Spain
Alcalá de Henares
Madrid
flag msg tools
Aquí irá una frase ingeniosa
badge
No me toques los meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much what the title says. Last play, a player got a facehugger and he could not kill it. During his turn’s strike phase, the player died. The rules only say that “remove all of your cards from the game”. But thematically I don’t think that the facehugger would just disappear. More over, in gaming terms I think that the facehugger card is not one of “your cards”, it is just a card that it is temporarily in front of you. Thematically, I think that the facehugger would jump to the next player. Then, this player would only have his/her turn to kill it.

I can even imagine a thematic situation where the last strike (the strike which kills the player) is discarded and the player gets a chestbuster. This would represent the aliens helping his little fella to impregnate a new victim. As Ripley says in Aliens “they don’t kill”.

How do you handle this situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would discard the facehugger. In the source material they die when they are done impregnating the host, they never leave one to host to go to the next. However thematically they are not locked on to the player since the player can still fight and recruit, simulating an ongoing struggle I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Baildon
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's an inbuilt option for this in the game - the "dead" player becomes an Alien trying to kill the remaining humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_X wrote:
I would discard the facehugger. In the source material they die when they are done impregnating the host, they never leave one to host to go to the next. However thematically they are not locked on to the player since the player can still fight and recruit, simulating an ongoing struggle I guess.

Personally I play this as discarded too. Thematically and being a huge Aliens movies fan {yes even the 3rd and Resurresction AND the AVP's, dont shoot me please- lol} I always feel that you are the Avatar you chose and you have a small group of marines with you trying to protect you. So when it's in front of you/on your face they are trying to remove it before implantation occurs, thats why players still can fight ect.

If you die while its infront of you, I guess they melted your head with acid trying to cut it off and then all out retreat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gómez
Spain
Alcalá de Henares
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
No me toques los meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
In the situation I described, the avatar of the player was not impregnated yet. The avatar died because of the strikes of the aliens in the combat zone while a facehugger was stalking him. Therefore, no possible resurrection as an alien player. I was the next player in turn and I could have killed the facehugger if the player would have survived.

As for the rules, if you consider the facehugger card as a card owned by the player, then the facehugger card should be removed from game. But thematically I don’t think this is the most coherent thing to do with that card. If a facehugger jumps over an impregnated player, it jumps to the next player. Then, if a player dies while a facehugger is stalking him/her, then it should jump to the next player too. At least that is my opinion. Actually, that’s what we did. We moved the facehugger to me and then I had to spend 3 hits to kill it. Anyway, I like to play following the official rules or clarifications, but I didn't find anything about this specific situation here nor in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phoenixandy wrote:
There's an inbuilt option for this in the game - the "dead" player becomes an Alien trying to kill the remaining humans.

You are thinking about after the Facehugger impregnates you adding a Chestburster to your discard, it is not until you draw that Chestburster that you get to play as an Alien. If you die while facing a Facehugger normal rules apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gómez
Spain
Alcalá de Henares
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
No me toques los meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_X wrote:
phoenixandy wrote:

You are thinking about after the Facehugger impregnates you adding a Chestburster to your discard, it is not until you draw that Chestburster that you get to play as an Alien. If you die while facing a Facehugger normal rules apply.

Yes.

And the enemies still attack you while you have a facehugger in front of you. Probably it is not rare to die while you have a facehugger, but I cannot say that for sure, I have not played the game that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Baildon
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Membrillo wrote:
Evil_X wrote:
phoenixandy wrote:

Yes.

And the enemies still attack you while you have a facehugger in front of you. Probably it is not rare to die while you have a facehugger, but I cannot say that for sure, I have not played the game that much.

I only played it the other day, and played as the Alien Player for the first time after getting chestbursted, but I'm fairly sure that once you've got a facehugger, it says on the facehugger card that they'll stop attacking you, which makes sense thematically, because they wouldn't want to risk killing the host of the new creature.

But yes, I had misinterpreted the original situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gómez
Spain
Alcalá de Henares
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
No me toques los meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
phoenixandy wrote:
Membrillo wrote:
Evil_X wrote:
phoenixandy wrote:

Yes.

I only played it the other day, and played as the Alien Player for the first time after getting chestbursted, but I'm fairly sure that once you've got a facehugger, it says on the facehugger card that they'll stop attacking you, which makes sense thematically, because they wouldn't want to risk killing the host of the new creature.

But yes, I had misinterpreted the original situation.

Facehugger card doesn't say enemies won't strike you. Chestbuster card does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
"If neither player can kill it, the Facehugger “impregnates” the initial player: The Facehugger dies and goes to the Dead Enemies space."
(page 13)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
"If neither player can kill it, the Facehugger “impregnates” the initial player: The Facehugger dies and goes to the Dead Enemies space."
(page 13)

This fits the Lore of Alien. The hugger just dies after impregnantion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.