Hide
10 Posts

Brass» Forums » General

Subject: "You've already built all available industries" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Worm Johnson
msg tools
Playing the app. Trying to build a shipyard in the rail era and it keeps giving me a "You've already built all available industries" message saying I can't build them.

-I have enough money
-I'm trying in 3 eligible locations.
-I have a shipyard card AND the Barrow-in-Furnes location card. I also have a connected railway into Liverpool (in which I own 2 ports).
-It's my first action so shouldn't I have the "build anywhere you want for 2 cards and 2 actions" option?
-I have the shipyard tech maxed out for development.

What is this error message and why am I getting it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
worm4life wrote:
-I have the shipyard tech maxed out for development.

My guess based on the message: you over-developed.
You no longer have any Shipyard tiles left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
worm4life wrote:
"You've already built all available industries"

What is this error message and why am I getting it?

taking the error message on it's face it sounds like you either already built both level 2 shipyards? Or you accidentally developed away one or both of them?

Quote:
It's my first action so shouldn't I have the "build anywhere you want for 2 cards and 2 actions" option?

the what option??? or is that 2nd "2" a typo and you meant use 2 cards on your turn as a wild card single (1) action this turn?

do you have a screen shot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
[
Quote:
It's my first action so shouldn't I have the "build anywhere you want for 2 cards and 2 actions" option?

the what option??? or is that 2nd "2" a typo and you meant use 2 cards on your turn as a wild card single (1) action this turn?

do you have a screen shot?

He means the double action build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Worm Johnson
msg tools
Oh, you LOSE the ability to actually build any shipyard if you max out the development????

That seems...silly. I thought it was odd that it let you keep developing after you unlocked level 2, but I figured maybe you to complete the 3rd one to get that.

But why on earth would you ever want to spend actions and iron "developing" it past level 2 if all it does it hurt you? Why is that even an option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
worm4life wrote:
Oh, you LOSE the ability to actually build any shipyard if you max out the development????

That seems...silly. I thought it was odd that it let you keep developing after you unlocked level 2, but I figured maybe you to complete the 3rd one to get that.

But why on earth would you ever want to spend actions and iron "developing" it past level 2 if all it does it hurt you? Why is that even an option?

It's true that you wouldn't often do this, but if the shipyards are already full it's a good way to burn up iron to flip an iron works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
worm4life wrote:

You could want to do it in order to flip one of your iron works.

Ninja'd ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
worm4life wrote:

It seems you've misunderstood how developing works or at least are not thinking about it correctly. You should not think about it as "developing up to a level" or "maxing out a track" but rather as "getting rid of less desirable tiles that are in your way." Lower level tiles are there to get in your way and you get rid of them by either building or developing. Developing is usually the faster way to do it which is why it's such a strong action.

However the downside is you are very very strictly piece limited. Once you've built/developed away all of an industry you are done with that industry so you should never developed an industry that is at it's maxed level if you intend to build that industry.

It seems you've fallen into an unfortunate pitfall in thinking that you have an unlimited number of an industry and whenever you build one it's level is based on a (not actually existent) development level. Sadly you are limited to 2 level 2 Shipyards so once they are gone so are any further dreams of building them.

As for why the game lets you do it, there are niche situations where you want to get rid of the iron so always being able to develop away industries makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
It seems you've misunderstood how developing works or at least are not thinking about it correctly. You should not think about it as "developing up to a level" or "maxing out a track" but rather as "getting rid of less desirable tiles that are in your way." Lower level tiles are there to get in your way and you get rid of them by either building or developing. Developing is usually the faster way to do it which is why it's such a strong action.

However the downside is you are very very strictly piece limited. Once you've built/developed away all of an industry you are done with that industry so you should never developed an industry that is at it's maxed level if you intend to build that industry.

It seems you've fallen into an unfortunate pitfall in thinking that you have an unlimited number of an industry and whenever you build one it's level is based on a (not actually existent) development level. Sadly you are limited to 2 level 2 Shipyards so once they are gone so are any further dreams of building them.

To be fair, the app version does a miserable job of communicating this limitation in general, and only once I understood the mechanics was I able to infer that in the physical game this must be represented by each person having a personal stack of tiles for each industry that you either build to the board or trash via developing, and you can always only build the top one.

I'd actually recommend reading the rules for the physical version to understand how the game works and what the components are, then playing the app to understand the flow of the game and gotchas that'll trip you up the first few times (like no more than one industry per player per location during the canal era).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from BGG:Brass Lancashire>>> to >>>>VGG: Brass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.