Adam
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is found on the lower right section of P.17

Quote:
During the Cost step of an action, the active player shuffles the face-down Discard Pile and then randomly draws Action cards from it.

The boldface emphasis of "randomly" makes me question whether drawing from the top of a shuffled discard pile is really the way the designers intended for it to be played. However, making random draws from within the stack seems awfully cumbersome, as does periodic random reshuffling As it stands, drawing from the discard pile already involves a great deal of reshuffling when card check tests are required.

I'm curious how other players implement this curious rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're just trying to double emphasize it's a face down shuffled deck, which you can't look at - unlike how it was when it was a normal discard pile.

We just shuffled all the cards and drew from the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the deck is properly shuffled, then drawing from the top is fine to call it random. They are simply emphasising that your draws should be random, not dictating a method you should use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
entwife wrote:
I think they're just trying to double emphasize it's a face down shuffled deck, which you can't look at - unlike how it was when it was a normal discard pile.

We just shuffled all the cards and drew from the top.

Yeah, same here. We shuffle them, draw face down, then return them to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
I think the important point is that you can redraw cards you drew during the last action. In contrast to putting the cards you drew under the deck or in places you will remember.

Edit: so I agree with the others that shuffling is sufficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJM
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
schleima wrote:
This is found on the lower right section of P.17

Quote:
During the Cost step of an action, the active player shuffles the face-down Discard Pile and then randomly draws Action cards from it.

The boldface emphasis of "randomly" makes me question whether drawing from the top of a shuffled discard pile is really the way the designers intended for it to be played. However, making random draws from within the stack seems awfully cumbersome, as does periodic random reshuffling As it stands, drawing from the discard pile already involves a great deal of reshuffling when card check tests are required.

I'm curious how other players implement this curious rule.

I'm reading this as a bit redundant. Shuffling the deck makes the draw random, regardless of whether you draw from the top, bottom, or middle of the deck.

My guess is the emphasis of "randomly" is to prevent behaviors that would skew the probability distribution over time. For instance, if you drew cards off the top and placed them on the bottom, then the probability of drawing a curse would gradually increase given that some number of known "good" cards were at the bottom of the deck. The end goal is to make sure that the entire discard pile has an equal chance to be drawn each time.

Edit: seriously ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nintendojunkie wrote:
The end goal is to make sure that the entire discard pile has an equal chance to be drawn each time.
This is the key point. When the discard pile is shuffled, pulling from the top is random until your next discard. That triggers a re-shuffle.

This can be somewhat tedious. It's another good reason to conserve your life force: even if you don't draw a curse, all that extra shuffling is bothersome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.