Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend, I opened up my X-Men box for the first time in a few months, and I noticed that all of the cards on the right side were at an angle with respect to the central divider. When I tried to straighten them out, they wouldn't quite fit straight across. This is because I use FFG sleeves which are slightly taller (wider when sideways in the box) than most sleeves, I think, but I never had this problem with my other Legendary boxes. The right side of the box was just too narrow. I thought maybe the central divider was slightly off-center or my box was slightly more narrow than other boxes. I compared the X-Men box to my Secret Wars boxes, and I saw that there was a piece of cardboard along the right side of the box's interior in the X-Men box that wasn't in my other big boxes. I removed all of the cards from the right side of the box, and I was able to remove the insert that makes up the right "well" entirely. Then, using a knife and some scissors, I was able to cut off the cardboard from the right side of the insert and put the insert back in the box. One I did that, my sleeved cards fit straight across the right well perfectly, just like in the other big box expansions.

I'm sure this didn't affect most people, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this?

Seems weird Upper Deck would change the construction of the box insert after all this time, especially since the new insert actually uses more material and weighs slightly more. Maybe it's easier to make though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ence

Bountiful
Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Anyone else notice that the box's insert is different from those in other big expansions?
Yep this bothered me when I first got the expansion I had to do the same thing to get it to fit sleeved cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Anyone else notice that the box's insert is different from those in other big expansions?
Mine does it, too, but I had not investigated the reason. I thought maybe I cut my dividers a little too wide when I saw them at a slight angle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just gratuitously add this detail -- I prefer to store my collection in those beautiful boxes. My collection fits in the core set box plus 2 big boxes. I chose Dark City and X-Men because they are the most attractive. My collection is just now "landing" in the right well of the X-Men box. (I have everything but Deadpool and Civil War).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
Mine does it, too, but I had not investigated the reason. I thought maybe I cut my dividers a little too wide when I saw them at a slight angle.

Yeah, this could affect dividers, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked again, and have the following observations:

1. I use Mayday premiums (7077), they just barely fit, perfectly (less room than other boxes). My dividers were cramped and I just trimmed them.

2. The way it is different is they just put a "box in a box" on that right side. The previous big boxes had a center piece plus the end pieces fanning out on both sides, but no side pieces. X-Men has one side piece because it's a complete rectangle.

3. Additional dislike is that cards can slide from the left front over to the right, in front of that "box in a box." The construction of the other ones prevents that.

I may switch to a different big box to hold my third box. Maybe World War Hulk will look super cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a little surgery to remove the right side of the "box-within-a-box" insert solved the problem for me. I agree that X-Men is a very pretty box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
World War Hulk will put me into a 4th box, I think (barely) I'm counting on it being sweet.

The "Wars" boxes are just kind of so-so, leaving me dead inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Well, a little surgery to remove the right side of the "box-within-a-box" insert solved the problem for me. I agree that X-Men is a very pretty box!

The proper solution is to re-sleeve your entire Legendary collection using Mayday Premiums (MDG-7077), which fit perfectly in the X-Men big box. No surgery required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.