Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Crawford
United States
Chester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the Government is torture.

How can I keep from going broke? I know I tend to spend what I can on pacification during the Propaganda Support Phase--and this makes for a meager military budget the rest of the campaign--is this a mistake?

I think the restraints and "law of unintended consequences" that operate in this game is very historical. I'm just looking for something I can try to make the last half of a campaign something more than praying for the Propaganda Card to come out.

Does it come down to the roll of the dice on a Coup d'etat (where, before I roll, I raise my arms and say to the dice, "Je vous ai compris!")?

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Playing the Government is torture.

Good... gooood....

It's not a bad idea to spend what you can on Pacification during the Support Phase, it is cheaper and you can do it in a wider range of spaces, in more spaces.

Take a look at where you get your Resources.
Early game, you get them from keeping French pieces in Available; over time this will decline if you transfer more and more cubes to the map, when you realize how hard it is to fight the whole FLN with just a few pieces.
Later, if/when de Gaulle is in power, you don't get this but you do get resources = total Support, which if you can build up before the Prop round will net you some.
Either way, use the Bases as Resource farms, in higher Pop sectors with Government control (this is not so much generating resources for you, as it is being able to divert military resources that would otherwise be spent governing the countryside back into military operations where they belong).
And Commitment, you want that as high as possible, the only way to raise that on the fly is to kill FLN Bases... so if he ever gives you an opportunity to kill a Base, then take it!
Otherwise don't spend a lot of Resources fluttering around the countryside trying to dominate everything... pick an area of the country you want to secure and concentrate on that.
I have noticed that a lot of players, in their early games as Government, go rushing about trying to do everything in a hurry and then the tank runs dry in the middle of the campaign, as you say.
Well, there is always passing.

And ultimately there is the Coup, but it is chancy - you could gain considerable Resources and Commitment, which also means more Resources, but you could also lose considerable Troops and Commitment - you could get the Troops back but the Commitment is likely lost.

"La valise ou le cerceuil!"

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vins baudet
Spain
Valencia/Castiello de Jaca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing versus the bot can help you to focus and concentrate your actions. I try to not use Coup d´Etat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
Chester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Brian, for your advice. It is true that in my first few games as the government I spread myself too thin, but now I am focusing on a "Beaufre Plan"--Zones Interdites (Free Fire) in 0 population spaces; Zones d'Operations (Killing Grounds) in 1 population spaces where the F.L.N. present themselves to my paras; and, Zones de Pacification (Security) in 2-3 population zones--mainly the cities. I still run out of money pretty quickly and Suez always seems to come at the very worst moment (good play by my opponent).

I thought you might like my poem, "Algiers, 1957" that was a finalist for the Howard Nemerov Sonnet Prize in 2014:

Algiers, 1957

The café bombs had cleared the avenue
of everything, including oxygen—
the sky a thinner, less protective blue,
Algiers itself blown closer to the sun.
I heard the FLN declare success—
the innocent were never their concern.
I heard a Para colonel say, “Unless
we bleach the tank, the algae will return.”
I knew the ratonnades would start tonight
and— pour encourager les autres— maul
the beauty that remained, so I turned right
along Rue Richelieu, away from all
the plate glass shattered and beyond repair,
the fish left gasping in the emptied square.

--Robert Crawford

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Bien entendu!
Sounds like a good plan.

And your sonnet is great!
Thank you for sharing it.

Some time ago when considering titles for this game, I thought of "The Sun Under Arms", from an essay by Jean Senac, a pied noir poet who was a protege of Albert Camus.
But no one would have understood the reference.

Sacre Bleu! The title.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.