Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At GDC18 Tom Lehmann gave a fascinating talk on Race and game design. I was glued to it, as both a Race fan and someone who takes an (armchair) interest in game design.

One of the things that caught my eye was his mention of a new Race expansion that adds to the Xeno arc called Xeno Counter Strike. The Xenos have regrouped and are fighting back! (That's my take, not something Tom said).

If anyone has any more info, and what new elements this expansion will bring to the game, I'd love to hear about it! (I don't want to wait till next year to play this!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Xeno Counter Strike preview
I believe the idea is actually that after the invasion is repelled, the fight is being taken to the xenos.

Beyond that, I got nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiggers wrote:
At GDC18 Tom Lehmann gave a fascinating talk on Race and game design. I was glued to it, as both a Race fan and someone who takes an (armchair) interest in game design.

One of the things that caught my eye was his mention of a new Race expansion that adds to the Xeno arc called Xeno Counter Strike. The Xenos have regrouped and are fighting back! (That's my take, not something Tom said).

If anyone has any more info, and what new elements this expansion will bring to the game, I'd love to hear about it! (I don't want to wait till next year to play this!)

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/28142147#28142147

Not a whole lot of additional info then what you have so far. Tom did confirm that the basic idea was the players successfully fended off the Xenos and are now taking the fight to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
tiggers wrote:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/28142147#28142147

Not a whole lot of additional info then what you have so far. Tom did confirm that the basic idea was the players successfully fended off the Xenos and are now taking the fight to them.

Thanks. I hadn't seen that thread. Now subscribed to a bunch of Race news/speculation threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiggers wrote:

Considering that the expansions is even considered for 2018 release and wtahta Tom Lehmann wrote that he does previews several months/weeks before release (when a game design is finished and game is in production/transit) it is very unlikely to get any new official information this year. Even 2019 WASN'T confirmed as the release year.
Tom Lehmann wrote:
XI's sequel, XCS, has been green-lit and we've tested some of its many parts, but it has been bumped back by 5 other RGG projects -- not all of them Race-related -- two of which (Roll: Rivalry and [SECRET]) are mostly done. I *hope* to return to XCS late this year. When I write the XCS secret history and designer preview sometime in 2019? 2020? [...]

So please change thread name because it is a bit misleading...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rafal100 wrote:
tiggers wrote:

Considering that the expansions is even considered for 2018 release and wtahta Tom Lehmann wrote that he do previews several months/weeks before release (when a game desing is finished and game is in production/transit) it is very inlikely to get any new official information this year. And even 2019 year WASN'T confirmed as a release year.
Tom Lehmann wrote:
XI's sequel, XCS, has been green-lit and we've tested some of its many parts, but it has been bumped back by 5 other RGG projects -- not all of them Race-related -- two of which (Roll: Rivalry and [SECRET]) are mostly done. I *hope* to return to XCS late this year. When I write the XCS secret history and designer preview sometime in 2019? 2020? [...]

So please change thread name because it is a bit misleading...

Added a question mark. Hope that helps make it clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom talks about XCS a little bit in this video, starting around the 1:12:00 mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNHPRMLyOsE
The key point is that XCS is designed to make the game go longer, namely the counter-strike part comes after the invasion has completed, assuming it's been fended off successfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
That's quite interesting! Bigger tableau, bigger combos. I assume usual game end conditions (cards and running out of points) will be extended after repelling Xenos to allow for the longer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
I have the least exciting prediction ever: there will be more, bigger military worlds. And possibly more expensive civilian/development cards. 7 dev anyone?

Now I'm grumpy because I had this idea before I read the bottom posts about making the game longer, but no one will believe me. I thought bigger military worlds were coming because it's too easy to conquer the 9 military Xeno Forward Command, so obviously it need bigger targets. And the card name implies there's main command too, which should be bigger than forward command.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered if we would see a high cost development too. 6-9 cost fixed scoring. Like the two from the first arc. Theme wise I'm thinking of an Anti-Xeno superweapon.

I also wondered if we would see a 10+ defence military world (Xeno Homeworld?). Xeno Forward Command seems like the easiest 9-defence military world to play. It almost seems easier to play than some of the 7-8 defence worlds in some formats. As an aside from the artwork Xeno Forward Command looks like it should be easy higher than 9 defence. That thing is enormous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.