Subject: Feedback/Suggestions For Handling England At Level 6 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zedd Stamant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I would welcome suggestions to increase my chances of winning against this adversary.

Where did I go wrong with these two spirits and what should I have done differently to maximize my chances of winning?

Below is a log of the play session...

Log Of Last Play Session
Adversary: Kingdom Of England Level 6
Map C To The Left + Map A To The Right
Ocean’s Hungry Grasp (OHG) Occupies Map C + Lightning’s Swift Strike (LSS) Occupies Map A
OHG has 2 presence - 1 in ocean and 1 in land #2 of Map C + LSS has 2 presence - both in land #7 of Map A
Adversary initially explores Wetlands
-
LSS places 1 presence (from Card Plays Track) in land #8 of Map A, Chooses 3rd Growth Option, And Gains 4 Energy
LSS plays Harbingers Of The Lightning (As Slow Power), Shatter Homesteads (As Slow Power, And Lightning’s Boon (As Fast Power)
OHG chooses 2nd Growth Option – Places 2 Presence (Both from Card Plays Track) – 1 Presence in ocean of Map C and 1 Presence in Ocean of Map A
OHG plays Tidal Boon And Swallow The Land Dwellers; OHG Triggers Ocean Breaks The Shore As Fast Power to drown the town in land #2 of Map C (+1 Fear and +1 Energy)
-
Adversary builds in Wetlands and explores in Sands
-
Tidal Boon triggers in Slow Power Phase – LSS gains +2 Energy
LSS pushes 2 Dahan in Land #7 of Map A - 1 to land #8 of Map C and 1 to land #5 of Map A
Swallow The Land Dwellers triggers in Slow Power Phase – 1 explorer is drowned in land #2 of Map C
Harbingers Of The Lightning triggers in Slow Power Phase – 1 Dahan in land #6 of Map A is pushed to land #8 of Map A (+1 Fear)
Shatter Homesteads triggers in Slow Power Phase – 1 town destroyed in land #5 of Map A (+2 fear)
Thundering Destruction triggers in Slow Power Phase – 1 town destroyed in land #8 of Map C (+1 fear)
-
OHG chooses 3rd Growth Option – Draws 4 Minor Power Cards (Lure Of The Unknown, Delusions Of Danger, Reaching Grasp, And Quicken The Earth’s Struggles) – Takes Lure Of The Unknown
OHG places 1 presence from Card plays track in land #2 of Map A
OHG plays Lure Of The Unknown, Call Of The Deeps, And Grasping Tide
OHG gathers town in land #2 of Map A into ocean (+1 fear and +1 energy), gathers 1 explorer in land #2 of Map A (+1 Energy), Defend 4 in land #2 of Map A (+2 fear)
OHG triggers Pound Ships To Splinters (+1 fear)
LSS chooses 1st Growth Option, Reclaims All Cards, Draws 4 Minor Powers (Drought, Gnawing Rootbiters, Uncanny Melting, And Call To Migrate) – Takes Call To Migrate
LSS Gains +2 Energy from 1st Growth Option and Energy Track
LSS Plays Call To Migrate (only for the elements), Harbingers Of The Lightning (As Slow Power), and Shatter Homesteads (as a fast power)
1 town is destroyed in land #5 of Map C because of Shatter Homesteads (+2 fear) – 1 fear card is earned
-
Fear Card: Retreat – Level 1 (Explorer in Land #6 of Map C is pushed to Land #1 of Map C, Explorer in Land #4 of Map A is pushed to Land #3 of Map A)

Ravage Phase – Adversaries Damage Wetlands - 3 Explorers killed by Dahan in Wetlands
GrBuild Phase – Adversaries Build In Sands
Exploration Phase – Adversaries Explore In Jungles
--
Slow Power Phase – Harbingers Of Lightning Triggers (1 dahan in land #3 of Map A is pushed to land #4 of Map A - +1 fear
Thundering Destruction Triggers – 1 town destroyed in land #7 of Map A (+1 fear)
-
LSS Chooses 1st Growth Option, Reclaims All Cards, Draws 4 Minor Powers (Gift Of Power, Call To Bloodshed, Pull Beneath The Hungry Earth, And Sap The Strength Of Multitudes) – Takes Call To Bloodshed
Plays Shatter Homesteads As Fast Power, Harbingers of the Lightning As Fast Power, Lightning’s Boon As Fast Power, And Thundering Destruction As Fast Power
1 dahan pushed from land #3 of Map A to land #4 of Map A (+1 fear)
1 town destroyed in land #4 of Map A by Shatter Homesteads (+2 fear)
Thundering Destruction destroys 1 town in land #8 (+1 fear)
OHG Chooses 1st Growth Option – Reclaims All Cards – Draws 4 Minor Powers (Devouring Ants, Call Of The Dahan Ways, Entrancing Apparitions, And Dark And Tangled Woods) – Takes Devouring Ants
OHG plays Lure Of The Unknown, Grasping Tide, And Tidal Boon (As Fast Power), Triggers Pound Ships To Splinters
1 Town is gathered from land #2 of Map C to the Ocean (+1 fear)
Grasping Tide is targeted on land #2 of Map C (+2 fear) Fear Card Earned
Tidal Boon as Fast Power Causes LSS to gain +2 energy and pushes explorer in land #8 of Map A to land #6 of Map A
Pound Ships To Splinters Adds +1 Fear
-
Fear Card - Belief Takes Root
High Immigration Tile – Adversaries Build In Wetlands
Adversaries Ravage Sands - +1 Blight in Land #6 of Map C, 1 dahan goes off the board
Adversaries Build in the Jungles
Adversaries Explore in the Mountains – Escalation Effect (1 town is built in land #1 of Map C; 1 City is built in land #2 of Map A)
-
LSS Takes 1st Growth Option – Reclaims All Cards, Draws 4 Minor Powers (Drift Down Into Slumber, Encompassing Ward, Savage Mawbeasts, Gift Of Living Energy – Takes Savage Mawbeasts
LSS Plays Shatter Homesteads (as fast Power), Harbingers Of Lightning, And Savage Mawbeasts
Shatter Homesteads Destroys town in land #6 of Map C (+2 fear)
Thundering Destruction Destroys town in land #7 of Map C as fast power (+1 fear)
OHG Takes 1st Growth Option – Reclaims All Cards, Draws 4 Minor Powers (Call To Isolation, Purifying Flame, Visions Of Fiery Doom, Rouse The Trees And Stones) – Takes Call To Isolation
OHG Plays Lure Of The Unknown, Call To Isolation, And Call Of The Deeps
Lure of The Unknown  A town is gathered from land #3 of Map A into the ocean (+1 fear and +1 energy)
Call to Isolation -> A town is pushed from land #1 of Map C into the ocean (+1 fear and +1 energy)
Call of the Deeps -> Two explorers are gathered from land #3 of Map A into the ocean (+1 energy)
-
No Fear Card Resolved – Adversaries build in Sands Twice
Adversaries Ravage The Jungles – 2 Dahans come off the board, +3 Blight, (Blight is placed in land #1 And land #4 of Map C, and land # 8 of Map A), 1 presence removed from land #8 of Map A
Blight Card Flips – Revealed as Downward Spiral
Adversaries Build In The Mountains
Adversaries Explore In The Coastal Lands
-
Slow Power Phase
Harbingers of Lightning triggers – 1 dahan is moved from land #5 of Map A to land #8 of Map A (+1 fear)
Savage Mawbeasts triggers – Targeted in land #8 of Map A (+1 fear)
-
OHG Chooses 1st Growth Option Reclaim, Major Power Card Draw (Paralyzing Fright, Mists Of Oblivion, Wrap in Wings Of Sunlight, Blazing Renewal) – Paralyzing Fright taken
Devouring Ants Forgotten
OHG Plays Lure Of The Unknown, Call To Isolation, And Grasping Tide
1 town and 1 explorer pushed from land #3 of Map C into ocean (+1 fear and +1 energy)
2 explorers gathered from land #1 of Map A into ocean (+1 energy)
Grasping Tide targets land #1 of Map A (4 Defense and +2 fear) Fear card earned
LSS goes for Major Power Draw (Vigor of the Breaking Dawn, Indomitable Claim, Accelerated Rot, Winds Of Rust And Atrophy) – Winds of Rust And Atrophy Chosen
Raging Storm Forgotten
Winds of Rust and Atrophy played and targets land #6 of Map A (+1 fear)
Shatter Homesteads is played as fast power and targets land #7 of Map C (+2 fear)
-
Blighted Island Effect – Each Spirit Removes 1 Presence
Fear Card – Isolation
Town removed from land #8 of Map A, Town removed from land #5 of Map C
Invaders build in the Jungles (High Immigration Tile)
Invaders ravage mountains
Invaders build in the coastal lands
Invaders explore in Wetlands – Escalation effect – 1 town built in land #2 of Map C, 1 town built in land #2 of Map A
LSS chooses 2nd growth option – places 2 presence in land 5 of map A (Both presence from energy track)
LSS plays Call to Bloodshed, Call to Migrate, and Harbingers of Lightning
1 town destroyed in land #5 (+1 fear)
OHG chooses 1st growth option – Reclaims all cards, Major Power Draw (Talons of Lightning, Infinite Vitality, The Land Thrashes in Furious Pain, Terrifying Nightmares)
Call To Isolation forgotten
Lure of The Unknown, Terrifying Nightmares, Paralyzing Fright played
3 towns and 1 explorer pushed from land #2 of Map C into ocean (+3 fear, and +4 energy gained because of explorer drowned in earlier turn)
1 town gathered from land #2 of Map A (+1 fear and +1 energy) – Fear Card earned – Terror level 2
Paralyzing Fright targets land #2 of Map A
-
Blight Island Effect – Each Spirit Must Lose 1 Presence
Fear Card: Avoid The Dahan
Adversaries build in Mountains
Adversaries ravage the Coastal Lands – 7 blight added
Adversaries build in Wetlands
Adversaries explore in Sands – Escalation effect – City built in land #1 of Map C + town built in land 1 of Map A
-
LSS reclaims, Draws Major Powers (The Jungle Hungers, The Trees And Stones Speak Of Warm Vengeance Of The Dead, Dissolve The Bonds Of Kinship)
Takes Dissolve The Bonds Of Kinship
Forgets Savage Mawbeasts
Plays Dissolve The Bonds Of Kinship, Shatter Homesteads, And Harbingers Of Lightning
Shatter Homesteads as fast power destroys town in land 2 of Map A (+2 fear)
Thundering destruction destroys 1 town in land #1 of Map A (+1 fear)
OHG chooses 1st growth option – Reclaims- Major Power Draw (Cleansing Floods, Pillar of Living Flame, Poisoned Land, Cleansing Floods, And Powerstorm) – Takes Powerstorm
Forgets Lure of The Unknown
Plays Terrifying Nightmares, Swallow The Land Dwellers, And Call Of The Deeps
Terrifying Nightmares pushes 2 towns and 2 explorers from land #1 of Map C into the ocean (+2 fear, + 3 energy)
Call of The Deeps gathers 2 explorers in land #2 of Map A into the ocean) (+1 energy)
Pound Ships To Splinters (+1 fear)
-
Blighted Island Effect – Every Spirit destroys a presence
No fear card triggered – High Immigration Tile Causes Build To Happen Twice In the Coastal Area -
Adversaries ravage Wetlands - +2 Blight – 2 dahan removed
Adversaries build in Sands
Adversaries explore in Jungle and Sands
-
Slow power phase
OHG uses Swallow the Land Dwellers to drown a town + explorer in land #1 of Map C (+1 fear and +1 energy)
LSS uses Dissolve The Bonds Of Kinship on land 1 of Map A
Harbingers of Lightning triggers – 2 dahan pushed to land #6 of Map A (+1 fear) – Fear Card Earned
-
LSS Chooses 2nd Growth Option
LSS Places 2 Presence – both from energy track – on space 1 of Map A
LSS Plays Winds Of Rust & Atrophy, targeting space #4 of Map A (+1 fear, City replace w/ town)
OHG chooses 3rd growth option – places 1 presence from energy track on space 1 of Map C – pushes 1 presence from Ocean of Map C into land space # 1 and pushes 1 presence from ocean of Map A into land space # - Major Power Card Draw (Entwined Power, Tsunami, Poisoned Land, And Accelerated Rot) – Tsunami is taken into hand
Powerstorm is forgotten
OHG plays Tsunami, Grasping Tide, and Tidal Boon
-
Blighted Island Effect – Each spirit loses 1 presence
- Fear Card: Fear Of The Unseen -1 town removed in space 1 of Map A
- Adversaries build in Wetlands
- Adversaries ravage in Sands and win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

It's hard to follow the game on text, but the one thing I noticed is that you took a lot of blight quite early on, leading you to start taking the blight island effect.

In the early game I'd have focused more on destroying invaders in lands that are about to ravage (either in the slow phase of the previous turn, or in the fast phase in the turn they will be ravaging).

But then again I've only played England up to level 4...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How to handle England level 6?

We've beaten England at 5 several times, but that level 6 effect sounds like an extra level of awful. We tend to aim for early containment. You need to blow up the interior buildings right away, or you'll never be able to eradicate England due to their special build rule, and in a two-player game with Ocean, that means it'll fall entirely to the other spirit to do the early inland work (though Ocean in general is a great pick, as is Lightning, since they can circumvent the extra health on buildings via direct destruction).

Barring containment, you're looking at probably grinding out a Terror IV victory, and at least you'll never be lacking in targets, but that 25% bigger fear pool is going to be a painful speed bump to overcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zedd Stamant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Quote:
It's hard to follow the game on text, but the one thing I noticed is that you took a lot of blight quite early on, leading you to start taking the blight island effect.

In the early game I'd have focused more on destroying invaders in lands that are about to ravage (either in the slow phase of the previous turn, or in the fast phase in the turn they will be ravaging).

I think I've tried preventing ravages in other games at level 6. When I do that, they build up an astronomical amount of buildings.

It amounts to damage control and defense where growth is sacrificed to some degree and the twice build rule of high immigration inevitably kicks in at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Otiluke711 wrote:

I think I've tried preventing ravages in other games at level 6. When I do that, they build up an astronomical amount of buildings.

It amounts to damage control and defense where growth is sacrificed to some degree and the twice build rule of high immigration inevitably kicks in at some point.

Well you can try to follow the Play by Forum game here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1876590/pbf-009-her-maj...

The players won against level 6 England without even flipping the blight card.
They had a LSS in that game as well so you can see the growth options taken there. For example, growth in turn 2 was place 2 presence, play 1 card. Then reclaim in turn 3. Pushing back reclaim turns nets you more growth/presence which helps you later (at the cost of some early game burst power).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have the right idea with destroying vs defending against England 6. I'll be honest, if you only play with 2 spirits, I think you need ones that specifically have synergy with each other.

Since you used Ocean and Lightning, I'd say better combos are:

Ocean/River
River/Lightning
River/TS
maybe Ocean/TS

nobody82b wrote:

They had a LSS in that game as well so you can see the growth options taken there. For example, growth in turn 2 was place 2 presence, play 1 card. Then reclaim in turn 3. Pushing back reclaim turns nets you more growth/presence which helps you later (at the cost of some early game burst power).

Yea I made the call in my mind to play the early "Hammer" that game since I had support from River. Goal was just to get to the point where I could dump my hand every turn and not worry about growing pass that. While river and I contained England, Bringer would be allowed to power up and push for endgame (in this case, fear since that's it's thing. if we had a more destructive spirit like Ocean/TS/Keeper, we could have gone with wiping all cities)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zedd Stamant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Quote:
You have the right idea with destroying vs defending against England 6. I'll be honest, if you only play with 2 spirits, I think you need ones that specifically have synergy with each other.

Ocean/River
River/Lightning
River/TS
maybe Ocean/TS

Since towns and cities have +1 hitpoint, 3rd level Massive Flooding is going to be of limited usefulness here. Maybe the push on level 2 might help with defense and prevention of builds.

I suspect however, that River should go for major powers and move quickly on the energy track.

River can still provide support to his/her partner with Boon of Vigor.

The long term objective in every case seems to be a terror level 3 or terror level 4 victory and this all requires major power destruction ASAP because of twice build immigration tile penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zedd Stamant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Quote:

The only issue is that the PBF game was played with the expansion. I'm still trying to go through this adversary without the expansion.

I suspect the additional components/features made things slightly easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zedd Stamant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
The only issue is that the PBF game was played with the expansion. I'm still trying to go through this adversary without the expansion.

Looking at the PBF game, I'm left wondering if playing with three spirits solo that synergize well will increase chances of victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Otiluke711 wrote:
Quote:

Ocean/River
River/Lightning
River/TS
maybe Ocean/TS

Since towns and cities have +1 hitpoint, 3rd level Massive Flooding is going to be of limited usefulness here. Maybe the push on level 2 might help with defense and prevention of builds.

I suspect however, that River should go for major powers and move quickly on the energy track.

River can still provide support to his/her partner with Boon of Vigor.

The long term objective in every case seems to be a terror level 3 or terror level 4 victory and this all requires major power destruction ASAP because of twice build immigration tile penalty.

MF3 + Raging Storm = 3 damage, enough for towns
River can push for Ocean. Can also clump for TS. Even more key tho is that Boon of Vigor gives Lighting/TS the energy it needs without developing it themselves much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Otiluke711 wrote:

Looking at the PBF game, I'm left wondering if playing with three spirits solo that synergize well will increase chances of victory.

Yes, more spirits will increase your chances if you play optimally since the combo/synergy between spirits is greatly increased. The expansion is suppose to be net Neutral. Imo it makes thing tougher in the beginning but if you can pay for some choice events, those tend to help you. That didn't happen in the PBF game tho

I wouldn't say BoD was the best 3rd spirit in our PBF game but it worked out. You need to have a very strong early game vs England to hold them down and allow someone else to finish them off (although TS can both be the early and late game hammer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity...who here has beaten England Level 6 in a game that used none of: Lightning, Ocean, or Thunderspeaker?

(Those are the 3 spirits with innate powers that destroy buildings without caring about their health. "England is notably easier for Spirits good at wrecking Towns" - rules page 22)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you need a big hammer for england so those spirits are preferred.

If I had to pick a different set, I would go with SRG and Keeper. Possibly Serpent in bigger games. Wildfire is possible but I think Keeper is better at finishing the cities and you have less blight issues
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely agree that they are "preferred" (in the sense of being easier). That's precisely why I thought the question was worth asking.

Interesting that you pick Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds. I would have guessed Keeper would be weak versus England for similar reasons to Shadows; specifically, he has an innate (Spreading Wilds) he commonly triggers every turn but that is mostly-nullified by Indentured Servants Earn Land (both pushing an explorer and the wilds token normally prevent one invader action chain each, but against England probably neither does).

Plus, Keeper has several abilities that commonly deal exactly 2 damage, which is a really inefficient number to deal against England. (Though they all can do more in appropriate circumstances...and damage that scales up is especially good against England, so maybe that cancels out.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Keeper because he is a power house late game. Towering Wrath usually does 4 damage even early on, enough for explorer + town. PTWT also can increase it's damage. Sanco is one of his weaker cards so I rarely play it for damage

It's early game is slower but he has good support cards and really strong growth once its gets going. Seems like a better candidate than most for getting SRG acceleration

But these are just general comments, most people don't try other spirits vs 6 england because it's already the hardest adversary (designer says it should be rated above 10)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frotes wrote:
Wildfire is possible but I think Keeper is better at finishing the cities and you have less blight issues

Wildfire kills via damage, and that +1 health really, really hurts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zedd Stamant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Earth can draw from the major power deck much earlier than almost any other spirit. It might have a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about going through the game in the OP and giving comments. But can you clarify the board setup you were using? Your very first presence placement with Lightning, to land A8, makes very little strategic sense with the standard board positions--that's an expansion way off into the corner of the board, which is not at all what you need, since Lightning's powers are all range 1 anyway. So I was wondering if you were setting up the boards differently.

(The board positions for 2-player games are a little confusing. This FAQ goes through the options. I always remember the canonical layout by remembering that the two coasts are as close as possible in a symmetric layout.)

I can't play very far without getting the board layout right, but I'd also comment that I would have chosen Call of the Deeps over Swallow the Land-Dwellers on Turn 1. Call of the Deeps lets you pull the Explorer out of C5, and you still get to drown the Town in C2 with Ocean Breaks the Shore. You also get to trigger Pound Ships to Splinters if you play Call of the Deeps.

EDIT: I somehow forgot that getting the Explorer out is not necessarily so helpful. I still would do that, I think, saving Swallow the Land-Dwellers for later when there are more targets (after using the third growth option).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Povilas Šimonis
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
I'm thinking about going through the game in the OP and giving comments. But can you clarify the board setup you were using?

Just to clarify setup once again... Each ocean covers a corner (if we consider land tiles having 4 corners). So during standard setup for 2 players, corners should face different sides of the island making them 2 corners of total island, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The normal 2-player map arrangement is pictured on page 6 of the rulebook; the oceans are on the two "inner" corners of a parallelogram.

With boards A and C, jungle A3 would be touching jungle C4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zedd Stamant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
The board was laid out left to right instead of top and bottom. Map C is on the left and the 'C' on the ocean of that map is upside down and is furthest left. Map A is on the right and the A on the ocean of that map is upside down as well and is furthest right. C8, C7, and C4 are connected to A7 and A8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zedd Stamant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
How would River handle their side of the board? They can mostly push. They need Lightning to be in the game for Raging Storm and Massive Flooding level 3 to destroy towns. Without LSS and with only Ocean and/or TS, River is going to have a lot of buildings on their board and has to resort to major powers. Otherwise, Proud and Mighty Capital loss condition is more likely to trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zedd Stamant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Quote:
Out of curiosity...who here has beaten England Level 6 in a game that used none of: Lightning, Ocean, or Thunderspeaker?

Well, without those 3, I'm speculating you still need a spirit who can draw majors and use them consistently to destroy buildings. The ones that come to mind who can draw majors earliest and have energy...Earth and Serpent it seems. Serpent can get 6 energy with 2 growth options early plus a major power card. It requires sacrificing the unique starting cards but this entire game is constantly one of making sacrifices and taking risks at the highest levels. Serpent especially could use support from SRG's Gift of Proliferation since growth options are really slow.

Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares seems helpful to push for the terror level 4 victory if there seems to be just too many buildings all over the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just finished a game against England level 6 using Serpent + Earth where I won with some very slight cheating (I changed a couple of my moves retroactively based on developments I felt I could have anticipated, but didn't...effectively simulating a player slightly better than myself).

Vital Strength of the Earth drew Elemental Boon from Gift of the Primordial Deeps on turn 1 (played it immediately to trigger his innate, repeating Gift of the Primordial Deeps to draw Gift of Power, then played that, too). Then, Earth reclaimed during growth every turn from turn 3 onward so that he could keep playing Elemental Boon to let Serpent meet various innate thresholds that were otherwise impossible.

Serpent Wakes in Power at level 2 (place extra presence) on turns 3-4, and at level 3 (learn a major power without forgetting) on turns 5-6.

On turn 7, I activated Serpent Rouses in Anger at max level for 63 damage across the board. I also met both thresholds on Fire and Flood for 16 damage, used Rituals of Destruction with 3 Dahan for 5 damage, dealt 2 damage with a fear card, and used A Year of Perfect Stillness (repeated with Earth's innate) to prevent the creation of 15 health worth of invaders, for a converted-damage total of 101 in one turn. (Earning 4 fear cards, and triggering a terror level 3 victory with 5 towns and 6 explorers left on the board.)

Despite this lucky engine, during turns 3-5 I was expecting to lose; England almost triggered its alternate loss condition 4 separate times. I definitely feel England level 6 is harder than Prussia or France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the success. Yes the designer has mentioned that england should probably 11-12 difficultly but the chart only goes to 10. Ultimately they are just frivolous numbers. I think once you hit level 5, people will known England is the hardest of the bunch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.