narrator. The narrative unfolds as time passes.

The Andor games can be seen as sequels.
Part 2 is mainly on the sea...etc
It's like the further adventures of your adventures.

Bearing all of this in mind the Star shield expansion will add much replayability to the base game.

Apologies if this was long winded, just wanted to help as much as I could.

Great games though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3 boards from the 3 big boxes (Base Game, Journey to the North, The Last Hope) all actually line up to make 1 big board. There are no official legends that support this or anything, but I'm sure there a few ones over on the German site that has 100s of custom legends. I'm super excited to some day try and find one and translate it, but I haven't had the time to even finish all the legends across the stuff I have.

A lot of people say New Heroes doesn't add much, I'd actually say it adds the nicest bit of variety. Playing as the same 4 heroes can get a little stale, having the variety provided by an extra 4 heroes is really nice.

There isn't a must buy order to anything though, other than I'd recommend getting Journey to the North before Last Hope as they are sequels in that order in terms of story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This awkwardly-titled thread has more discussion about "essential" expansions.

The short answer is: The base box is complete and has quite a bit of replayability, so no expansions are necessary. If you end up liking the game and wanting more of it, the expansions are nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At any time can you use more than one of the boards? Is there an adventure/quest/etc that uses two or three of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llyranor Ilfarath
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, it seems Star Shield is your best bang for your buck if you want added replay value to your base game (it adds one legend, but it provides good variety/replayability).

If instead you want continue the story/adventure and have some new gameboards, the two big box expansions (Journey to the North and The Last Hope) form the main story trilogy. Star Shield fits between the base set and Journey to the North narrative-wise.
John_VW wrote:
At any time can you use more than one of the boards? Is there an adventure/quest/etc that uses two or three of them?

I don't think it is officially supported.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Llyranor wrote:
Yeah, it seems Star Shield is your best bang for your buck if you want added replay value to your base game (it adds one legend, but it provides good variety/replayability).

If instead you want continue the story/adventure and have some new gameboards, the two big box expansions (Journey to the North and The Last Hope) form the main story trilogy. Star Shield fits between the base set and Journey to the North narrative-wise.
John_VW wrote:

so you'd never use more than one of the "big boards" at a time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llyranor Ilfarath
msg tools
mbmb
John_VW wrote:
Llyranor wrote:

John_VW wrote:

so you'd never use more than one of the "big boards" at a time?

Not officially, AFAIK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.