14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Board games as a wedding gift rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Viljoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hey everyone me and my girlfriend met gaming online. In the meanwhile we shifted more to board games instead of video games. Next year we are getting married and would love to give everyone a small game as a wedding attendence gift. I'm looking for something that would be easy to make ourselves and that won't break our budget. We would want 3 different games two so every couple can get 2 different games and one for older people (easy enough for grandparents to understand). Any suggestions would be nice I was thinking of something along the lines of yahtzee. Tank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claud
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza
mb
Congratulations Willem!

When you say that you want something easy to make yourself, you mean you are looking for Print and Play games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you custom-themed a version of Love Letter to fit your own circumstances, and printed up a bunch of those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reiner Knizia's Decathlon

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/501166/so-knizia-invented-r...

is much more fun than Yatzee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats.

Mini Rogue Has 9 Cards a couple tracker tiles and needs a few cubes and dice.

But it has great Art and is compact so it makes a statement.

I've a fan of A4 Quest as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar E
United States
santa rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How customized do you want it. For example, you could take an existing word game... for example apples to apples.. or some such... and create your own wedding theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Viljoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
Claudinko wrote:
When you say that you want something easy to make yourself, you mean you are looking for Print and Play games?

Print and play is fine can also be games that use dice or other components as long as they are easy to get and cheap to buy I might go to Essen later this year so will be able to buy wooden cubes ect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Viljoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
SandyClaws12 wrote:
How customized do you want it. For example, you could take an existing word game... for example apples to apples.. or some such... and create your own wedding theme.

The games don't have to be customized just want something nice that I can give people as a gift. As long as it's not too hard to understand. We have plenty of older guests too so need something to give to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vulcanite wrote:
Hey everyone me and my girlfriend met gaming online. In the meanwhile we shifted more to board games instead of video games. Next year we are getting married and would love to give everyone a small game as a wedding attendence gift. I'm looking for something that would be easy to make ourselves and that won't break our budget. We would want 3 different games two so every couple can get 2 different games and one for older people (easy enough for grandparents to understand). Any suggestions would be nice I was thinking of something along the lines of yahtzee. Tank you in advance.

Congrats

For my wedding, we made custom dice with our names on them. The dice were the wedding colors, and we loaded a pair per person into small velvet bags (also the colors of the wedding).

Then, simple dice games were printed on business cards and sprinkled around the tables.

As an added bonus, at the end, I got up and announced that many of the things at the reception (flowers, wall curtains, electric tealights) were ours, and we didn't want it to ALL come home... so pair off and use those dice to figure out who gets to take things home.

People know what to do with a pair of d6s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only do Print and Play if it is a public domain game. I would not do a print and play of a game currently on the market, as you are running into copyright infringement issues.

Love Letter: Wedding would be a good choice. You have to email the publisher to get copies: https://www.alderacsite.com/love-letter-home/love-letter-wed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Viljoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
djn1981 wrote:
Only do Print and Play if it is a public domain game. I would not do a print and play of a game currently on the market, as you are running into copyright infringement issues.

Love Letter: Wedding would be a good choice. You have to email the publisher to get copies: https://www.alderacsite.com/love-letter-home/love-letter-wed...

Was planning on checking copyright issues just first wanted to see if I find anything we would like to use. And although Love Letter: Wedding looks really nice I doubt that will be in our budget. Since I am from South Africa and she is from Belgium we are going to have two ceremonies (one in each country) and not a lot of budget to spare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Knizia's Decathalon doesn't have appeal, today the 2018 selection of 9 card nano-games for the 9 card nano-game contest just went to 'needs testing, no rule changes until after the contest'. You might find something that appeals there ...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1977482/seeking-play-tester...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest a Print and play of either Hnefatafl, The Duke, or Tak. Simple games with small boards that could be recycled from thrift-store chess/checkers sets. Or if you wanted to get ambitious a re-theming of Hive and a print and play of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and then, we held hands. is pnp still, and went over well when i gave it as a gift to a Bride and Groom at one wedding...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.