Hide
9 Posts

Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends» Forums » General

Subject: How important is memorizing patterns? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curtis Himel
msg tools
I've watched some reviews and the game looks good, but I'm worried that this game will reward memorization and experience too much and that people who have memorized the patterns that their opponents might be playing for will be at a substantial advantage.

Is this a legitimate concern?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I know the patterns for the red/blue decks, because they are the same and I've played most games with them. As a result I think I enjoy games using these matched decks more, but I also enjoy playing games with all the other decks I'm still(!) totally unfamiliar with, so I don't see it as a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Γοργοπόδαρος
Greece
flag msg tools
All that is gold does not glitter
badge
Not all those who wander are lost
mbmbmbmbmb
curtish wrote:
I've watched some reviews and the game looks good, but I'm worried that this game will reward memorization and experience too much and that people who have memorized the patterns that their opponents might be playing for will be at a substantial advantage.

Well, its not so hard to memorize the patterns, even each deck has a base pattern for most of the cards. So, your concern is legitimate but the advantage of memorization is very easy for everyone to claim it, after 5 games with each deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël Langella
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how you play it. Very competitive play might involve knowing all the patterns, remembering the ones played so you can deduce the ones left, and also guessing what legends the opponent is holding from how he's placing his heroic pieces.
You can also play it much more casually. As long as everybody plays in the same spirit there's no issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This can be a little bit of a problem with the Empire deck, which has a lot of very distinctive patterns. But there are only a few you really want to look out for-- knowing your opponent is about to play Infantry Captain isn't that interesting. You'll learn those key cards after a game or two. Maybe less; if you play Empire vs. Empire for your first game, you'll recognize some enemy patterns during your first game because you've already drawn that card from your own deck.

But for the most part, new players are way too busy figuring out how to DO anything. They couldn't make use of information about what their opponent is holding even if they had it.

On the third hand, experience is a BIG advantage in Tash-Kalar; a good player will almost always beat a new player. But it's not because they've memorized the cards. Overall tactics, task balancing, flare management, and knowing your own deck are all more important than making guesses about what your opponent is holding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
Denmark
Danmark
flag msg tools
That's right. I've got overtext, b****!©
badge
What did I just say?
mbmbmbmbmb
Each faction has a "base pattern" which most of the patterns in the deck is formed around.
I am however -not- going to list them for you. I've tried that for some people, and I've come to the conclusion that different people see different base patterns. So it's about identifying them your self.

I've played some 150-200 games of Tash-Kalar, and I still switch my base patterns now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've honestly loved this game, played it casually through the years, and not once have I memorized a pattern. I just do what's best for me at any given moment, and do my best to wreck the opponent when it suits me. My main recommendation is to stick with 'high form' mode, all the other modes just don't work for me.

That said, I don't play it competitively. If I were to, this may well be an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Pfefferle
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
curtish wrote:

A "concern"? Many people would consider it a rather positive thing when a game actually favors more experienced players and isn't just random luckfest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are guides people have put together which surmise the patterns from the base decks. Using these you can see what patterns your opponent may be going for.

e.g. Tash-Kalar - Patterns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.