7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Accomodating a group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik-Jan van Oosten
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This year I want to bring somewhere between 10 to 20 local boardgamers with me to Essen Spiel. For this I'm looking for a group accommodation for the weekend. I'm looking for advice and recommendations to make this weekend happen as so far I couldn't find something close and affordable.
We're in for upscaling (merging with other groups of gamers) to make renting bigger group accommodations an option. Our plan is to go to the Spiel during the days and play the new acquisitions/latest hotness in the evenings with whoever is interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of accomodation are you looking for? Hotels will be most expensive, you could try youth hostels or try gruppenhaus.de , but usually you don't have any meals included there, but a kitchen of reasonable size for the house. Also everything will become cheaper farer from Essen. Public transport in the Rhein-Ruhr-area is great, so if you don't mind to commute 30+ minutes you should be able to find something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik-Jan van Oosten
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for that Christian! I think a gruppenhaus is exactly the thing we're looking for! There are 9 listed group accomodations in Essen that seem to be still available.

The capacity of some of these locations is enormous (betweeen 50 to 170 beds). How glorious would it be to rent such a place with many bbgers?

Open call to all groups looking for a place to sleep (and play games after Messe closing hours) during spiel 18: get in touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terraforming Alchemist
Latvia
Noctis City
flag msg tools
mbmb
Erik - great idea!

Which dates are you considering? October 24-28?
Did you already choose a guesthouse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik-Jan van Oosten
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Elena,
Thank you for your enthusiastic reply! Most of the people I know are not able (or more accurately, willing) to end their work week earlier than Friday afternoon. So my plan at this moment is to book a group accommodation for Friday and Saturday night.
I didn't pick a guest house as I first want to see how big of a group we are going to be. Factors I will pay extra attention to are:
- good connection to the Messe by public transport
- separate sleeping rooms preferred over one big sleeping hall
- a kitchen + common space we can use without restrictions.
- good value for money

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terraforming Alchemist
Latvia
Noctis City
flag msg tools
mbmb
Friday is too late for us.
Good luck and enjoy Essen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik-Jan van Oosten
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got a place! it has a direct connection to the messe and is only 25,50 per night including breakfast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.