Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking at this for a deep dive game on WWI that is even heavier than Paths of Glory. i have heard that there is a ton of errata on this game so far as well as evolving living rules and that is hard for me to keep track of so i typically wait until a game has settled out and the FAQ and errata have been mostly fleshed out before getting a game. how bad is it compared to other games by Compass such as AE: Totaler Krieg and Dai Senso which are also deep games with large rule books but the living rules i have looked at online (and assujing that is it since i haven't also checked CSW) aren't that far off so it gives me confidence that the game is a finished product i can start learning. that and it has been out for several years. FA:TGW has barely been out and games this deep inevitably have a bunch of rough edges to be trimmed down.

normally with enough interest and research i just drop the money down but the price tag is hefty enough here that i am very conflicted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Others will probably want to weigh in and be more definitive but the latest rules pdf is here on BGG. It was a major rules revision made available almost a year ago. No new pdf of errata since then.

So, what is tons of errata? At this point when I'm working things for this game I'm just looking at the latest rules pdf like most other games I own. Living rules is a given in this hobby for just about every game. This game IS larger than Paths of Glory, for sure. POG has also had a lot of errata over the years.

If you think you will play the game, opposed or solo, then I think it is worth a purchase. Perhaps the caveat being you may want to get the latest rules printed out for convenience if you don't like pdfs. I DO like pdfs but I got the latest rules printed and spiral-bound for convenience at the table.

My video play-through series might give you a better idea of what you are getting into before you buy. The fact I started a youtube channel originally to specifically cover this game shows bias on my part but also speaks to the value of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Steven's videos.

I don't feel like the game as much errata going on, much of it was already printed on the original rulebook. You can even drop an email to compass games and they send you an errata countersheets.

Otherwise, the new version of the rules is not much erratas, it's mainly an overall improvement of the political / morale system for this game which is very very good.

The game would still be enjoyable with the first version of the rules, but the new version is really nice.

Since then, the introductory scenarion "Taming the Bear" has been added to the game and improved so it's much less painful to enter the game now.

Finally, if you plan on to engage in the World in Flames universe, Fatal Alliances is actually a good entry point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand your concerns, it is a hefty investment. But the game does come packed with a lot of nice components, and if your looking for a meaty hex and counter game on WWI, this will fit the bill nicely. As for the rules and errata, I would say that actually you're coming into the game at a good time. The real rough edges have been addressed, and the new rule book has sorted these out. You can download the latest version from the Compass Games site and give it a read before you pull the trigger.

I would also 2nd the suggestion that you have a look at Steven's vids on this one if you haven't already. They are super informative and should help you decide whether the game is for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman harman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
> even heavier than Paths of Glory

Paths of Glory is not heavy. Fatal Alliances is orders of magnitudes heavier. The rules, yes, not that much more. But the play, massively more complexity. There are tons of little things to track (on paper) during the turn Such as losses, where they were lost (cause it matters later on in the turn cycle) and really ton of calculations during production. Entry actions to remember to apply, just tons of stuff. Couple of turns of FA takes as long as a full game of PoG.

I like FA and WiF but it's nothing like "heavier PoG".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.