The World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch» Forums » General

Subject: Initial impression: fiddly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the first scenario last night, and it seems to be more fiddly than I would have hoped. It took us 2 hours with all of the setup and struggling with the rules vs actually playing.

The minis look great, and the Ether mechanic is great. I'm just wondering if the game really needed so many little cards and dashboards just filling the tabletop with stuff. Setup/teardown is messy. Not sure why they didn't have any printed tiles.

OTOH, if I had a dedicated game table, maybe this game gets better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a quite straightforward game. The rulebook is poorly written, but with the faq it's ok, and when you learn it, the game can be played easily. Setup is a problem, with every scenario based "dungeon crawler".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:
We played the first scenario last night, and it seems to be more fiddly than I would have hoped. It took us 2 hours with all of the setup and struggling with the rules vs actually playing.

The minis look great, and the Ether mechanic is great. I'm just wondering if the game really needed so many little cards and dashboards just filling the tabletop with stuff. Setup/teardown is messy. Not sure why they didn't have any printed tiles.

OTOH, if I had a dedicated game table, maybe this game gets better?

I think the component fiddly-ness gets better as you become more familiar with the game.

A lot of the little decks of cards aren't needed during the Chapters, and are only used during Intermission. Keep those separate. During the Chapter you need the Torment and Chaos decks, but that's about it.

I have to agree that you're going to come up with rules questions during play, and there will be some that the book just doesn't answer. It's a known issue with this game. We can hope for additional FAQs or even a redone rulebook in the future to help with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mark
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
I usually just have the chaos card deck by my nemesis dashboard.

I put the Torment cards near the gents and let them draw their own fate.
Some chapters you may need Gear and Artefact cards. That's just about it.

The other stuff are usually used either Before or After the actual gameplay of the chapters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'll see if I can't organize the cards better. I want to love this game, but the issues are annoying. We spent like 10 minutes trying to find the Chaos Cards with Basic Power, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:
OK, I'll see if I can't organize the cards better. I want to love this game, but the issues are annoying. We spent like 10 minutes trying to find the Chaos Cards with Basic Power, for example.

Yeah, that won't be the last thing like that.

Make sure to read the current official FAQ HERE.

Also the unofficial one maintained in these forums HERE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the links.

I guess, my frustration is that the actual game feels like it was rushed, not polished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:
I guess, my frustration is that the actual game feels like it was rushed, not polished.

I can see how this is related to your frustrations with the rules, but the set up and tear down are simply a factor of the game type. I don’t think it fair to imply that is caused by poor game development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno. When I do a game, I'm pretty ruthless about streamlining things. Smog doesn't need so many flavors of things to be a great game. Printed tiles replacing blanks and overlays would have been cheaper and cleaner.

The rules are just the most visible symptom of a lack of polish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:
I dunno. When I do a game, 8m pretty ruthless about streamlining things. Smog doesn't need so many flavors of things to be a great game. Printed tiles replacing blanks and overlays would have been cheaper and cleaner.

The rules are just the most visible symptom of a lack of pooish

There is some irony in complaining about lack of pooish in a game when there are multiple spelling and grammar issues in your post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:
I dunno. When I do a game, 8m pretty ruthless about streamlining things. Smog doesn't need so many flavors of things to be a great game. Printed tiles replacing blanks and overlays would have been cheaper and cleaner.

The rules are just the most visible symptom of a lack of pooish

There is some irony in complaining about lack of pooish in a game when there are multiple spelling and grammar issues in your post.

The key difference is that I'm not selling what I post from mobile.

Was there an expectation that my cellphone would produce a professionally-edited and tested message? Did you pay $100+ USD for that post? No.

That said, now that I'm on PC, I'm happy to correct it for FREE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud DV
msg tools
@GrauGeist: haha you just owned the guy. Nicely answered. I still have the same feeling of unpolished game. I think it is actually the case. The rulebook is a mess and even some cards were badly printed. Although I do not share your opinion about the printed tile.Having separated tiles (big and small) allow for a higher flexibility if you want to write your own scenarios.

I also want to love that game but I must admit that if I had known the Batman boardgame would eventually come up, I think I would have pass on Smog (dunno if that is correct in English). Although I have some fun painting the minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
On the physical design front, the game has tons of polish. The figures are well-done, *all* the printed materials are beautiful and fit the theme perfectly. There's a great deal of "fluff" background material provided. It's clear this game has some real love put into it.

Where the game falls down is in translation and a little bit on editing. All that was really needed was a native English editor to take a pass at it. Obviously that should have been done by CMON, but this is not the first good game to skip that step either

The only other area I'm worried about is play-testing. Historically, KS games tend to have a solid core, but the expansions get short-shrift. I don't know if that happened here or not, but if I had to bet, that would be my leaning. That being said, I haven't played expansions yet nor expansion characters, so I'm just guessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The figures are beautiful, as is the artwork. Aside from the werewolf's hat... Everyone asks "where is his hat?"

As with *many* KS games, the rules of Smog are "good enough". Zeppelin Attack! was like that, where the art and theme is awesome, but the gameplay is a bit lacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Arnaud - I kind of look at it the tile / overlay thing like Zombicide, where I don't really need overlays if there are enough tiles. Trade 2 sheets of overlays for 2 tiles, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The figures are beautiful, as is the artwork. Aside from the werewolf's hat... Everyone asks "where is his hat?"

Amen to that! Also his pose, while dramatic, looks a little lackluster from the front since his face is entirely hidden from that direction. The fox guy is much cooler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got in another play session, playing Scenario 2. 2 hours, and we only finished the 1st Intermission and the first couple turns of the scenario. We're still fighting the setup and rules, though. *sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.