Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Syria... something that we can do rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

So I was checking out my choosen Charity's ratings by watch group Charity Navigator ... something I do every year or two; And in the process I found this new "to me" one.

It is non-sectarian, non-profit and is one of only a few that ever get 100% from Charity Navigator. But more importantly as I read down to see what their focus for this last year was I saw this.

Quote:
From July 2016 through June 2017, Direct Relief’s activities included the following:

Provided $129 million in lifesaving medicines and other medical aid to more than 1,300 health centers and clinics throughout the United States, helping patients face challenges including chronic diabetes and opioid addiction.

Responded to Hurricane Matthew in Haiti and prepositioned emergency medical supplies along the Gulf Coast of the U.S. and the Caribbean in advance of the devastating 2017 hurricane season.

Supported doctors in Syria with urgently needed medical items, including a chemical weapons antidote, after a deadly series of attacks on Syrian medical facilities.

Bolstered Yemeni hospitals with medications and supplies to combat a rapidly expanding outbreak of cholera.


Since 2009, Direct Relief has provided more than $4.4 billion in lifesaving medicines and medical resources to help low-income people in 115 countries and all 50 U.S. states. The only organization to obtain VAWD accreditation to distribute pharmaceuticals in all 50 U.S. states, Direct Relief operates the country’s largest charitable medicines program.



Since I have been deeply upset by the Syria situation for years and the Yemen one once I became aware of it this past year, this group just got added to my list of Charities to support.

Thought I would pass the information on.


https://www.directrelief.org/

Their motto: "Providing life saving medical aid without regard for politics, religion or ability to pay."

Seems like the perfect RSP charity.

27 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
Seems like the perfect RSP charity.

Have you learned nothing? I'll have to check back later to find out what it is, but I can assure you that there is something wrong and insulting about this charity.
25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
Avatar
mbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
Seems like the perfect RSP charity.

Have you learned nothing? I'll have to check back later to find out what it is, but I can assure you that there is something wrong and insulting about this charity.


They never sent a goat!
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will check out this organization. I currently support this organization in my area.

https://nscphila.org/our-work/comprehensive-services-immigra...

They are committed to assisting refugees and other immigrants that are settling in our area.

I also support this organization.

http://hiaspa.org/

I would like to thank President Trump for leading to my annual donations as he's made me more of aware of the plight of immigrants. Thanks, Trump.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
Seems like the perfect RSP charity.

Have you learned nothing? I'll have to check back later to find out what it is, but I can assure you that there is something wrong and insulting about this charity.


They never sent a goat!


laugh

Beat me to it!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish our country would admit refugees.

soblue
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
Seems like the perfect RSP charity.

Have you learned nothing? I'll have to check back later to find out what it is, but I can assure you that there is something wrong and insulting about this charity.


GiveWell: The case against disaster relief

More seriously, I wouldn't say that these kinds of charities are 'wrong' or 'insulting' but there does seem to be some kind of sensible argument that other charities might be better if you're trying to maximise 'good done' per 'pound spent'.

A few more articles by GiveWell on this kind of issue:

GiveWell: Donating to help with the Syrian refugee crisis

GiveWell: 6 tips on disaster relief giving

(my main reservation with the above kind of argument is that a lot of people donate as and when a cause resonates with them emotionally, so instead of 'convincing people to donate differently', the actual result might be that people just donate less).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
I wish our country would admit refugees.

soblue

Fake news! We’ve already let in 11 Syrian refugees this year and it’s only April!

Plus Nikki Haley says they don’t want to come to the U.S. anyway, so why force them?


Syrian refugees don't 'want to go to US', envoy says in defense of Trump ban
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
I wish our country would admit refugees.

soblue

Fake news! We’ve already let in 11 Syrian refugees and it’s only April!

Plus Nikki Haley says they don’t want to come to the U.S. anyway, so why force them?


Syrian refugees don't 'want to go to US', envoy says in defense of Trump ban

Which is Lie #37 in the list of Lies Republicans Tell Themselves So They Can Sleep At Night, right between #36 "Poor people are only poor because they're lazy" and #38 "Putting money into the hands of the Job Creators helps poor people more than giving them money directly."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:
Erik17 wrote:
dkearns wrote:
I wish our country would admit refugees.

soblue

Fake news! We’ve already let in 11 Syrian refugees and it’s only April!

Plus Nikki Haley says they don’t want to come to the U.S. anyway, so why force them?


Syrian refugees don't 'want to go to US', envoy says in defense of Trump ban

Which is Lie #37 in the list of Lies Republicans Tell Themselves So They Can Sleep At Night, right between #36 "Poor people are only poor because they're lazy" and #38 "Putting money into the hands of the Job Creators helps poor people more than giving them money directly."


And #36(a): "Or God wants them to be poor".
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wight1984 wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
Seems like the perfect RSP charity.

Have you learned nothing? I'll have to check back later to find out what it is, but I can assure you that there is something wrong and insulting about this charity.


GiveWell: The case against disaster relief

More seriously, I wouldn't say that these kinds of charities are 'wrong' or 'insulting' but there does seem to be some kind of sensible argument that other charities might be better if you're trying to maximise 'good done' per 'pound spent'.

A few more articles by GiveWell on this kind of issue:

GiveWell: Donating to help with the Syrian refugee crisis

GiveWell: 6 tips on disaster relief giving

(my main reservation with the above kind of argument is that a lot of people donate as and when a cause resonates with them emotionally, so instead of 'convincing people to donate differently', the actual result might be that people just donate less).


That second link is really not useful. They basically provide a shrug. The shrug says that they don't really know what charities will help with Syria. As an almost after thought, they note MSF.

I mean, I get what they are saying about disaster relief. They note what happened in Haiti. But in your third link, they turn around and recommend the Red Cross, which was one of the organizations that was highly criticized in Haiti despite receiving a lot in donations.

I'm not convinced that Give Well has anything productive to say overall.

Personally, with my own charitable giving, I try and find organizations whose mission I support and then I set up quarterly or annual donations with them. I will still sometimes make disaster relief donations, but my primary method of giving is through regular donations that I've put substantial thought into. MSF is also one of those.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
Personally, with my own charitable giving, I try and find organizations whose mission I support and then I set up quarterly or annual donations with them. I will still sometimes make disaster relief donations, but my primary method of giving is through regular donations that I've put substantial thought into. MSF is also one of those.


My own approach is a monthly direct-from-paycheck donation to the kinds of charities recommended by Givewell and similar charity evaluators (independent of any personal connection to the charities involved).

The general impression I get from such sites is that there is enough high-impact work to be done with regards to malaria, deworming, and poverty in the developing world that any and all money I can spare for charitable donation can go to those kinds of causes (and thus spare myself the work of trying to work out how to help with emerging humanitarian disasters and/or political causes and the risk of allocating my funds suboptimally).

I'd be tempted to suggest that this is a more effective manner of being altruistic than cause-based giving (i.e. the news about Syria upsets and moves me, so I want to find a way to help with that specifically) but I suspect that woefully misunderstands the kinds of psychological triggers that tend to motivate people to give to charity (if 'feeling close to a cause' motivates people to donate more generously, then that should be leveraged).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just think what could have been done with the $250 million spent on the attack.

Funny bit including thoughts on that.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Just think what could have been done with the $250 million spent on the attack.

Funny bit including thoughts on that.




Certainly a lot can be done with $250 million dollars in terms of medical aid and many other humanitarian efforts.

HOWEVER... the joke and thinking behind his actual comment is just a shallow cheap shot... and here is why.

It is ignoring the math a 4th grader can easily do. Even if you assumed ZERO more refugees trying to leave Syria, an assumption that is surely wrong if no resolution to this conflict is achieved and more chemical weapons get used on the people there, AND that there were only 1 Million refugees already needing to be resettled (We know it is already many more than just 1 million* we blew past that number 5 years ago): that would be $250 per refugee. A pittance in terms of helping them actually start a new life in Western nations.

In fact the USA had given well over $200 million to refugee interim care by the middle of 2013 which made it the biggest donor toward the over a billion the UN estimated it would need in just that year.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jul/25/syrian...

By 2015 we know there were over 4 million refugees. Most of whom are crammed into Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan.

https://www.cnn.com/2015/09/09/world/welcome-syrian-refugees...

That would drop the $/refugee as of 2015 to less than $62 each ($250 million/4 million).

The most recent estimation of the current population of Syria I could find was from 2016... at that point, even with millions of refugees already having fled, there were still over 18 million people still inside Syria.

It is unreasonable to think we could resettle them all someplace else. (and certainly not for the $13 each that $250 would cover) Therefore clearly something must be done to stabilize the region and STOP things like the use of WMDs, in this case chemical weapons, on its people.

OR we have to decide as a world that we don't care what happens to those people and become ruthless in terms of trapping them inside their own boarders to live or die until the conflict is resolved internally one way or the other. I am not ok with this option in a civilized compassionate world.

$250 million sound like a lot to us as individuals, but in terms of dealing with an international crisis like this one... it is a drop in the bucket in terms of refugee assistance OR military intervention.

Both of which clearly need to be happening in parallel unless we are going to write the region off and stop caring what is happening to the 18 million people, most of whom are innocent civilian women and children, still within those boarders.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing games so havnt vetted this but it caught my eye.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Just think what could have been done with the $250 million spent on the attack.

Funny bit including thoughts on that.




Certainly a lot can be done with $250 million dollars in terms of medical aid and many other humanitarian efforts.

HOWEVER... the joke and thinking behind his actual comment is just a shallow cheap shot... and here is why.

It is ignoring the math a 4th grader can easily do. Even if you assumed ZERO more refugees trying to leave Syria, an assumption that is surely wrong if no resolution to this conflict is achieved and more chemical weapons get used on the people there, AND that there were only 1 Million refugees already needing to be resettled (We know it is already many more than just 1 million* we blew past that number 5 years ago): that would be $250 per refugee. A pittance in terms of helping them actually start a new life in Western nations.

In fact the USA had given well over $200 million to refugee interim care by the middle of 2013 which made it the biggest donor toward the over a billion the UN estimated it would need in just that year.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jul/25/syrian...

By 2015 we know there were over 4 million refugees. Most of whom are crammed into Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan.

https://www.cnn.com/2015/09/09/world/welcome-syrian-refugees...

That would drop the $/refugee as of 2015 to less than $62 each ($250 million/4 million).

The most recent estimation of the current population of Syria I could find was from 2016... at that point, even with millions of refugees already having fled, there were still over 18 million people still inside Syria.

It is unreasonable to think we could resettle them all someplace else. (and certainly not for the $13 each that $250 would cover) Therefore clearly something must be done to stabilize the region and STOP things like the use of WMDs, in this case chemical weapons, on its people.

OR we have to decide as a world that we don't care what happens to those people and become ruthless in terms of trapping them inside their own boarders to live or die until the conflict is resolved internally one way or the other. I am not ok with this option in a civilized compassionate world.

$250 million sound like a lot to us as individuals, but in terms of dealing with an international crisis like this one... it is a drop in the bucket in terms of refugee assistance OR military intervention.

Both of which clearly need to be happening in parallel unless we are going to write the region off and stop caring what is happening to the 18 million people, most of whom are innocent civilian women and children, still within those boarders.





That's all true, except that I don't think the attack did anything to stabilize the region or lower the chance that chemical weapons will be used again. The Pentagon has already said that they still have capability. It would take a commitment to putting troops on the ground, and the President won't do that (and neither did the last one). It's pretty clear that the American people don't seem to care very much about those 18 million.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/officials-acknowledge-assad-can...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.