Subject: Question about market majorities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Meckler
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
We played our first game tonight, went very well. We had one quibble with the rules.

As written, the rules state that if a player has "market majority" in a city, then he gets the Taler if someone else buys a good marker there. Everyone seemed to think it made much more sense to only require that a player have more markets than anyone else, and not a full majority. Is that how it should be played, or does a player really need a true majority to get income from goods purchased in a city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Re:Question about market majorities
We have played it that a simple majority is required, not absolute - that's how we construed the rules as written. I think it would otherwise be very difficult to gain any meaningful income from having majorities and yet by the end of the game have redistributed market booths effectively enough to have a scoring presence in sufficient cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
LCG Mike (#33220),

I agree with both of you. The rules *sort of* imply this in the list under "buy goods". It talks about "multiple players" being "tied for the market majority", and, although the list seems to be exhaustive, it doesn't list an example in which a player would not have a majority but also not be tied with others. So I read "majority" as actually meaning "plurality". Plus, as you both said, it makes more sense that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Rosanski
Germany
Duisburg
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LCG Mike (#33220),

The german rule says: "Er zahlt für die Marke 1 Taler. Den Taler erhält der Spieler, der als einziger die meisten Marktstände in der Stadt hat." (He pays 1 Taler for the good. The Taler goes to the player, who is the only one with the most markets.)

So, the majority is not meant in an absolute sense (which would be more markets than the sum of all others), but in an relative sense, i.e. the player who has more marktes than any other player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LCG Mike (#33220),

Even in the English rules:

"if multiple players are tied for the Market Booth majority, then the Taler is paid to the bank."

There would be no way to have a tie for majority if it were absolute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.