14 Posts

Clans of Caledonia» Forums » General

Subject: This or Fields of Arle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rolando
msg tools
mb
I realize both games are fantastic, but which has the edge? If you had to choose one to get first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were only ever planning to play solo or with two (or considering three with the T&T expansion), I would give the edge to FoA. If you're mostly going solo but will have the opportunity for 2- to 4-player games, I'd say CoC.

YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Different games. I like them both. I'd get CoC first because you can play up to 4 and it's a bit shorter. They feel different, too, but both very good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando
msg tools
mb
VolleyGame wrote:
Different games. I like them both. I'd get CoC first because you can play up to 4 and it's a bit shorter. They feel different, too, but both very good!

Interesting. I am leaning towards CoC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muskett32 wrote:
I realize both games are fantastic, but which has the edge? If you had to choose one to get first?
apples and oranges, both are good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Schuette
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
muskett32 wrote:

Ooooooof. Tough call. Fields of Arle has an excellent expansion, but CoC should likely get an expansion given the potential for more clans and new modular components. I love both games, though.

If you play games with 4 players frequently, CoC is the obvious choice. With 3, I give the edge to CoC, but Fields of Arle with the expansion is very good with 3. With 2, it's a tough call. I give the edge to CoC, but I don't think you can go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando
msg tools
mb
Outshined_One wrote:
muskett32 wrote:

Ooooooof. Tough call. Fields of Arle has an excellent expansion, but CoC should likely get an expansion given the potential for more clans and new modular components. I love both games, though.

If you play games with 4 players frequently, CoC is the obvious choice. With 3, I give the edge to CoC, but Fields of Arle with the expansion is very good with 3. With 2, it's a tough call. I give the edge to CoC, but I don't think you can go wrong.

Thank you for your thoughts. Very helpful insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tishim
United States
Plover
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fields of Arle is amazing. I haven't played CoC but that is mostly due to owning Terra Mystica and Gaia Project which CoC borrows much from. I agree your choice should come down to normal player count. Either way I think you'll be happy with these options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muskett32 wrote:

Can you explain why you are comparing these two specific games? What qualities do you see them having in common? What elements do you want more insight on to help you make a decision?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thrasher
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I vote for Fields of Arle. It's a fantastic game. I love Clans of Caledonia too, but I feel like FoA has a bit more replayability. There are so many different ways to build an engine in FoA, and they are all very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krisztian Posch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very different games, even the mechanisms are different! We played Fields of Arle once and found it underwhelming, we'd rather play Agricola. We prefer Clans of Caledonia over Terra Mystica as it is much more straightforward and you don't need to be concerned about magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Naxer
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both - my spouse enjoys Arle more, I CoC. The Tea and Trade expansion notwithstanding, I would recommend CoC over Arle for the flexible player count, shorter rules teach and the solo mode. (I very rarely play solo, this one has hit the table on multiple occasions though!) Good luck, you can't go wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I own both and enjoy both thoroughly. If you HAVE to choose just one, the answer will really depend on (1) how often you play games in general, and (2) how often you intend to play any one game. Fields of Arle is outstanding, but seriously lacks the replayability offered by Clans of Caledonia, and from a "depth" perspective, Clans is definitely a more opaque gaming system. With that said, I'd argue the Fields of Arle is Uwe's second best game behind Le Havre, and it's definitely one worth owning if you intend to play it no more frequently than a few times per year; alternatively, if you really like the easy to grasp aspect of Uwe's games, this is the easy choice. If you really want to dive into all a game has to offer, and you're the type of gamer who wants to play one title 10+ times in a year, Clans will become the obvious choice; similarly, if you prefer a heavier experience, I'd go with Clans. Clans is best with fewer players, but you may give Clans the edge in player capacity.

Navegador and Solarius Mission both offer similar aspects offered by Clans of Caledonia, and are arguably "worth more" because they're going to be harder to find long term. They are both exceptional games, and while you certainly didn't ask, I'd start with Solarius Mission before either of the two you mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando
msg tools
mb
Great answers. I ended up getting both. Lol. Tax refund reward to myself (with the wife’s blessing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.