Subject: Crystal Dagger and Felin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Jackson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
So this came up in our game today...
I had a Felin, crystal dagger, prismatic spray, pylorian in one hand. Since dungeon abilities can be done in any order, I want to do the following:
Equip dagger to Felin
Use dagger ability on crystal spray
Roll crystal spray twice.
This works fine, I believe. Now:
Use Felin ability. This makes the dagger fall off.
Equip dagger to pylorian. Legal? (I think yes)
Then use dagger ability again to copy crystal spray again. Legal? (Not sure here... is the dagger ability only usable once a turn?)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Equipping weapons IS NOT a Dungeon ability. Equipping weapons is done BEFORE Dungeon abilities. So if the weapon becomes un-equipped (during the Dungeon ability resolution), you won't have a chance to re-equip it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't work, but not for the reason John stated. Equipping and Dungeon abilities happen during the same "phase", in any order you wish. So, it's not about the order of equipping weapons versus using Dungeon abilities.

The reason that the scenario as described doesn't work is because a Dungeon ability may only be used once per turn. The Crystal Dagger's ability, when used, lets you use a spell's Dungeon ability a second time, but your scenario involves using the Dungeon ability on Crystal Dagger twice, which is not allowed.

[Additionally, when asking for help, please provide the relevant details of cards when asking questions. This will help everyone receive assistance in a timely manner.

Relevant card information:
Crystal Dagger (Weapon): Dungeon: "If wielded by a Wizard, use a Spell's Dungeon ability again."

Prismatic Spray (Spell): Dungeon: "Magic Attack equal to 1D6."

Felin: Gains Physical Attack by reducing Skill by 5, thus preventing her from wielding a weapon, or in the above scenario, causing her to drop the Crystal Dagger she already wielded and used.]

EDIT: Removed incorrect information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
First, you may only equip a weapon to any character once per turn. If the weapon, once equipped, falls off for any reason, it may not be reequipped to the same or a different Hero.

Are you sure about that? I thought, usually this is justified by the fact that weapon removal normally only happens right before battle, i.e. when entering the room and fighting the monster. In that case the phase for dungeon abilities and equipping weapons has passed already. However, if you cause the removal yourself during that phase, I'm not sure a weapon couldn't be reequipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanBradford wrote:
XeyneGaming wrote:
First, you may only equip a weapon to any character once per turn. If the weapon, once equipped, falls off for any reason, it may not be reequipped to the same or a different Hero.

Are you sure about that? I thought, usually this is justified by the fact that weapon removal normally only happens right before battle, i.e. when entering the room and fighting the monster. In that case the phase for dungeon abilities and equipping weapons has passed already. However, if you cause the removal yourself during that phase, I'm not sure a weapon couldn't be reequipped.

I was misremembering a previous thread on these forums where we had a long discussion about weapons. If a weapon somehow became dropped before starting your movement through the dungeon because you reduced a Hero's Skill, you can re-equip it to a different character.

Most of the time a weapon-based interaction came up, the "combo" didn't work because, 1.) You cannot "over-equip" a character past their Skill value with the intention of causing it to drop a different weapon, and 2.) You cannot use the same Dungeon ability on a weapon multiple times, regardless of who it is equipped to.

But you could do something as simple as equipping Crystal Dagger to Felin, using the dagger's ability, then Felin's ability (causing the weapon to be dropped), then equipping Crystal Dagger to another non-wizard character to actually get the Attack value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jackson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
So, everything works up to trying to use the crystal dagger ability again. That’s how we played it. Thanks!

One other related question about the dagger. Same scenario... except:
What about the “static ability” of the dagger? “Wielding hero has +1 level”. Can you equip it on Felin, check level for an ability such as Magic Missile, let it fall off by activating Felin, re-equip on a different hero, and check level on the new hero for a different ability, such as lightning bolt?
Assuming normally legal interactions outside this one...

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gcsdewfsj wrote:
So, everything works up to trying to use the crystal dagger ability again. That’s how we played it. Thanks!

One other related question about the dagger. Same scenario... except:
What about the “static ability” of the dagger? “Wielding hero has +1 level”. Can you equip it on Felin, check level for an ability such as Magic Missile, let it fall off by activating Felin, re-equip on a different hero, and check level on the new hero for a different ability, such as lightning bolt?
Assuming normally legal interactions outside this one...

Thanks again!

This wouldn't work for Magic Missile. At the time it is relevant, i.e., when Magic Missile checks the level of a hero, which is during battle, Felin wouldn't have the +1 level anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These answers are correct (in their final versions as noted), including the Magic Missile response.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Moore
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
when can you roll the prismatic spray dice?
before you move so you can decide where to go because of your role?
after you move and the battle starts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddog wrote:
when can you roll the prismatic spray dice?
before you move so you can decide where to go because of your role?
after you move and the battle starts?

It is a Dungeon ability, so you need to use it (and make that roll) before moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.