Pepijn van Loon
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on my new card design for Heroes of Tenefyr, and I'm not sure if I want to center the text or not.

I've looked through a bunch of card games I own, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus. Some are vertically centered and left aligned, some are top and left aligned, some vertically and horizontally centered.

I guess anything goes, but what do you think looks better?

EDIT: Here's another card with more text up top, and a 3rd option where the text is only centered vertically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Centered looks better to me, but I think you should fix that orphan. The last line shouldn't contain only a single word.

Ignore the text on all player's
cards.

Ignore the text on all
player's cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and I thought this was going to be a question about the upside down text in the yellow section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepijn van Loon
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:
The last line shouldn't contain only a single word.

Thanks! Good call.
I also just noticed the apostrophe is in the wrong place in that sentence. Oops.

byronczimmer wrote:
and I thought this was going to be a question about the upside down text in the yellow section.

Haha, nope. The top part of the card is an enemy, and the bottom part is the loot you get for defeating it. You rotate the card when you place it in your discard pile. (It's a deck-building game, and this is how you acquire new cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
One word: centered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oloring wrote:

I guess anything goes, but what do you think looks better?

My advice:

Centred text looks better if there's commonly just a few words.

Fully justified text looks better if there's commonly a lot of words - a small paragraph rather than a sentence or so.

In this one card's case, definitely centre it. If the game as a whole mostly has five sentences per card, though? Maybe not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
One word: centered.

Yes.
One word: centered
Many words: not centered

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepijn van Loon
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:

That's a very interesting point. It's about split halfway between cards with 1 or 2 lines and cards with 3 or more lines. Here's another example of a card with some more text up top:

Maybe I should go with the 3rd option and only center text vertically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oloring wrote:
Bichatse wrote:

That's a very interesting point. It's about split halfway between cards with 1 or 2 lines and cards with 3 or more lines.

[...]

Maybe I should go with the 3rd option and only center text vertically.

Centered text just looks weird to me if there are more than two lines of it (unless they are exceptionally short lines, like 2 or 3 words each). Since a significant number of cards will have more than two lines of text, it makes more sense to justify all of them. I prefer that all full lines be justified both left and right, with the final partial line justified left only. As for the vertical alignment, I think the text looks slightly better in the middle, but I would not complain if it were at the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Center short text. Left-justified paragraph style for anything over two lines. Stuff that's two lines could go either way.

Aside from looking good, this is also the style the Magic: the Gathering has recently migrated to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Foster
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Centered, by far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepijn van Loon
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help and great tips everyone!

I've done some experimenting on a few different cards and I think I've settled on justified text with vertical centering. (with some slight adjustments to the text box when needed to make the text wrap better)

Like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
"justified text with vertical centering"

- Agree. That's what I came here to suggest and seems the best compromise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estefania Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
The third one is the best one. Left aligned text is always easier to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Masters of Gettown
msg tools
publisher
Left align with vertical centering does look the best, good choice.

I personally love the cards, the double sided idea and the look. The only thing I would say is, if you can reduce the height of the two text boxes, then you will have a lot more space for card art in the middle. At the moment it looks like you have some cool illustrations in the middle so show them off more.

Magic the gathering is a very good example of this where the best recieved cards have stunning full card art and the worst looking ones are recognized as having the smallest, most reduced art.

Your cards still look wonderful having less than a third of the card as artwork but, if you can get the art strip bigger they would be even better.

Whats more exciting for example, seeing more of the art (even if it is a characters sleeve) or more of the text box (just space)?

As long as the font size doesn't go below 12 you should have some room to wiggle.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.