DinoGenics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rulebook clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ty Browning
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read through the rulebook, and before deciding whether to late pledge, I would like some clarification on the following please:

1. Are facilities the same as buildings?

2. What qualifies a building as adjacent?

3. How many points of damage do fences and buildings have?

4. Are fences removed from the board if damaged/destroyed?

5. Do you get to choose which building will receive damage if there is a choice between two or more buildings?

6. Can an already damaged building be chosen to take damage again?

7. In step 5 of the open season, what happened to the already present tiles on the building stacks? Are they discarded?

8. Are dinosaurs the only way to gain reputation?

9. In step 3 of the Upkeep Phase, where are the visitors returned to?

10. Is step 4 of the Open season performed during Pre-season?

11. Are rampage checks performed as soon as the qualifying situation occurs? Or only during step 2 of the Upkeep Phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
Hi there, cleaning up some of the wording in the rulebook has been our top priority in the last couple weeks and is currently in final review. The new version of the page below explains a lot of your questions but let me answer each point directly.

1. Facilities are the same as buildings. In the new rulebook, the term “buildings” has been removed.
2. A dinosaur that is surrounded by fences is only adjacent to the fences and anything inside the fences. If a dinosaur is not completely surrounded by fences, then it is adjacent to everything on your player board that is not contained within fences.
3. The term “points of damage” has been removed from the rulebook because it was unclear. All structures can only be assigned damage once.
4. Fences are returned to the general supply once destroyed.
5. Buildings can only take damage once, at which point they are flipped over to the damaged side. Once damaged, they cannot be used for any purpose or benefit until repaired at the City Center.
6. If a dinosaur has access to multiple buildings, the player gets to choose which one is damaged.
7. New tiles are drawn on top of existing tiles. If the new tile is purchased, the underlying tiles can be purchased once more.
8. Some facility tiles (Holo Domes, Animatronic T-Rex, and Mutant Exhibition) can improve your reputation as well.
9. Visitors are returned to general supply at the end of every season.
10. Yes.
11. Rampage checks occur immediately. They can occur during the Breaking News Event, during placement, and during the upkeep phase. The same dinosaur can only rampage one per phase, however. (Event, placement, Upkeep. This means that if a dino is improperly penned and unfed during the Upkeep Phase, it will only rampage once.

I hope that is helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Browning
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply - much appreciated!

Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
Hi Richard,

On the rules page you posted it says:

"Damage must be assigned to either fences or facilities. When given the choice, a dinosaur will always assign damage to a facility within their pen or Open Space before attacking a fence."

I can see when a Facility would be in a Dinosaur's open space area (such a Brontosaurus free roaming and not penned) but when would a Facility ever be built inside a dinosaurs fenced-in area? Seeing as it would be attacked before the fence what would be the purpose in doing this and is it even legal to build something like this inside a dinosaurs pen?

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but if a dinosaur is in an adequate pen and rampages, it MUST destroy a fence first before it has access to any facility to destroy, correct? Also in the rules it states that the fence broken first is one that is closest to an outside area??

Sorry if this is redundant, I'm just trying to understand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
Hi JH,

Generally you wouldn’t build a facility inside a pen but there are times when it can happen, such as if you are running out of physical space in your park. This normally only happens near the end of the game (Season 5 or later) and is more common in 2-3 player games than in 4-5 player games.

Dinosaurs cannot damage a facility if they do not have access to it, so yes, a fence would have to be damaged before a facility. That is excluding the top example where you were forced to build a facility inside a pen. The fence a dinosaur chooses to destroy will always be the one that gets it to freedom fastest. If it’s a tie, the player gets to choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
Thank you sir! I was bored at work last night and skimmed completely though the rule book and just needed a few things clarified along with the few fixes I posted to the dropbox. Everything looks great and now I think I understand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.