Subject: Charm Question (spoiler game 6) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steph Belanger
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
On the Charm proficiency, it states:

Once per turn, you may discard 2 Spells.
If you do, ALL Heroes gain 1 (influence) and draw a card.

My question is, if on your turn (and you play with that proficiency) you happend to play a card that said:
Draw two cards, discard one.

If the discarded card is a spell, is it counting toward for the Charm proficiency?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lockdall

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
badge
weaving waves of air
mbmbmbmbmb
hyperion_99 wrote:
On the Charm proficiency, it states:

Once per turn, you may discard 2 Spells.
If you do, ALL Heroes gain 1 (influence) and draw a card.

My question is, if on your turn (and you play with that proficiency) you happend to play a card that said:
Draw two cards, discard one.

If the discarded card is a spell, is it counting toward for the Charm proficiency?

I believe NO. You must meet the requirements of each statement, and you resolve each one separately.

1. The card says draw two, discard one.

2. Then to meet the charm proficiency requirement you must discard two more spells.

so it doesn't matter what order you do it in. they are separate actions even if chained together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Belanger
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
But what if i volontary choose to discard one card (can i do that?)
And then i play the card who said "draw two, discard one" (dont remember the name).

Isnt that activating the Charm proficiency? Because i would have, once in my turn, discarded two cards?

It was a bit confusing for our group yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Felder
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No. They are both separate items, one that forces you to draw two cards & discard one, and the other you choose whether or not to use. Remember, the Charms Proficiency says you may, not that you have to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarding two cards is the cost to use the ability. To use the ability, the cards discarded can’t include cards being discarded for other reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles C
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the card said, "If you discard 2 Spells, ALL Heroes gain 1 (influence) and draw a card. You may do this once per turn.", it would almost work as you describe, but you can't discard a card just because.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Belanger
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
Thank you very much to all of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheBoxmaker wrote:
Discarding two cards is the cost to use the ability. To use the ability, the cards discarded can’t include cards being discarded for other reasons.

Exactly. thinking that you can gain the charms benefit just because you discarded for other reasons is like seeing a sign saying: "pay $2, get a cheeseburger". and then you claiming that you should get the cheeseburger because you paid $2 for a soda.
That's not how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.