Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

Which way to go if the purpose is to essentially (90% of the time) play this game solo?

Which starting box and why one instead of the other?
Which small expansion?
Which big expansion?

Etc..

I know much of it depends on the heroes/villains that one like and I know that you shouldn't buy everything at once.

I'm just asking as a soloist (maybe there are some expansions which are not preferred in this case) and I'm trying to plan, at least on paper, the possible future acquisitions in that perspective too.

Keep also in mind that I'm a casual gamer. I like to play for the narrative. I'm not a strategist, tactician or optimizer.
So, I don't need the game to be very challenging. I just expect it to be, at least, moderately challenging.
My main concern is that I want it to tell a story.

About heroes Vs villains: I like the fact that you could play a villain instead of a hero but I'm not sure I know as much villains as I know heroes, so... it's a tie.
Playing both sides would be nice I guess.

Last but not least, I like the marvel Universe but I'm not a big connaisseur.
My preferred heroes are quite common: Daredevil/Elektra, Punisher, Nightcrawler, Spider-Man, Vision, (X-men are ok).
Those I absolutely don't care about: Fantastic four, Guardian of the Galaxy, Ghost Rider, Captain America, The Shield.
These are not a comprehensive list but just a guide.

I hope these info will help you help me choose wisely.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
baylock wrote:
Hi,
Which starting box and why one instead of the other?

Well, currently there are only 2 options - Heroes and Villains.
I personally favor the heroes because I despise the fact that villains have some really broken stuff.

Also Villains set has a lot more PvP elements than the regular set, so you are better off as a soloist going for regular core than Heroes.
Though nothing prevents you from going both if you want.

baylock wrote:

Which small expansion?

Well, if you don't want Guardians or Fantastic four and don't care about Captain American much, your options aren't that big

Deadpool is one that I skipped because it's really funny stuff, but the humor won't survive much repeat plays.
I still suggest you read the spoilers though.

Paint the Town Red has a lot of Spidey content if you like him so that's your best bet.

Fear Itself is a villain set, while it can mix with the heroes rather well, if you're looking for a story keep in mind that these are really alternate versions of certain heroes\villains that were possessed. So may or may not speak to you.

Champions seems like a promising set, but I'll admit I haven't gotten my copy yet.

Noir I skipped so can't say much about it.
Same for Homecomming.

baylock wrote:

Which big expansion?

Well Dark City is the best recommended set. A lot of people will say it's a must have with the core set. It also has almost all of your favorites including Daredevil, Elektra, Punisher and Nightcrawler

(Also has Ghost Rider which you don't care as much, but that's less of an issue)

Xmen you're not much of a fan so you could skip it for now. It also beefed up the difficulty - a LOT.

Secret Wars 1 & 2 has a lot of minor alternate versions of heroes. Not sure if that speaks to you or not. It adds the option of playing the mastermind but honestly you play solo so it doesn't matter.

Civil War, I personally skipped because I didn't like a lot of the choices in it. But it has another Spideman for you (Peter Parker) and Vision. It does have some interesting mechanics like Divided (also in Xmen) and Fortify.

baylock wrote:

About heroes Vs villains: I like the fact that you could play a villain instead of a hero but I'm not sure I know as much villains as I know heroes, so... it's a tie.
Playing both sides would be nice I guess.

If this is a concern, I think Secret Wars has the most mixture of villains and heroes in the same set. So maybe you would like it better.

Also, I'm going to bet you actually know more villains than heroes. Since most heroes have at least several villains they fight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
flag msg tools
I bought pretty much everything at once. Why not just learn everything together? Ive played about 10 games this week. I'm still learning characters, but I've got everything down gameplay wise except for the Guardian tokens!

Shield is a big part of the core set. You start every game with shield agents and troopers. And Maria Hill is always staring you in in eyes.

I think based off what you said though that Base and Dark City would be fine for you to start. It's a recommended start around here too. It gives you most of who you like.

Vision is in the Civil War box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I primarily play solo as well. I’d put the Villains core set, Fear Itself, and Deadpool at the bottom of the list. And use the Advance solo rules from Dark City expansion. You can get it from manual online if you don’t own the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary does not really tell a story. If you work at it, you can imagine a group of heroes teaming up to fight a mastermind who’s intent on a terrible scheme... in the end, though, it’s a game with elements of luck and strategy, and a solid layer of theme. If you go in expecting an RPG, you’re gonna be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't expect an RPG.
"Telling a story" means going beyond the mechanics with something emerging from the theme.
If all you recall from a session is how you managed a set of cards on a board, then it's not what I want. I hate those games with pasted themes.
If, like in Legendary encounters: an Alien DB, you recall from a session that you somehow went through a mission for about 2 hours, then I'm fine.

PS: thanks guys, there are some great advices out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Albertson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I definitely use my matches to tell stories, and it doesn't matter whether I'm doing random setups or constructed. So while the game itself isn't telling the stories, it's giving me the framework to do so.

For example, last night we played a match in which the Maker (custom Mastermind) had lured Invisible Woman, Phoenix, and some space-faring heroes out to an asteroid that was infested with Brood (Alien Brood Encounters scheme from X-Men). The heroes were about to finish off Maker when the Dark Phoenix took control of Jean Grey and obliterated everything on the asteroid (Phoenix's rare can cause its user to win and everyone else to lose).

We followed that up with a Dark Alliance (scheme from one of the Secret Wars sets) between the Dark Phoenix (MM from X-Men) and Kang (custom MM). We sent a whole bunch of enemies and allies of the Fantastic Four against them, but ultimately Kang bested us.

This led to a third match, where Kang now rules over all of earth, and has Gone Back in Time to Slay Heroes' Ancestors (scheme from the Cap set). We sent the Champions and Cloak & Dagger to try and stop that from happening but were once again defeated.

Now we're setting up for our next match. Loki, Enchantress, Thor, and Lady Thor vs. Kang, because there is no way the Asgardians are going to let Kang Unite the Shards (GotG scheme) of the Infinity Gems!

So yeah, there is plenty of story to this game as long as you want there to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deutsch
msg tools
I looks like Base hero set and Dark City are the sets to start with.

As far as building stories around my games, I always do and I have a blast. It is fun to try to imagine why the chosen heroes would end up fighting the chosen mastermind and why the chosen mastermind would try to complete the chosen scheme. I also will think of stories and build games around them.

I recently had King Hyperion trying to send out secret killbots of world leaders in order to spread his domain. Pitted against him was a team hastily put together by Agent Venom and SHIELD, which included Agent Venom, the alien visitors Groot and Rocket, the mutant Polaris, and the lighting-wielding shark-puncher Arkhon. Hyperion did release a few killbots but the team overcame their differences in time to unite and fight the larger menace.

Story telling is totally possible!

Here are some resources for new players: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28763994#28763994.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiggliest Puff
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the Base Set (heroes, not villains), Dark City big box expansion and Noir small box expansion sound like they'd be up your alley. Though the first two set there have a lot of x-men, Dark City ups the difficulty and adds a lot of Daredevil-style characters to the mix.

Noir is one of my favorite expansions because it leans into the theme of the set with an investigations mechanic. In general the smaller boxes fit better with telling a story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your very helpful comments!

So, this is what I'm going for then (in that order):

- Heroes base set
- Dark City
- Noir
- Paint the town red (optional)

This is cool because the set is quite in sync with my likings as I like the Dark series and heroes of the Marvel Comics.
And even though it's not the base set alone, it's still limited in scope as there is only one big expansion and one or two small ones. It's financially manageable and gameplay wise not too overwhelming while getting enough options for quite a long time (hopefully).

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tommy lavoncher
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hello,

FWIW- i think we may be similar style players with this game. I know that it is not inherently an rpg- but i recently have been working on an rpg format for solo play. so far i have completed 15 challenges in the story and have the entire second half outlined. I am currently playing through the current end game (to test/modify) and then plan to post the entire game set up here at bgg. -if that is something that would be welcomed.

i have been making games and writing stories for a good portion of my life and this is the largest project to date i have tinkered with. It is absolutely possible to play an rpg-lite format with the game.

The only sets i own are the Base game and Dark City- so the format uses ONLY those cards available.

Wanted to post here to also mark the thread for myself to come back and update you once i have completed the "Game Manual- Story Guide"

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That sounds very cool.
I'm looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
Thank you all for your very helpful comments!

So, this is what I'm going for then (in that order):

- Heroes base set
- Dark City
- Noir
- Paint the town red (optional)

This is cool because the set is quite in sync with my likings as I like the Dark series and heroes of the Marvel Comics.
And even though it's not the base set alone, it's still limited in scope as there is only one big expansion and one or two small ones. It's financially manageable and gameplay wise not too overwhelming while getting enough options for quite a long time (hopefully).

Thank you!

You chose really well. Those are some of my favorites. I really like the artwork on Noir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Medaris
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My two cents, though I'm a bit late to the party:

Go the heroes route and buy the base Legendary set. As others have mentioned, the villains set is more PvPish.

If you are planing on buying one small box and one big box expansion, the choice is pretty simple to me, given your preferences. Dark City feels like a necessary add-on to the starting set. It gives you so many more heroes and the masterminds are rather good.

For the small box, go Paint the Town Red. I love the masterminds and the villains in this set. The masterminds' cards really give you a sense you are fighting those characters.

I hope you enjoy Legendary as much as the rest of us!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your advice!
Eventually, your opinion just got rid of the parentheses in my list here above ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.