Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarifying the play sequence for Nemesis enounters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
So, I've just finished my 3rd hunt (First Story + 2 hunts). My survivors returned, I filled in the Y3 box, completed the randomly drawn event, and did all of my settlement stuff. Now my survivors are ready to depart, but I see that Y4 has a nemesis encounter. How do I proceed?

1. Instead of picking a quarry for the next hunt, go through the nemesis encounter. Then fill in Y4 box and do settlement events as normal.

2. Do normal hunt, then fill in Y4 box. After the rest of settlement stuff, do nemesis encounter, then return to settlement (without getting endeavor tokens). Start another (normal) hunt for Y4->Y5.

3. Same as 2, except nemesis encounter counts as hunt for Y4->Y5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghorron
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ObligatoryReference wrote:
So, I've just finished my 3rd hunt (First Story + 2 hunts). My survivors returned, I filled in the Y3 box, completed the randomly drawn event, and did all of my settlement stuff. Now my survivors are ready to depart, but I see that Y4 has a nemesis encounter. How do I proceed?

1. Instead of picking a quarry for the next hunt, go through the nemesis encounter. Then fill in Y4 box and do settlement events as normal.

2. Do normal hunt, then fill in Y4 box. After the rest of settlement stuff, do nemesis encounter, then return to settlement (without getting endeavor tokens). Start another (normal) hunt for Y4->Y5.

3. Same as 2, except nemesis encounter counts as hunt for Y4->Y5.

*EDIT*
After the prolog white lion you start your settlement LY1 with the First Story event. Remember that the settlement phase starts a new lantern year, so after 2 hunts you are now starting LY3 with the settlement phase. Do as always, choose a quarry, hunt, showdown. When you come back you start LY4 with the settlement phase. Do as always (endeavours etc), but instead of choosing a quarry, read the Nemesis encounter event. Departing survivors have no hunt phase that year, but face a nemesis instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First Story + 2 Hunts = LY3 = Not a Nemesis Year. Lantern Years start with the settlement phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Ye this confused me too until you understand the year is settlement hunt showdown.
Prologue lion.
Settlement ly1 - hunt - showdown
Settlement ly2 - hunt - showdown
Settlement ly3 - hunt - showdown
Settlement ly4 - nemesis butcher
Settlement ly5 - hunt - showdown

Remember nemesis are not special nemesis like for example the manhunter who is a special nemesis encounter. So the usual nemesis just replace hunt showdown for that ly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications, everyone! So you could consider the tutorial showdown as taking place in LY0 for gameplay purposes?

I guess I was thrown by (a) starting with a showdown, and (b) the rulebook's suggestion to use the end of the settlement phase as a stopping point, which means you're stopping in the middle of a lantern year rather than between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s correct. The prologue is LY 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.