Star Wars: Rebellion – Rise of the Empire» Forums » General

Subject: Time of gameplay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mateusz Członka
msg tools
Hi,

I have read about this expansion a lot, so I have only one question:
How the expansion affect the length of the gameplay? It will be shorter, longer, or the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Prophet
United Kingdom
London
Camden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it definitely makes it longer at first, but once you know all the advanced tactics cards, it ends up taking about the same time as the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JosephProphet wrote:
I find it definitely makes it longer at first, but once you know all the advanced tactics cards, it ends up taking about the same time as the base game.

I think it is +30-60 min.
The battles dont seem longer but somehow the game is(most liekly because of the battles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battles are shorter unless someone rereads they're hand of cards over and over before picking. I find playing time unchanged from that. Battle are more bloody now, with rerolls you get closer to max damage every round of combat. Rebel player will be slower to win, so adds one turn to our average game length so that adds a small amount of time 10-15% more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About the same. We got in a couple of expansion games on one evening last Friday, which I don't think we'd ever managed with the base game.

The RotE battles *feel* shorter to me, but that might be because as a player I have more involvement in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patriarchxyz wrote:
About the same. We got in a couple of expansion games on one evening last Friday, which I don't think we'd ever managed with the base game.

The RotE battles *feel* shorter to me, but that might be because as a player I have more involvement in them.

Did either of those games include a quick imperial victory.

That is the main way I have seen shorter games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
As others have said, longer at first (for me it was about ~30-45 minutes for a 7-8 turn game) but no real difference after a few games with it.

The reason is not so much the battles themselves, but all the extra planning between battles. You really have to think about what card abilities you have/want for upcoming battles, and that affects your builds, deployments, and movements. There are also special abilities you may want plan around, like capturing, rescuing, or eliminating leaders, so you need to keep track of those cards in both your deck and your opponent's. I like the extra layer of strategic planning, but it did slow the game down a bit for my first few games with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobb Feta wrote:
As others have said, longer at first (for me it was about ~30-45 minutes for a 7-8 turn game) but no real difference after a few games with it.

The reason is not so much the battles themselves, but all the extra planning between battles. You really have to think about what card abilities you have/want for upcoming battles, and that affects your builds, deployments, and movements. There are also special abilities you may want plan around, like capturing, rescuing, or eliminating leaders, so you need to keep track of those cards in both your deck and your opponent's. I like the extra layer of strategic planning, but it did slow the game down a bit for my first few games with the expansion.

I think you nailed it!

It is not a simple decision whether to build strikers or TF, especially considering which cards the empire or the rebles still have in the tactic decks. This is just 1 example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
Patriarchxyz wrote:

Did either of those games include a quick imperial victory.

That is the main way I have seen shorter games.

Nope, one of each! And both went 7-8 rounds, which is about normal for us.

The Rebels were in a gnat's whisker of winning the second one, but Tarkin vaporised the base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.