Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
48 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: 12 rating - BS? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not sure if this is a RSP thing. But here you go.

So under the Kids selection on Netflix you can find Lost in Space. (Reviews haven’t been that great but that is besides the point - it’s a ‘family’ thing.) it appears under my children’s kids programs and has a rating 12 (suitable for 12 and above). My oldest is 5 and only watches TV under parents supervision btw.

So I watch episode 1 - definite family feel to it - and at the beginning of episode 2 a main character says ‘bullshit’

Ummmmmm

Is bullshit an ok thing for 12 years olds to hear and say. I certainly dont think so and I am no prude.

I’m from the Medway towns in Kent, Uk and can swear with the best of them.

Am I out of touch? Is bullshit an acceptable term these days that has lost its bite or have the writers got this wrong? Or are other 12 ratings as free with these sorts of words?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In MY personal culture, I think "bullshit" is an acceptable term to be exposed to for a 12 year old, but not acceptable to use.
23 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather K
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty much feel there is no such thing as "bad words" in our own home. However, I do encourage my children to use alternate words in order to exercise their vocabularies. They are also warned not to use that language with friends/other parents because it might be off limits for them. My 12 year old hears a lot worse than bullshit from me.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you don't watch PG-13.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
In MY personal culture, I think "bullshit" is like a gas station glory hole: an acceptable term to be exposed to for a 12 year old, but not acceptable to use.


Such a great missed opportunity, I had to fix it myself.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
In MY personal culture, I think "bullshit" is an acceptable term to be exposed to for a 12 year old, but not acceptable to use.


And unless said 12 year old child is home-schooled, he's probably hearing much worse at the same or better frequency.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
lfisher wrote:
I guess you don't watch PG-13.


Ha - can’t think of any of that level. And thanks for comments so far.

I suppose this series drew out my question because the film was in my own children’s feed.

I have learnt so far in my parenthood that I cannot be overly critical of any parents with older children about how they bring their kids up because I am not there yet. I have no idea how I will behave when My kids get to 12 - and what I think is important at that time. So I am genuinely curious about the challenge ahead (phones, Facebook, etc etc) and how to navigate all that later.

I refrain from using any swear words at the moment because they are 5 and 3 - I guess I will see what I think the right approach is in 7 years :-)

I will want my children to express themselves and use language fully rather than resort to swear words - however I suppose that’s part of their learning.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
In MY personal culture, I think "bullshit" is an acceptable term to be exposed to for a 12 year old, but not acceptable to use.


And unless said 12 year old child is home-schooled, he's probably hearing much worse at the same or better frequency.


Good point- I had forgotten about that. My son has a 5 year old pal at school who already plays call of duty- ( don’t get me started on that one!)

So peer pressure is actually more likely to influence them.... and therefore hearing it, understanding it is actually a key thing here.....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
12 rating is only valid for kickstarters obv
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daughter JUST turned 13, so I have some recent experience.

It's mild enough that I don't mind its usage, so long as it's sparing and appropriate. Even by her. She uses it on rare occasion, and on every utterance of it by her that I've heard it was justified.

And she's definitely heard worse. One day, driving on the highway, we got cut off by a monkey acting like a turkey. Quite a dangerous maneuver on the other driver's part. So I start to exclaim "Oh! Mother..." I had no intention of finishing the sentence. But before I even get to the R in Mother, my daughter chastised me with "No Swearing!".

"I wasn't going to finish it", I protested. "And HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT COMES NEXT ANYWAY?!?"

"Um, Dad", she replied. "You do know what neighbourhood we live in, right?"

And it could be worse. For the two months where Pokémon Go was a real thing, we went to a particularly good park for catching Mons. A short time after we arrived a 6 year old arrived with who may have been his grandfather. He was a loud kid, and made no bones in showing his ire that he could get no connection. "Where's the FUCKING Internet?! There's all these great Pokémon here and there's NO FUCKING INTERNET!" Later, after the adult turned on his hotspot I heard "I caught a fucking Pikachu!". So I gave my daughter a quick hug and a Thank You.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Many years ago there used to be a children's TV series here set in a school called Grange Hill. Not my thing, by the time it existed I was older, and probably wouldn't have been anyway. But you couldn't but know about it. The language in it was an issue. On the one hand you had older people complaining about it. On the other hand you had the children who commented on the unrealistically mild language in it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's bullshit that you think a 12 year old shouldn't hear bullshit.

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Syvanis wrote:
I think it's bullshit that you think a 12 year old shouldn't hear bullshit.



Yeah - I think I’ll stick to my way and encourage my children to debate in an articulate respectful way and learn the time and place for swearing as they grow up.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching it with my gf and they also call someone a son of a bitch or something too.

And I was like "wtf, is that pg?!" (not out of any concern for kids or anything, just because I like to nitpick shows when they get kind of boring which this one definitely does.)

But really like . . . 12? They are saying SO many bad things to each other.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Meat wrote:
Daughter JUST turned 13, so I have some recent experience.

It's mild enough that I don't mind its usage, so long as it's sparing and appropriate. Even by her. She uses it on rare occasion, and on every utterance of it by her that I've heard it was justified.

And she's definitely heard worse. One day, driving on the highway, we got cut off by a monkey acting like a turkey. Quite a dangerous maneuver on the other driver's part. So I start to exclaim "Oh! Mother..." I had no intention of finishing the sentence. But before I even get to the R in Mother, my daughter chastised me with "No Swearing!".

"I wasn't going to finish it", I protested. "And HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT COMES NEXT ANYWAY?!?"

"Um, Dad", she replied. "You do know what neighbourhood we live in, right?"

And it could be worse. For the two months where Pokémon Go was a real thing, we went to a particularly good park for catching Mons. A short time after we arrived a 6 year old arrived with who may have been his grandfather. He was a loud kid, and made no bones in showing his ire that he could get no connection. "Where's the FUCKING Internet?! There's all these great Pokémon here and there's NO FUCKING INTERNET!" Later, after the adult turned on his hotspot I heard "I caught a fucking Pikachu!". So I gave my daughter a quick hug and a Thank You.


Good story and reminds me when I took a US colleague from Philly to a Fulham vs Everton football match. He came out saying he had just learnt a whole load of new English swear words from the 10 year old sitting near us. Haha
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikeybb wrote:
Not sure if this is a RSP thing. But here you go.

So under the Kids selection on Netflix you can find Lost in Space. (Reviews haven’t been that great but that is besides the point - it’s a ‘family’ thing.) it appears under my children’s kids programs and has a rating 12 (suitable for 12 and above). My oldest is 5 and only watches TV under parents supervision btw.

So I watch episode 1 - definite family feel to it - and at the beginning of episode 2 a main character says ‘bullshit’

Ummmmmm

Is bullshit an ok thing for 12 years olds to hear and say. I certainly dont think so and I am no prude.


OFCOM do loads of research into swearing on TV.

According to https://www.indy100.com/article/british-swear-words-ranked-o... bullshit is in the medium level swearing group. So maybe a TV station might have to think before showing it before the watershed.

Personally bullshit is on the lighter end of the medium and OK.

BTW Eastenders has used bastard and arse, Doctor Who has used bloody. Even if you go back and watch ET (which was a U certificate) that had shit in it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Many years ago there used to be a children's TV series here set in a school called Grange Hill. Not my thing, by the time it existed I was older, and probably wouldn't have been anyway. But you couldn't but know about it. The language in it was an issue. On the one hand you had older people complaining about it. On the other hand you had the children who commented on the unrealistically mild language in it.


I grew up watching grange hill - (early 80s) - I will have to go back and see if any episodes are on you tube to remind myself what was deemed bad then - thanks for the reminder :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will always remember this time, when I was 13 or 14 and I watched High heels on the TV with my mother. There is a scene in which a character shouts "I'm going to eat your pussy !" and starts acting accordingly, so my mother grabbed the TV programm: "Warning some scenes or dialogues may shock. Well ... I should have checked before ...".

Age ratings are cultural, when I watched South Park I was surprise to see on Wikipedia that some episodes are 12+ in France but 17+ in the US.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
andyl wrote:


OFCOM do loads of research into swearing on TV.

According to https://www.indy100.com/article/british-swear-words-ranked-o... bullshit is in the medium level swearing group. So maybe a TV station might have to think before showing it before the watershed.

Personally bullshit is on the lighter end of the medium and OK.

BTW Eastenders has used bastard and arse, Doctor Who has used bloody. Even if you go back and watch ET (which was a U certificate) that had shit in it.


An amusing read from the independent there - and Ginger is classed as a mild swear word! Haha

Some of it read like an episode of The Inbetweeners (UK version)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
Avatar
mbmb
seems we forgot the simple rule there is a time and a place for 'bad language' other wise it doesn't mean anything.

One of those times is when you drop Thor's hammer on your foot ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
Avatar
mbmb
Quote:
... that had shit in it.


well he was stored high in transit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
Avatar
mbmb
Mikeybb wrote:
andyl wrote:


OFCOM do loads of research into swearing on TV.

According to https://www.indy100.com/article/british-swear-words-ranked-o... bullshit is in the medium level swearing group. So maybe a TV station might have to think before showing it before the watershed.

Personally bullshit is on the lighter end of the medium and OK.

BTW Eastenders has used bastard and arse, Doctor Who has used bloody. Even if you go back and watch ET (which was a U certificate) that had shit in it.


An amusing read from the independent there - and Ginger is classed as a mild swear word! Haha

Some of it read like an episode of The Inbetweeners (UK version)


every british swear word - they missed loads - tosspots!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I don't mind a five year old hearing "bullshit."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Mikeybb wrote:
Not sure if this is a RSP thing. But here you go.

So under the Kids selection on Netflix you can find Lost in Space. (Reviews haven’t been that great but that is besides the point - it’s a ‘family’ thing.) it appears under my children’s kids programs and has a rating 12 (suitable for 12 and above). My oldest is 5 and only watches TV under parents supervision btw.

So I watch episode 1 - definite family feel to it - and at the beginning of episode 2 a main character says ‘bullshit’

Ummmmmm

Is bullshit an ok thing for 12 years olds to hear and say. I certainly dont think so and I am no prude.

I’m from the Medway towns in Kent, Uk and can swear with the best of them.

Am I out of touch? Is bullshit an acceptable term these days that has lost its bite or have the writers got this wrong? Or are other 12 ratings as free with these sorts of words?


No, there's nothing wrong with bullshit.

Just you wait until the episode where Maureen screams fuck...

Anyway, Lost in Space doesn't seem all that suited to children of 12 given the behaviour and mind-sets of most of the characters involved. Never mind their language, there are far more corrosive things.

Actually, the thing that annoys me about Netflix's ratings is not that they exist, but that now they are displayed without any option to not have this happen.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Looks like the rating is fairly consistent around the world. "Mild Profanity" and "Mild Frightening and Intense Scene". The rating (PG in the US) means that *some* parents may find it objectionable, suggesting other would not.

I do see that Singapore rates it R21 (i.e. under 21 forbidden to watch). Singapore is one scary place.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.