3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] the Space Station rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sara Winter
Sweden
flag msg tools
I am working on a game that allows up to 6(?) players to build a space station on the surface of a planet. There they will be able to control up to 13 characters and their daily lives, both at work and during leisure.

The board is modular, so you start with the center piece and begin building the station on that, then, when you finish the first mission you get to extend the board with a new piece and play the next mission, and so on.

Here are some images of the board as it looks now (far from finished)...
Google Drive images for the board

The idea I have for missions so far is:
1. Get to know the game basics
a. Basic functions
b. Basic needs
2. Making protein
a. Basic training
b. Building relationships
3. Mining metals
a. Buying and selling
b. Research
4. Harvesting gas
5. Harvesting crystals
6. Harvesting medicins
7. Aliens!

The board itself is magnetic, and each station building unit (could be control room, bedroom, kitchen, gym, harvester, etc.) has a magnetic strip on the back to keep the pieces from going all over the place.

I have lots of ideas about how the characters can build relationships with each other, skill up, do research etc. But I thing this is enough as a basic intro to my game idea.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So kind of like a cardboard SimCity / The Sims in space?

Interesting concept, is it solo, coop or competitive? What's the objective (or is it a sandbox)?

You'd want to figure out how to simplify module types, resource types and whatnot so you don't have over choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Winter
Sweden
flag msg tools
crazybyzantine wrote:
So kind of like a cardboard SimCity / The Sims in space?

Yes, something like a Sims game But I am considering ways to give it my own personal twist such as having it in retro-style or trying to come up with more original missions other than just "mine for titanium".

crazybyzantine wrote:
Interesting concept, is it solo, coop or competitive?

I'm thinking coop at the moment, possibly with personal mini-missions as well. Although in theory it is possible to play it solo too.

crazybyzantine wrote:
What's the objective (or is it a sandbox)?

The objective (at the moment) is to win the game/complete the missions.
My idea is that you play against a time track of some kind, like "you have 4 weeks to complete mission 1", and each 3 turns is a week. (That way it will work with any number of players.)

I have considered giving it a "sandbox mode" as well, so that you can play with different configurations of the board.

crazybyzantine wrote:
You'd want to figure out how to simplify module types, resource types and whatnot so you don't have over choice.

Yes, it could be quite a lot to keep track of, but my plan is to start out very simple and introduce specific concepts with each mission and make others simpler as you play. For example, harvesting vegetation could be a main focus at the beginning of the game, but be mostly automatized as you progress to later missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.