Hide
11 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Is anyone willing to host a tutorial game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon M
msg tools
I am just learning to play TM, and would like to get involved in a tutorial game (ideally, 3-4 beginners and a tutor). Is anyone willing to host/be the tutor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
What are your learning goals?
1. learn the rules?
2. learn to manage the terra.snellman.net interface?
3. learning basic strategy?
4. moving from newbie to intermediate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with DocCool--depending on what you're looking for I may be interest or not.

(To be clear you do mean you want someone to host on snellman as well, right? You didn't specify the platform by which you wanted this to occur).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon M
msg tools
DocCool wrote:
1. learn the rules?

For me, it's 4 and 2. I have read the rules, and played against the AI. I would like to move from rookie to intermediate. I've never played a game on Snellman, and I'd rather be more competent before I join a regular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C TK
Canada
flag msg tools
SimonM404 wrote:
DocCool wrote:
1. learn the rules?

For me, it's 4 and 2. I have read the rules, and played against the AI. I would like to move from rookie to intermediate. I've never played a game on Snellman, and I'd rather be more competent before I join a regular game.

Have you read Thrar's basic strategy guide?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know how to play, you can just do several AI games. That is how I learned the interface. Just click stuff till it works.

I'm sure you will find someone to help you out though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to join you for such a game and offer some basic advice, I'm definitely in the "intermediate" level (perhaps upper intermediate, definitely no better) despite having played the game solidly for over 5 years.

But I only tend to have time for "asynchronous" games online, as I'm generally only online for a few hours per day at most (sometimes more at the weekend). If you want a real-time game or one that is over in a few days, then I wouldn't be able to help.

EDIT: I'm robinz on snellman as well as on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon M
msg tools
CTKShadow wrote:
Have you read Thrar's basic strategy guide?

Yes, that was one of the first one's I read. Good introductory guide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
I'd be happy to join you for such a game and offer some basic advice, I'm definitely in the "intermediate" level (perhaps upper intermediate, definitely no better) despite having played the game solidly for over 5 years.

But I only tend to have time for "asynchronous" games online, as I'm generally only online for a few hours per day at most (sometimes more at the weekend). If you want a real-time game or one that is over in a few days, then I wouldn't be able to help.
Same here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C TK
Canada
flag msg tools
SimonM404 wrote:

Yes, that was one of the first one's I read. Good introductory guide!

With respect from going from novice to intermediate, you're probably good to go then. I did the same; Thrar's guide, then playing the AI until I felt I was competent. If you can beat the AI every time, you'll probably find your first few games on Snellman very easy especially if you're getting scores above 150 against the AI with some regularity.

With respect to learning the Snellman interface, honestly don't worry about it. The games are not live so there is no pressure to know how to do everything immediately. Most common actions are handled very well by the buttons, and if you are stuck on something obscure or complicated (like "what happens if I'm at 9 on two cults and take the 8vp cults town as my first town") you can usually either find it on the forums or ask and get it answered within 12 hours.

My advice is to just dive in and have fun
And don't be afraid to create your own game, it's often hard to find games that aren't rating restricted to join when you're new. At minimum I recommend turning on Variable Turn Order, but if you want to practice the tournament format also use the town tiles, the shipping tile, and the temple scoring tile mini expansions. I recommend to avoid the 12 hour move timer as many new or lower rated players will drop sooner or later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mak T
France
Annecy
flag msg tools
mb
For french readers, you will find here Grovast's Guide which is really excellent (70 pages of pure happiness!) :
http://ludovox.fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/LudovoxTerraMys...
Other languages, I recommand a look as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.