mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First time playing: it was, in a word; awful
Several factors involved one of which I didn't understand the rules but also I think the person who owned the game thought I had played it before and then crushed me on purpose. I wasn't even reminded to gain resources every round.

Second time I went through the motions and copied what others did, a fourth player was needed so I volunteered (no one else would). Eh.....it was okay.

Third time (yesterday): It clicked for me. The guy who owned it took the time to explain every detail to me. I actually enjoyed playing it.

I knew it was a good game, I wanted to have nothing to do with after my first try, I'm glad I gave it a third chance. I'm now a fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you stuck it out. It is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the club!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Bunzel
Germany
Düsseldorf
North-Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
And after your next 5 games, you never want to play anything else
Very glad, that you found it. Brilliant game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I wasn't even reminded to gain resources every round.

I remind everyone each time I play, no matter how experienced we all are. "Energy to heat, then produce and clear your used blue action cards"

I can't imagine enjoying playing a game where someone lost while missing key steps of the game round.

Very glad to hear you had better experiences subsequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar happened to me once with the game Imperial Settlers.

We played 3p, and 2 of us had never played before. The guy who taught it gave an awful rules explanation then said he wanted to play as the barbarians as he had a great strategy for playing with them.

He smashed us both and it was a horrible experience as neither of us really knew what we were doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thrasher
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
These are great examples of how NOT to introduce new players to a game. If you love a game and want to play it often, take the time to teach people how to play. Help them see what is wonderful about the game. Don't use their first time as an opportunity to pull off a massive victory. Anyone can do that. It doesn't make you a champion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
chrishall20 wrote:
Similar happened to me once with the game Imperial Settlers.

We played 3p, and 2 of us had never played before. The guy who taught it gave an awful rules explanation then said he wanted to play as the barbarians as he had a great strategy for playing with them.

He smashed us both and it was a horrible experience as neither of us really knew what we were doing.

It sounds like he didn't know either. Or maybe he was trying to make a joke about Tharsis? Also I have a lingering fear that he had invented his own overpowered corporation, then used it to smash newbies.

crapstorm wrote:
These are great examples of how NOT to introduce new players to a game. If you love a game and want to play it often, take the time to teach people how to play. Help them see what is wonderful about the game.

Agree! For many people, much of their opinion of a game revolves around their first experience. Making that experience as fun as possible is the game-runner's job. Winning is not a priority. I am so glad to see that the OP overcame that bad first experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason DuVall

Compton
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had two "Learning Game" experiences with TfM recently. The first was my wife, who had been resisting playing TfM for months. She'd seen it, she had a vague interest in it, but was more interested in playing faster games like Splendor, where she could get a half-dozen games in the time that one game of TfM would take (especially with that group, who are slow enough to make a TfM game take 4 hours). After being given a mostly cursory explanation, she opted to play her first game the same way I played my first game - play it "live," learn on the go, and learn from her mistakes on the fly.

At the end of the game, she said it was incredibly fun, and hit just the right notes for her. She's looking forward to playing again.

Teaching her gave me some awareness of my own weaknesses in explanations, which came in handy the very next night at a different group. One of the players was experienced like me, while the other three were all new to the game. I gave a full explanation to one of them, and when the other two showed up (we were waiting on them), I rewound and gave a faster explanation to them as well.

We went slower, explaining how things worked as they went, and again, once the game was over, all of them definitely enjoyed it and were talking about what they needed to do differently in their next game.

The most notable thing was that both my wife and the new players in the other group all realized the same thing - that they weren't focusing enough on the board, and were overwhelmed by the cards - without being prompted. The more experienced players assured them that it was common for new players. Everyone goes through that sort of learning arc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I now am the proud owner of my very copy!!!!!

I am feel SOOOOO much better about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.