Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agnes Baker is on Y'ha-nthlei (Innsmouth board) during the Arkham Encounters Phase. She draws a card and discovers a door that leads to the Esoteric Order of Dagon. If she passes through the door, she is directed to move there and "have an encounter."

She goes to the new location, but there is an open gate there. Normally, she would be drawn into the gate. But the original card directed her to "have an encounter."

So, does she pull an Encounter Card or get sucked into the gate?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack
Poland
Warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
What a lovely day!
badge
Santa Paws
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I would assume that "have an encounter" in this particular case means "be sucked into the gate". Normally, when you move to the location with an open gate - you are not being drawn into the gate immediately. You wait until the Arkham Encounters Phase - and your encounter is, in fact, going through the gate (instead of drawing a location card). So in this case, card does not tell you to "draw a location card there", just "have an encounter" which mean to follow the normal flow of actions (be sucked in)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My ruling would be that she is sucked into the gate for two reasons:

1. You get sucked into gates instead of encounters during the Arkham Encounter ohase, and that seems to fit the bill here.
2. Even when you have the explored token, you don't get to have encounters at locations with open gates..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. That comports with the way I was thinking, but I wasn't sure.

This makes me happy. I need to close these gates!

BTW--I'm soloing with four random investigators--Darrell Simmons, Agnes Baker, Gloria Goldberg, and William Yorick. And THREE of them randomly drew Elder Signs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
Thanks, guys. That comports with the way I was thinking, but I wasn't sure.

This makes me happy. I need to close these gates!

BTW--I'm soloing with four random investigators--Darrell Simmons, Agnes Baker, Gloria Goldberg, and William Yorick. And THREE of them randomly drew Elder Signs!

What could go wrong ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Bergmann
Brazil
flag msg tools
From the FAQ:

Q: If a location card tells an investigator that he may move to another location and have an encounter there, what happens if the location has any monsters, clue tokens, and/or a gate on it?
A: Ignore all monsters and clue tokens at the new location. Monsters on the board are only dealt with during the Movement Phase. The investigator has a normal Arkham Encounters Phase at the new location, following either the “Gate” or “No Gate” instructions on pages 8-9 of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
redeye wrote:

What could go wrong ?

You had to go and jinx it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darrell Simmons got into a pickle pretty quick. Innsmouth got overrun by monsters but also had the first open gates, so Darrell decided to rush there. He raced onto Church Green and whacked a cultist. Then another advanced on him, and he whacked him.

Then a vampire advanced on him. Then a Formless Spawn, a Witch, and a Nightgaunt.

Surprisingly, he destroyed the vampire and Nightgaunt, while evading the other two.

But the Formless Spawn finally took him down. He never made it to the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.