Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Thunderstone Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Is this similar to Aeon's End? --- Answered, Thank you rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Flight
United States
Boulder
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone who has played both of these games think having one, you would not play the other? Or do they provide different experiences?

Sorry if this was answered elsewhere. I did not see it raised

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is this similar to Aeon's End?
jflight1 wrote:
Does anyone who has played both of these games think having one, you would not play the other? Or do they provide different experiences?

Sorry if this was answered elsewhere. I did not see it raised

Thanks!


Totally different experiences. Aeon's End I like ever so slightly better, but it is a fully cooperative experience with ZERO shuffling, unlike Thunderstone which is a competitive, often cutthroat traditional deck building game. Thunderstone also has a complete campaign, which Aeon's End does not have unless you buy the upcoming legacy game.
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is this similar to Aeon's End?
I have both and love both equally for what they are. Aeon's End is purely cooperative while Thunderstone Quest is currently only competitive (a co-op mode is currently being worked on). For me, both games get pretty even amounts of play time as I have a varied gaming group who likes to switch between each type of gameplay. So depending on your group's interests, you could safely pick one or the other or even both games.
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Flight
United States
Boulder
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is this similar to Aeon's End?
Thank you both for your very helpful replies. I will move forward with trying both
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to help. Both games are great!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jadedlithium wrote:
Happy to help. Both games are great!


I would say I think I might prefer Aeon's End a little bit more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
often cutthroat traditional deck building game.


I have to question this. I'm not really sure what part of Thunderstone is "cutthroat". There is very little player interaction, and it seems the only time you can actually negatively affect another player is by leveling up into Hero they wanted, or defeating the Monster that they wanted to defeat.

I would say that this game is not cutthroat at all. It is a competitive game, but Dominion is more "cutthroat" than this game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Deylgat
Belgium
Melle
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
[q="UnlivedPhalanx"] I would say that this game is not cutthroat at all. It is a competitive game, but Dominion is more "cutthroat" than this game.


I fully agree with Justin. Played TQ with a new player yesterday and he said it felt like a multiplayer solitaire. He couldn't quite wrap his head around the fact that they didn't make TQ a co-op.
I have to agree as well after quite some plays. YOu can't get in each others way in the village, you can only really bother another player by upgrading a hero or beating a monster they had their sights on, but you still are left with plenty of options. You can also partly keep track of the score between players from the XP tokens, but you can't keep track of points in each players deck. You just play your own game, try to score as many points as possible along the way and you see how you did in the end.
As someone who loves co-op deckbuilders (Marvel Legendary, Xenoshyft, Aeon's End), but also full on competitive deckbulders (Star Realms, Hero realms, Clank,...), TQ falls somewhere in between at the moment and I'm not so high on the game as I was when I first got it.

I'm hoping for some descent co-op or solo rules (with or without specific content)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Midav8 wrote:
jhochges wrote:
[q="UnlivedPhalanx"] I would say that this game is not cutthroat at all. It is a competitive game, but Dominion is more "cutthroat" than this game.


I fully agree with Justin. Played TQ with a new player yesterday and he said it felt like a multiplayer solitaire. He couldn't quite wrap his head around the fact that they didn't make TQ a co-op.
I have to agree as well after quite some plays. YOu can't get in each others way in the village, you can only really bother another player by upgrading a hero or beating a monster they had their sights on, but you still are left with plenty of options. You can also partly keep track of the score between players from the XP tokens, but you can't keep track of points in each players deck. You just play your own game, try to score as many points as possible along the way and you see how you did in the end.
As someone who loves co-op deckbuilders (Marvel Legendary, Xenoshyft, Aeon's End), but also full on competitive deckbulders (Star Realms, Hero realms, Clank,...), TQ falls somewhere in between at the moment and I'm not so high on the game as I was when I first got it.

I'm hoping for some descent co-op or solo rules (with or without specific content)


They are planning both Co-op and Solo rules, and I believe that there will be additional materials included with that rather than just different rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.