Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crystal Song, we died on the very FIRST turn. Did we play correctly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug D
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
So we played our first game tonight and lost on the very first action a player took. Makes me wonder if we did it correctly.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Player took a pathfind action and opened up one of the crystal song cards attached to our starting tile. This card had an immediate action attached to it that required 4 successes. He drew two curse cards and failed the event. This caused the consequence to apply which had us draw the 55? card which put us back on the boat with no crystals and we lost. Really!

Did we play correctly? That’s nuts. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had my first look at the cards, and it seems I found the one you encountered. Yes, it seems you played correctly. I suppose the only thing you could have done differently is notice that the negative consequence wss bad (this is obvious from a card available to you) and thus drawn more cards to ensure you succeeded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
laughter is the best medicine
badge
Sunrise ... sunset
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say you lost. You didn't die!
However, the captain is pretty unhappy with you shake
Sounds like a good chance to give it another try right away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dyson
msg tools
I did this on a solo play through. I think this is the worst part of the Crystal Song. It's meant to be a intro and there's a card that ends your game that can be drawn straight away! It's only when you know how to play properly, you realise you can just draw loads of cards to succeed. Seems an oversight for an intro scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
mythosaddict wrote:
Seems an oversight for an intro scenario.

Well, what we asked for was not necessarily a tutorial curse (as you can use the beginning of the voracious goddess for that) but rather a short but challenging curse to play within groups where several play sessions aren't feasible. Introductionary in the sense of at least one player knowing the game beforehand.

I agree that a card like the one described here is not exactly good, even in the context I was expecting when asking for a curse like this during the campaign, but I don't think you should treat this curse as an easy one.

Disclaimer: I haven't played this curse yet but I'd be dissapointed if it was in fact an easy tutorial curse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brackwater wrote:
Disclaimer: I haven't played this curse yet but I'd ve dissapointed if it was in fact an easy tutorial curse.

Crystal Song is meant to be an introductory "learning" curse, but we didn't find it to be trivial/easy. This is from the KS description:

This curse lasts between 1 and 2 hours, so it’s short but its mechanics make it very replayable and perfect for learning the game or playing a (relatively) quick session!

We played it once to learn the mechanics (making terrible rules errors), and again "seriously". It took us around 2.5 hours to complete it. Also, I was poisoned on my very first turn!

We ended up...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...returning home with four crystals total. Not amazing, but not terrible either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you get Crystal Song? Is it PnP? I did the Rookie + Full Gameplay bundle and I think all I'm supposed to have is the 2nd ed Base game (I didn't buy any non-card add-ons.)

This sounds like a good curse. I'm maybe 1/3 of the way into my first play of Voracious Goddess and very impressed so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's PnP (for now). The official printed version will be released later this year. October?

Here's a thread that provides the download link:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1957089/crystal-song-pnp-ve...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.