8 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » General

Subject: Is the online play matching algorithm fair? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Jeux
msg tools
mbmbmb
Well I had uninstalled it and was "off" Star Realms for a while. I even uninstalled Steam since that was the only game I played. Then Crusader Kings 2 was free last weekend so I installed Steam again and installed that game and somehow Star Realms was back on my computer. And I couldn't resist.

This time I paid real attention, evaluated my moves, etc. After a few days of being about 50/50, I started winning. I had 10 wins on level 10 so I only needed 1 more win to get level 11. I've been trying for level 11 for a few months now.

And then they got me. My opponents started being mostly players with levels far above mine. I played several level 18 players, several level 13 players, etc. There were a few players of lower levels (one of them even beat me), but most were above my level. And then I dropped back down.

This was very frustrating. I don't know how their matching algorithm works but I don't like it. I think it'd be much better to wait for players of the same level, maybe +/- 1. Then it would be more fair. I imagine there are fewer players at upper levels and so the algorithm has to match them up with lower level players, but that really makes it difficult for lower level players to move up.

The higher level players consistently beat me, more than 60%. So they have honed their skills and found the edge. But I don't see it.

Anyway, does anyone know how this matching algorithm works and do you think it's fair?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
It is difficult when a game has a small amount of players online. Those higher level players have likely waited a while for a match, if the matchmaking is anything like Duelyst (a game that I played at a high level). With my low-level account on Duelyst, I could find a game quite quickly, but, at times, on my high-level account, I would wait for 2 minutes for a game (and I would be matched with someone much lower). It may seem unfair, but it is the reality if the player base is not huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does try to do narrow searches and slowly widens the level range of it cannot find anyone. Maybe try cancelling the search (click on the searching "game" and select cancel) if you don't get matched in a minute or two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jeux
msg tools
mbmbmb
My last few games I haven't waited more than 10 seconds and I was matched up with someone level 14+. This has happened 3-4 times in a row.

I think it should have an option to play with someone higher or not, so that if we don't want to we can be patient and wait for someone at our level. I think this is important when we're on the verge of making it to the next level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The match-making algorithm as it currently stands is vastly improved over the original version. Players ranked in the 30s, 40s, or even
higher used to routinely get matched up against players ranked in the teens or single digits. Now, it is very rare.

Believe it or not, a level 14 player is very similar in experience to a level 10. Your inability to climb to the next level isn’t uncommon. I’ve stalled out a few times. I’d recommend trying to figure out why you’re on a cold streak, maybe read some strategy articles. If you want some practice games, feel free to challenge me: SweetJustice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DiGiorgio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the algorithm is quite effective. the frustration at the early levels can be equally frustrating. Be glad they don't allow you to lose you level anymore like it used to, that was truly tough. I can remember taking months just to get a level in the mid-20's. What got me through it all was when I was able to beat top 10 players even at a much lower level. It reminded me that anyone can win any game at anytime, and practice will lead to being able to do it more regularly. Setting goals can be fun, like shooting for the avatars you get every two levels is fun. Also playing the campaign modes is a great way to learn ALL the various mechanics of the cards themselves. The game is easy to learn but difficult to master. Try getting to level 45 at a 55% win percentage. It keeps me coming back, playing with top players and conversing with them on FB is also fun. Try out Megahaulin podcast as well, I learned alot about the cards from those.
Have fun and you're always welcome to challenge me IGN:Neelix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Simionato
Italy
torviscosa
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, remember that there is no difference in the decks at level 1 or 100. The game turns to be a matter of player's skill.

However, I think that being able to ratio 60/40 at this game is quite impressive. I've been months at bottom level 14 and it just looked a coin flip to me every time I played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jeux
msg tools
mbmbmb
gabrieleud wrote:
I've been months at bottom level 14 and it just looked a coin flip to me every time I played.

That's exactly my experience too. I have a 49% win rate. After almost getting to level 11 for the second time, I then lost 9 out 12 and I play exactly the same as before. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I don't find a coin flip very fun really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.