Hide
3 Posts

Istanbul: Letters & Seals» Forums » Rules

Subject: Move your merchant stack kiosk card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Engebretson
msg tools
Are there some bad cards in this set? I’m a little confused. So you send your stack back to 7 with whatever you happen to have and then don’t get your assistants back? Also the return your companion to the personal supply ...so he comes off the board? Please advise...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Brown
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that the two kiosk cards you reference could be useful, but the chances of getting one when you need it is minimal..

Moving your merchant stack back to the middle of the board could enable you to move your stack out of a corner and back to the middle of the board where you can shift your strategy, either to reach assistants on the board or to just get closer to the other side of the board...There is usually one time during every game where a move like this would be useful... but the chances of someone doing the kiosk thing and me getting this card at that precise moment is like going for a needle in a haystack.. for the most part, this card would disrupt whatever strategy I am employing to get around the board.

The other kiosk tile you mention is more promising, especially if you get it early in the game before you have gone to the fountain and brought your companion into play. If your companion is already in play, then all it does is give you the option of pulling him off the board to reposition him at your merchant's location on a future turn.. something that might be useful once in a while.

These are two of the weakest tiles in the deck. The cards that allow you to get a wheelbarrow extension can be great if they come out at the right time when you have the requisite money or goods, but in my experience that rarely matches.

In my experience, the kiosk space is mostly a last resort option when I just have nowhere else to go. I do get a letter and the first choice of the tiles that are drawn, so that could compare favorably with going to the embassy for two letters, but there is a good chance that I help out a couple of opponents, and there is also a good chance that the 2nd kiosk tile that comes back to me is not very useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you happen to have the letter to 7 then there's another reason why that the kiosk tile would be good.

Some of the goods tiles even could be not so great like if you draw the "two goods", but are already maxed out on that color.

The kiosk is meant to be random, but you will always have some options when you go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.