Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this has been asked an answered, but everything I've looked at so far bundles traps and hazards in the same breath when it comes to the monster AI.

Yesterday, we had a scenario with a three-hex-wide corridor. The two sides were hazardous terrain. I laid a trap in the center hex. My party was all behind this line.

We're at level 5, so the hazardous terrain deals 3 damage. My trap deals 2 damage and wounds. But from everything I've read, the monsters aren't going to be aware of this difference.

Will the monsters advancing on us choose to spring the trap? Or choose to go over hazardous terrain?

Is there a ruling on how this would play out? Or is this under the famous heading "ambiguous: players decide"?

P.S. we did decide that the "shortest path to attack" rule would apply, but this really was a trap or hazard choice with all else being equal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DMountford wrote:
Apologies if this has been asked an answered, but everything I've looked at so far bundles traps and hazards in the same breath when it comes to the monster AI.

Yesterday, we had a scenario with a three-hex-wide corridor. The two sides were hazardous terrain. I laid a trap in the center hex. My party was all behind this line.

We're at level 5, so the hazardous terrain deals 3 damage. My trap deals 2 damage and wounds. But from everything I've read, the monsters aren't going to be aware of this difference.

Will the monsters advancing on us choose to spring the trap? Or choose to go over hazardous terrain?

Is there a ruling on how this would play out? Or is this under the famous heading "ambiguous: players decide"?

P.S. we did decide that the "shortest path to attack" rule would apply, but this really was a trap or hazard choice with all else being equal.

Shortest path first, then ambiguous if there were equal length paths that went over the hazardous vs traps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is that the monster will minimize the number of hexes it will travel over damaging hexes. It doesn't take into account the amount of damage it will take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone ... makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ, under Monster - Focus.

"Side note on negative hexes (traps or hazardous terrain): negative hexes are considered obstacles when determining this path unless there is no path except through the negative hexes. The path can be ten steps long if the enemy avoids the negative hex and two steps long if it goes through the negative hex, it will still choose the ten-step path as long as it is available. Basically, monsters will move through as few negative hexes as possible."

Monsters treat traps/hazardous terrain as obstacles unless they have no other movement options. If they have no other options for reaching their focus, they move on the shortest path. If the paths are all the same length, then player's choice, as monsters view traps and hazardous terrain the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:
The rule is that the monster will minimize the number of hexes it will travel over damaging hexes. It doesn't take into account the amount of damage it will take.

Is this a rule? As far as I can tell, once a monster decides to ignore terrain, it only looks for the shortest possible path. It doesn't look for the shortest path that only crosses 1 trap, it just rushes at the enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
hooliganj wrote:
aflorin wrote:

Is this a rule? As far as I can tell, once a monster decides to ignore terrain, it only looks for the shortest possible path. It doesn't look for the shortest path that only crosses 1 trap, it just rushes at the enemy.

p31
Quote:
Monsters without the Flying trait consider negative hexes (traps or hazardous terrain) to be obstacles when
determining focus and movement unless movement through one of these hexes is the only way they can focus
on a target. In this case, they will use the path moving through the smallest number of negative hexes possible
to find a focus and suffer any consequences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.