Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Focus on only one factions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it stupid to focus on only one faction i want to play? I ask because i really really Like this game but all People say that the game is so expensive. I know there is better cards sometimes for the ships in other factions but i really want to play this game but would also hold it on a budget.....is that possible or should i just drop the game? I really love the ships in scum and villains
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just proxy the cards you don't own (pretend you own them and play as if you would). In casual settings, nobody should have a problem with that. If you want to go to tournaments, if you find out where your local community hangs out, I'm sure somebody will be able to lend you the cards you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“So most men teach, and few men learn.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
badge
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's great to focus on only one faction for your personal collection, as long as you've got a game group or others with their own collections to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“So most men teach, and few men learn.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
badge
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
mbmbmbmbmb
And the Scum and villainy faction is my favorite! Good choice there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a lot of people focus on just one faction. This game can easily turn into a money sink (I speak from experience) but you can also spend just $100 and have a tournament worthy list. As was said above, proxy cards you don't own. If you need them for a tournament ask if you can borrow them, go to eBay and buy them individually, or buy the expansions if you think you might enjoy trying that ship. Expand your collection because you want to, not because you feel you need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xbeaker wrote:
I know a lot of people focus on just one faction. This game can easily turn into a money sink (I speak from experience) but you can also spend just $100 and have a tournament worthy list. As was said above, proxy cards you don't own. If you need them for a tournament ask if you can borrow them, go to eBay and buy them individually, or buy the expansions if you think you might enjoy trying that ship. Expand your collection because you want to, not because you feel you need to.

If i only focus on one faction is it then possible ex. To play against my little brother and we both play scum faction against each other? (my brother don't own Any x wing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dummiz wrote:
xbeaker wrote:

If i only focus on one faction is it then possible ex. To play against my little brother and we both play scum faction against each other? (my brother don't own Any x wing)

Yeah, no problems. You'll just need enough ships to fill the same number of points for both sides - tournament games play at 100 points, but you can easily play with 60 or 120. Or go epic and play with 300.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can fly whatever you want against each other. From a "theme" perspective it might not make sense to fly Rebels versus Rebels but from a mechanics perspective the game works fine. Same for Scum v. Scum or Imperial v. Imperial or whatever combination you decide to try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dummiz wrote:

It is certainly possible, though it is generally considered the more expensive route. Only because you need a core set to play, and the core set comes with an X-wing and 2 TIE fighters. So those will be 'wasted' if you are flying scum. Fortunately if you are only playing against your brother you will only need 1. In normal play each player is expected to have their own core set with a complete damage deck. But if you are just playing at home, you can draw from the same deck.

You will probably want to start off with the Most Wanted expansion. It is the only way to get the pilot cards for the scum versions of the Y-wing (included in the expansion) Z-wing (also included in the expansion) Firespray (Sold separate) and HWK-290 (sold separate). Though this expansion is a pretty good value, at MSRP of $40 you get 3 ships which normally cost $15 each. Nothing is stopping you from skipping all of those ships of course if you have no interest in any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try a local tournament at some point. That Why i would collect more than just the core set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Foster
United States
Eagle Bend
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point, were I you I would feel free to focus on just one faction. 2nd edition was just announced. In September there will be a new core set and faction conversion boxes. This will get you all the cards and cardboard for currently released ships. They are redoing how expansions work and newly released ships will come with all the cards from the wave that they need, so you will not have to purchase cross faction if you don't want to.

Also, I would wait to purchase the Slave 1 ship if you have not already. It will be in the first wave of Scum and Villainy and you will not need to buy an extra pack (Most Wanted) to be able to run it.

It should be much easier to play a single faction on a budget going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.