Theseus: The Dark Orbit» Forums » Rules

Subject: What actions are mandatory? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caine Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
In the rule book, in my opinion any ways, it's very unclear if the game gives you any options. For instance, when it gets to phase 3 in the instructions it just tells you that you activate, not "May". Some players disliked the tech bay being mandatory and ruining some of their plays. Either we're playing it wrong and I'm forcing them to do it this way, or somethin's amuck. There are other issues as well, like the scientist, they had an action card that made them install pending cards. In the actual rule book it states "2) Action Cards Phase - After finishing his Move, the player resolves ALL the Actions of ALL his installed Action cards in the sector in which he stopped [if he has any installed Action cards there]. The game ended pretty quick because they were installing cards left 'n' right.

Am I wrong? Let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand your concerns. Are you questioning the game's balance are ambiguity of the rules?
The movement is always mandatory. The sector's action is always mandatory, the action cards are mandatory as well, iirc, unless a card states that "you may do something". The pending card phase is the only optional phase.

The thing is to outmaneuver your opponent to force them into a spot they do not want to end up in.
If your opponent installed card after card through one of the action cards then either they were positioning their pawns properly or you played it bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc H
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Mariusz and don't quite understand either...to use your example, with the tech bay, I always go after my opponent's cards, not mine. I'm happy to ruin their plays if possible!

It's been a while since I played, so I may be off here, but: even if the scientist runs out of cards to install, that only moves the timer token when he can't refill the pending slot. So when that slot is already empty, the timer does not move forward. We have found that this threatens to end the game, but usually does not actually finish it.

Can you give us a few specific examples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SnakeFace wrote:
In the rule book, in my opinion any ways, it's very unclear if the game gives you any options. For instance, when it gets to phase 3 in the instructions it just tells you that you activate, not "May". Some players disliked the tech bay being mandatory and ruining some of their plays. Either we're playing it wrong and I'm forcing them to do it this way, or somethin's amuck.

The main options you have in the game are A) which piece to move, B) which space to move the piece into if there are multiple available, and C) which module to install or enemy module to replace. An action is only optional if it explicitly says so (i.e. "optionally" or "may").

Tech Bay is mandatory, as the rulebook even says: "This sector action is mandatory, even if its effect would be disadvantageous for the player".

The strategy in the game is based on placement of both modules and pieces. Since the distance a piece moves is based on the total number of pieces in a location, it is strategic to leave your pieces in locations that force enemies to move into traps (or sometimes to the Tech Bay which might force them to move their other pieces into traps).

Quote:
There are other issues as well, like the scientist, they had an action card that made them install pending cards. In the actual rule book it states "2) Action Cards Phase - After finishing his Move, the player resolves ALL the Actions of ALL his installed Action cards in the sector in which he stopped [if he has any installed Action cards there]. The game ended pretty quick because they were installing cards left 'n' right.

Installing a card through a card action does NOT refill the pending card slot. Refilling the pending slot only occurs during the Pending Card Phase. The card you are referring to allows you to get your pending cards into play faster, but does NOT move more cards out of your deck into pending slots.

Doc_H wrote:
It's been a while since I played, so I may be off here, but: even if the scientist runs out of cards to install, that only moves the timer token when he can't refill the pending slot. So when that slot is already empty, the timer does not move forward. We have found that this threatens to end the game, but usually does not actually finish it.

Remember that every time you land in a location with pending slots you must either A) fill an empty pending spot, B) remove an enemies card and fill the resulting empty pending slot, or C) install one of your pending cards and fill the resulting empty pending slot.

All 3 2 of these options involve filling a pending slot (which would move the timer). The timer moves when you have to place a card in a Pending Card Slot (for any reason) and cannot, not just when you are replacing a card. When you are out of cards, almost every move you make moves the timer (assuming you don't land your last piece in the tech bay, which has no pending slots to fill). Installing a card (other than in the Pending Card phase) does NOT move the timer, since you do not attempt to fill a pending card slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
All 3 of these options involve filling a pending slot (which would move the timer). The timer moves when you have to place a card in a Pending Card Slot (for any reason) and cannot, not just when you are replacing a card.
That's not true. You only move the timer forward when you are forced to fill the slot with a card (because you used the card that was there) and not when you would like to fill the slot (but can't because you have no cards), so only options B and C move the timer.

This can be found in the rules on page 9 where ending the game is described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dannte wrote:
That's not true. You only move the timer forward when you are forced to fill the slot with a card (because you used the card that was there) and not when you would like to fill the slot (but can't because you have no cards), so only options B and C move the timer.

Fair enough. I forgot that the Pending Card Phase was not mandatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.