Hide
13 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Variants

Subject: New goodies ideas : 4 structure bonus tiles + 1 player board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrice Piron
msg tools
As much the game has a lot of replayability with the Factory cards, Encounter cards, and Objective cards, as there are too few structure bonus tiles.

That's why on the last expansion, or as new goodies, 4 new tiles could be nice. Next, some ideas :

Number of structure tokens around the same lake.

"Y". Number of structure tokens around your mine token. Only the mine must be adjacent to other tokens.
I tested. It's frankly not obvious because of the lakes. Moreover as I impose the mine in the center, it's a waste if we put it on a tunnel!
But I had to do it because an opponent quickly blocked my expansion. Very nice party !

EDIT : "Y". Number of structure tokens around a central structure token. Only the central structure token must be adjacent to other tokens.
Rewards : 2/4/6/9 $ for 1/2/3/4 structures

Number of villages with your structures on them.

Number of mountains and forests with your structures on them.

An other nice goodies to gain even more replayability would be a last player board.

I tested the last possible combination so that each top action is present in total 2 times in each section.

This gives a Produce / Move / Trade / Bolster player board.

I tested it and adjusted the cost reductions and dollar bonuses to get something new and in my opinion balanced with the other boards.

If there ever is a worry with the picture the costs are:
OO(O) / MM(M) / WW(WW) / F(FF)
And the dollar bonuses :
2 / 0 / 2 / 2
The starting stats :
4 popularity and 4 gold
This board have the number 3b.

EDIT :
How I developped the board:
I saw some tests on the net. Some people put more than three oils for action to improve. This is not good because there are 6 improvements against 4 mechas, buildings, and recruits. That's why i choosed 3 with one reduction.
I wanted access to the plateau on making buildings and recruits interesting. I think I did it because you can win 3 popularity or 3 fight cards on the same section, but to counterbalance no section gives 3 gold.
The mechas do not give gold but this is offset by a not very high cost (but only one reduction).
The last adjustments between the reductions and the gold were decided by comparison with the other player boards to obtain different configurations (Top actions, Reductions, and Gold reward are all three new configurations).

For the name I wanted something that evokes urban development.
I do not know if the word Urbanism is the right one in english (with the french word "Urbanisme" i obtain "town planning" with google translation).
Other name could be Prosperity or Renovation (I like this last, for a post first world war period).
EDIT : Definitely yes: Renovation is the right name of the board!

For the picture, i had these idea and i found a picture on internet which permit me to show you :

On the left, people are preparing festivities.
In the next section, we see people covering a mecha with a tarp, and between the second and third section we see the street that goes to a monument.
In the third section workers are busy renovating facades.
And finally on the right, a man on a platform harangues the crowd with his propaganda, unless it's street theater ...

Thanks for reading me. Feel free to test and give your opinion.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrice Piron
msg tools
Re: New goodies ideas
Another nice little addition:

Tokens with the symbol of each faction on one side and on the other the number of player boards.

This allows the boards to be drawn at random without handling them.

In fact, the boards are heavy and mix them to distribute them is indeed neither practical nor risky (I have some damaged edges. From the beginning, I had also boards with a recognizable back (lack of printing in small places)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal McClatchey
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the addition of new structure bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Estheral wrote:

Another nice little addition:

Tokens with the coats of arms of each faction on one side and on the other the numbers of the player platters.

This allows the boards to be drawn at random without handling them.

In fact, the boards are heavy and mix them to distribute them is indeed neither practical nor risky (I have some damaged edges. From the beginning, I had also boards with a recognizable back (lack of printing in small places)).

These would be cool, but I currently randomize faction selection by putting one recruit token from each faction in a cup to be drawn at random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrice Piron
msg tools
You're right for factions it can be easy.
I think I'll use a bag and Large action tokens from Meeple Source when I'll received it.

But for the player board, heavier, I have to find something else.
I think I will bye disc tokens and put stickers that I will print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Parsons
United States
Spring Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very well done

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrice Piron
msg tools
I just read that the numbering of the player boards depended on their ranking during the game tests.

Because of this, I can not say if 3b is the correct numbering.

The board seems to me balanced neither too powerful nor too weak, but I will not be able to do 100+ games to classify it correctly lol

My most important wish is still the release of (my ) new structure bonus tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love to see fan ideas come to life like this! Thank you for sharing them with the world, Patrice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Michalowski
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
All work and no board games makes Dan a dull boy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty clever ideas. I like the lake and Y structure bonus tiles. Seems like they would work pretty well. The only issue is that the structure bonus tile usually encourages to spread buildings across the map rather than pile them in one place.

I don't think the village tile one would work though, as there are only nine villages on the map. If you're playing with a lot of players, the most anyone could really get is like 2. If you adjusted the bonus to be fewer, like the build on tunnel structure bonus, it would probably work better.

I also made an eighth player mat, its cool to see how similar they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrice Piron
msg tools
To Jamey Stegmaier

Thank you for taking your time to take an interest in the work of your fans.

I hope we will soon have new official structure bonuses tiles.
This is the only element of the game that lacks diversity in my opinion.
And besides, cherry on the cake, I have enough place for 4 extra tiles in my foam organizer !
if it is necessary I'll tell you "please" 10 times then stop breathing lol

To Dan Michalowski

Not necessarily, it depends if you want to play the bonus or not. I think this bonus tile was needed for the buildings. Because if we look more closely other elements of the board have two effects (in addition to giving a star). Enhancements add a bonus of one action, and decrease the cost of another action. The mechas can deploy a fighting figure and in addition gives access to new abilities, recruits give an immediate bonus and give a bonus to each new action including neighbors. The buildings gave them a bonus related to an action... Damned I forgot : If it is true they also allow to control a territory, but if there is no adverse unit. Their interest is slightly lower (except the mine which for me is a good alternative to the capacity of crossing rivers) but compensated by the bonus tile.

For the village tile you're probably right and I've redone it the same way as the tunnel tile. I did not like the tunnel tile because if we have possibility to do a 4th structure (in a 2 or 3 player game) why not reward it ? I wondered what was the use of a 4th building if it was not to earn more gold. I was wrong. I understood now the interest of being able to do just to prevent others from winning gold.

I just watched your board. For actions above we wanted the same thing, logical is the last possible composition
For the costs and the gold there is not the same. Except making 3 rewards at 2 gold which seems to me yes a good thing for a last plateau. On the other hand, I did not want to benefit the mechas because we clearly tend to do it and the cards meet allow to win (about 25%). In many games I do I find that players do not do enough building or recruiting. So I wanted to put the gold there. You can see that I put a cost of 4 wood for the structures but there is a trade action above!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrice Piron
msg tools
After many games, we decided with friends to make the Y bonus tile easier.

Now, the central structure token is no longer necessarily the mine.

Rewards change also. You gain 2$ for 1 structure, 4$ for 2 structures, 6$ for 3 structures, and 9$ for the 4 structures. Like the "line" structure bonus tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrice Piron
msg tools
Mr Jamey Steigmaier

For the idea of the 4 new bonus structure tiles, I received an e-mail from Matagot, the french distributor of the game :

As a distributor of the game, we can not directly offer goodies for a game.
We must have the permission of the publisher, in this case, Jamey Stegmaier.
I invite you to re-contatc Jamey directly, via BGG.

For that I allow myself to send you this message. If you can allow this, it would be great!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrice: Can you contact me at jamey@stonemaiergames.com to describe exactly what you're looking to do? If you're just looking to make and share some new bonus tiles as a print-and-play option here and in the Scythe Facebook group for free, you're welcome to go ahead and do so. Just make it clear that they're your own creation, not an official Stonemaier creation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls