Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the week behind us it's time to post your week's mini-session reports and stories to answer our favorite question:

mbmbWhat did you play this week? - Edition 468
mbmbindigo This week's WDYPTW Geeklist
mbmbindigo WDYPTW subscription thread
mbmbindigo The WDYPTW Guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much on the gaming front...

Tuesday
1x - Notre Dame - mb
mb - 5.0 mi 41:13 (8:14)

Thursday
mb - 5.0 mi 42:19 (8:27) - warm, rolling hills

Saturday
mb - 6.85 mi 58:40 (8:33)

I had a busy week work and family birthdays-wise and a great week of running, but only one game. Things will continue to be a hectic over the next few weeks, but I am going to Lexicon late next week and BillCon VIII is only a few weeks away!

meeple Keep playing...
BK's Hardcore 10x10 in 2018 List at 47/100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back from holiday - more usual gaming patterns resume.

Monday
Suburbia
Very much enjoyed despite coming last.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday lunchtime
Gloomhaven
Finished scenario 76. Achieved our first character retire and new character class.
Then started scenario 18

Wednesday, Thursday evening
Magic: The Gathering
Legacy play testing games

Sunday pub games meet
Scuttle!(New to me)
Dracula's Feast(New to me)
Unstable Unicorns( I need to get better at rejecting playing this)
Welcome to the Dungeon(New to me) - the only game I played this Sunday that was to my tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Sea Adventure x 1
Puerto Rico x 1
Citadels x 1
Mysterium x 1 [New to Me]
Between Two Cities x 1
Scoville x 1
Batman Fluxx x 1
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game x 1
Unlock! The Tonipal's Treasure x 1 [New to Me]
Terraforming Mars x 2 (solo)
Glass Road x 2 (solo)
Pandemic: Iberia x 1 (solo)
The Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game x 2 (solo)
Baseball Highlights: 2045 x 4 (solo)
Elder Sign x 1 (solo)
Fast Forward: FLEE x 1 (solo)
Castellion x 1 (solo)
Castles of Mad King Ludwig x 2 (solo)
The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game x 2 (solo)
One Deck Dungeon x 1 (solo)
Four Against Darkness x 1 (solo) [New to Me]
Friday x 2 (solo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane Athimon
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,
here is what we have played :
Just 4 different games, with 2 new ones for a total of 7 plays.
So not much for us :)

Cat Rescue x1 (2-player game)[New to us]
Deep Sea Adventure x1 (5-player game)[New to us]
Würfel Bohnanza x3 (two 2-player games and one 3-player game)
Alhambra x 1 (3-player game).

Not much interm of translation, just 3 games translated and a part of a game :)
Endeavor : Age of Sail (translation of the Exploits tiles, I am waiting for the rules to arrive :)), Quinque (for Mind Fitness Games), Yavalath and Hexellation (for nestorgames) :)
That's all for us this week :)
Have a nice gaming week and thanks for reading :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
xd10-7
I was giving this another chance, through both the solo campaign and the Mad Prophet scenario, but I'm afraid there's no redeeming value to what is a real luckfest with no hope of survival since the downward spiral is so prevalent.

Quote:
xd10-5
I really messed up my solo challenged against Crooked Masked. I won the first but had too many tier 1 cards, then forgot about a reward I had during the other 4 tries, that I ended upon getting exhausted. I should have won... Silly me!

Quote:
xd10-4
I'm still refining my strategy in level 3. My trouble here was that having nothing but weak peril cards to fight in period 3 is a real killer. So I lost all 4.
Spoiler for next week: I just won one game on level 3 with 63 points though, so the learning worked! Which feels good after all these losses and mistakes and giving ups of last week blush

Quote:
xd10-3
I took on Schnark on hardcore with very resilient gruffs and could have won a game but was unlucky and Schnark moved away, which is absolutely infuriating. Unfortunately I'm still not able to enjoy the solo mode, be it on easy or hardcore, and am thinking of pulling my pledge for the upcoming expansion. I'm torn because at the same time I really want to support the designer who's adorable...

Quote:
xd10-3
I took on some challenges against Edward and his new demands. I won 2 and lost one trying to win the last challenge (and messed up of course, I could have won had I remembered one minor demand.) I had him killed and surrender once each, and only 1 challenge left to achieve against him.
I played the app vs. Connors too and managed a win + 1 challenge but unfortunately I only count physical games Too bad since it was a tough achievement too!

Quote:
xd10-1
I tried playing Extracurricular Activities but wasn't into the mood and gave up. Rushing it after coming back from Normandy was too much for me :/ That eroded my confidence a bit too (cue Gruff and Aeon's End possibly).

I still have to work on my temper and frustration. I downgraded Scavengers and Gruff to a 1 but they had it coming for long. I upped Friday to a 7.5 though. And I didn't complain on BGG! So there is some improvement

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ward
msg tools
mb
1) Age of War - Fast and fun little dice game.

2) The Fox in the Forest - First modern Trick-taking game and I love it. The art and fairy tale behind it take it to another level.

3) Magic: The Gathering - I haven't played in 20 years but I attended the open-house Sunday to prepare for the Dominaria event next weekend. I did terribly

4) Star Realms - Why didn't I try this sooner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine Tessier
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Saturday's selection!!
We had a blast, started with King of Tokyo and then directly jumped into Dark Souls.
Finished the night with the lighter ones. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
KateTessier wrote:
and then directly jumped into Dark Souls.

How long did this take? Did you win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolinski
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Ascendancy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pursuit of Happiness NEW! (solo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Recovered from the flu I was able to play some games this week.

Wednesday
Caverna: Cave vs Cave

Friday
Lost Cities

Saturday
Fields of Arle

Sunday
Fields of Arle

Lost all 4 games. My wife suggests I’ll never win again. Hah. I only lost Cave vs Cave by 1 point and the first game of Fields by 1 point, so hopefully I do manage to win something again before I die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moller
South Africa
flag msg tools
mb
Saturday
Gloomhaven

Sunday
Gloomhaven

Monday
Gloomhaven

Tuesday
Gloomhaven

Wednesday
Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition)

Thursday
Gloomhaven

Friday
Gloomhaven
Splendor

Saturday
Gloomhaven
Splendor

Sunday
Gloomhaven
Splendor

Splendor got delivered on Friday. Two for two playing with my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vande Ven Jr.
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a birthday party and some cross country work travel, this week started slow.

But on Friday, we got the missing pieces to Unicorn Glitterluck: A Party for Rosalie in the mail. They also sent along this kind of odd game Dem Yeti wird's zu bunt. We played both Saturday afternoon. Unicorn Glitterluck: A Party for Rosalie was easy, almost too easy. I will give it another try, and if it’s still easy, I will come up with ways to ratchet up the difficulty.

Dem Yeti wird's zu bunt was interesting. The girls (age 4) are new to color mixing. So this game helped them learn some concepts, and should accelerate that learning. That’s cool.

That night we had game night, and started with some four player The Castles of Burgundy. With the recent 2 player experience, it was a really good game. I was the only player that didn’t elapse 200 points (I ended at 198), but everyone was within about 25 points, which was good. It did come down to the end scoring.

Then we played a few rounds of Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set. Got a new card power unlocked on our characters to make us even more powerful. Three out of four of us really enjoy this game. A great balance of RPG without needing to keep track of too much stuff.

Ended the night with some Five Tribes. Again, the 2 player experience helped, and my wife and I tied for first place, with the other two within just a few points. Incredibly close, with everyone using their own distinct strategies. If my wife was watching close, she could have won it by stealing my purples, but she didn’t.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four games this week, each one play:

The 7th Continent

5 hours over 2 sessions, Botanist (wife) and Cook (me), Voracious Goddess, normal mode. Lost.

So far, this is definitely our type of game. We enjoyed it a lot, but found ourselves playing it more like This War of Mine. Yes, we had our own characters, but we could easily as easily control a larger group and designate a "lead" for each action - and I think we might enjoy it with more characters.

Agricola (revised edition)

Base game, 2 player, I won.

Wasn't going to get this as I have the earlier edition, but I had a deep discount for it and decided to give it a shot. Its Agricola - but both my wife and I felt it was less stressful to try to get people to feed and we both felt the cards we were dealt were very good. Mine were outstanding and I had a phenomenal game, hers were good and she had an average game. I'll play some more before judging the game, but it was decent.

Leaving Earth with Stations

Solo mode as a team, Hard difficulty. Won. This was our fourth playthrough of the series this year and was the base game plus Stations.

We rocked. By 1977 our crew landed on Mars, in 1978 they build a habitat, and an 1979 our colony was successful and we won the game (our biggest VP card drawn was "man to Mars and back" and a habitat counts as "and back" for the game). We crunched the numbers and we could do a haste-launch for a basic colony to Ceres, meaning we would have completed all the mission cards in the game (vs the half of the points needed to win) on the very final turn of the game. I'm having a blast, and my wife is enjoying playing the game as a cooperative experience instead of a competitive one. However, we'll probably go back to competitive after a while - basically, once we both feel fairly comfortable planning our own missions. Alternatively, I'll make some house rules up for a full cooperative variant someday.

Valdora

Base game with 2 player variant. Wife won.

My wife had a good game. However, this was a game where I knew I had lost on the 3rd turn and was just trying to get what score I could. I then raced to end it because I couldn't catch up. Had fun, but bad luck on top of knowing I lost at the end brought out my inner grump. I felt bad, but it was just that one piece of bad luck on top of it all that brought out a bad attitude; fortunately, it was short lived. (I'm getting better, but I'm not there yet.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
x1 Five Tribes
x1 Sheriff of Nottingham - First!
x2 Kingdom Builder - First!
x1 Ticket to Ride: Rails & Sails - New to me
x2 Battleship
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Koons
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
51st State: Master Set (x2 solo)
Race for the Galaxy (x2)
Pulsar 2849
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
Roll for It (x3)
Roll Player
Crazy Creatures of Dr Gloom
Blood Rage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic: Rising Tide
Rajas of the Ganges
Spyfall
Unlock! The Tonipal's Treasure
Unlock! The Formula
Codenames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B J
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
4x Hanamikoji (2 player)
2x Pandemic (3 player)
1x Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King (3 player)
1x Morels (2 player)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Krause
United States
GRAND RAPIDS
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azul x5
Gloomhaven x4
Twilight Struggle x1

Light week for me. On the plus side my wife really likes Azul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FRI:
Quartermaster General - 6 players, Allies win
Viticulture - 5 players
Roll Player + Expansion - 5 players

SAT:
Legacy of Dragonholt - solo
7th Continent - got it in the mail Saturday and read rules and organized cards

SUN:
Blood Rage - 5 player game
Terraforming Mars w\ Venus expansion - 5 player game.

Supprised anyone came over with this horrible weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of solid week!

The Colonists x1:
A full, 4 era game, against 1 friend. I crushed them and was happy to get my new best score!! Then checked the forums and learned 329 is sort of horrible and people score over 600-800 sometimes. Regardless, loved it as usual. This game has a way of making 4 hours absolutely VANISH. We finished and it felt like no time at all had passed.

Heaven & Ale x1:
First time playing, really liked it. Again played 2 player. Scored 42 and felt like I had a good grasp of how to balance the light/dark sides of the board. Opponent is eager to play again and improve on 7 VP. They sort of totally ignored their Grain and that didn't play out well. Also liked how quickly this plays, but how much thought it provides.

Food Chain Magnate x1:
3-player game. Really crushed this one. Decided to try fast Guru, ended up shutting down the board shortly after while raining pizza and beer on all the houses. Game ended 479 to 140 to 115. I. LOVE. This game.

Terraforming Mars x1:
I. HATE. This game. But my wife loves it so I slap on a smile and play. On the bright side it's a game she's really great at and that makes her super happy. She won at 91 points, I took second with 60. Third player got 51.

Twilight Struggle x1:
Love this game, first time playing it but I’ve watched a decent number of games. I need to play it manymanymany more times so my friends can learn it. I won in Turn 2 because my opponent got stuck with a bad European Scoring in T1 and I took domination there. Then T2 I dominated Asia and Middle East and just... played my scoring cards I drew. USSR victory between that and some VPs off cards and Mil Ops points.

No Thanks! x1:
What a great and fast game. We ALWAYS end up laughing while playing this.

Kingsburg (Second Edition) x1:
First play, 2 player, just the base game for the learning game. I won due to a small victory point generator in the bottom row of buildings (1 free VP each production phase, sell 1 good for 1 VP). The 2 player game feels VERY, very close. We were tried for 3 years until I discovered those VP gens. Wondering if every game won't feel very samey; thankfully 2nd Ed. comes with some recommended expansions.

Lost Cities x1:
Love it! Lost badly due to some poor Order of Operations planning in scoring math. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday

The 7th Continent

It was our first time playing. We lost. A good game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Snowed in this weekend in Minneapolis. I played Flash Point: Fire Rescue with the Flash Point: Fire Rescue – Veteran and Rescue Dog with my almost 4yr old.

We have played a few times together and done well with it. I start by explaining what actions he can do and him choosing. He mostly put out fire and was uninterested in rescuing people. That all went down hill once he found the Dog mini. Now he primarily just runs next to the fire and he 'barks' at it. The flames claimed many people this weekend...cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the flu mid week last week...but played some games still (mostly solo)

Monday

Herbaceous solo x 4

Tuesday

Herbaceous solo
Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle solo

Wednesday

Herbaceous solo x 2
Lotus

Thursday

Friday

Herbaceous solo x 2

Saturday

The Little Flower Shop solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.