Subject: Which country's flag is the "West African States" flag rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Which country has the flag for the West African states? I know the Saharan States has Mali's flag, but I can't figure out that one.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:
Which country has the flag for the West African states? I know the Saharan States has Mali's flag, but I can't figure out that one.

Thanks.

What version do you have? I ask because the Deluxe edition, Collectors Edition and the digital version do not have a flag for either of those countries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
The Steam version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:
The Steam version

No flags on the Steam or iPad version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Ummm, there certainly are

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Blaschke
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
I would be surprised if there would be a flag, because "West African States" like "Saharan States" is just the name for a number of states located at West Africa or the Sahara, respectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:

A screenshot would probably be most helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:

Not on my iPad.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Matt620 wrote:

There is a screenshot at https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=67100... .

The resolution is low, but it looks like neither Saharan States nor West African States has a flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Blaschke
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
pijll wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
Matt620 wrote:

There is a screenshot at https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=67100... .

The resolution is low, but it looks like neither Saharan States nor West African States has a flag.

As I have said, a flag would make no sense at all. It would be like looking for a flag for the Midwestern States in the USA or whatever other regions there are apart from East Coast and West Coast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterBl wrote:
As I have said, a flag would make no sense at all. It would be like looking for a flag for the Midwestern States in the USA or whatever other regions there are apart from East Coast and West Coast.

Or for the Benelux...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:

Digital (from Steam):

Physical gameboard:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen J
Australia
Elizabeth Bay
New South Wales
flag msg tools
RAWRRRRRRRR
badge
RAWRRRRRRRR
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:

Thanks.

Matt use google .... it will help shrug off the dumb american stigma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Estêvão
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:

Thanks.

I think the OP is referring to the flag for the Western African States in the Expanded Africa Scoring screen in the Steam App. It is the flag of Western Sahara - or, more precisely the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic - as used by the Polisario Front, an organization that has been fighting for the independence of the territory first since 1971 - first from Spain and, after 1975, from Morocco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PSantos wrote:
Matt620 wrote:

Thanks.

I think the OP is referring to the flag for the Western African States in the Expanded Africa Scoring screen in the Steam App. It is the flag of Western Sahara - or, more precisely the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic - as used by the Polisario Front, an organization that has been fighting for the independence of the territory first since 1971 - first from Spain and, after 1975, from Morocco.

It never occurred to me that was what he was referring to. I really don’t pay attention to the flags in that expanded screen, just the numbers.

The assumption I made that the OP was referring to the game board was wrong. I stand corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
pijll wrote:
PeterBl wrote:

Or for the Benelux...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Benelux
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
allensaurusrex wrote:
Matt620 wrote:

Thanks.

Sorry mate, I found your response neither helpful nor informative. Check Pedro’s subsequent answer. Ele entendeu a pergunta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Blaschke
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
turbothy wrote:
pijll wrote:
PeterBl wrote:

Or for the Benelux...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Benelux

Boy, am I happy that I did not mention Benelux. But at least it is inofficial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
allensaurusrex wrote:
Matt620 wrote:

Thanks.

What, pray tell, did you mean by this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
PSantos wrote:
Matt620 wrote:

Thanks.

Wow, that seems like a controversial choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, let's say that Morroco will not be happy at all with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Estêvão
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
PSantos wrote:
Matt620 wrote:

Thanks.

Wow, that seems like a controversial choice.

Indeed. It is not usually seen in the game, as players rarely drop influence in the West African States - and almost never control them. It's one of those peripheral 2-stability non-battleground spaces in the Mid War regions that are rarely worth the 2 IP - unless you are locked on an all-out battle for domination or control of the region.

Still, quite curious on the rationale for choosing the Western Sahara flag over more widely known ones in the region like, say, Senegal or Guinea. Graphical pattern clash with Mali, perhaps?

Well, while I'm procrastinating this morning, might as well list all the flags the Steam App uses for "bundle" spaces.

- Spain for Spain/Portugal (Booo! But I get it, it's the larger country and more widely known flag).
- Laos for Laos/Cambodia (again, the larger country and the flags are graphically very close).
- The Gulf Cooperation for Council for the Gulf States (odd choice, as the GCC also includes Saudi Arabia).
- Madagascar for the SE African States (another odd choice, as Tanzania would be the largest country and has a very distinctive flag).
- Mali for the Saharan States, as the OP had already written (although Niger is slightly larger in area).

Add the Belgium flag for Benelux - where Netherlands is the largest country - and no clear criteria emerges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

- Spain for Spain/Portugal (Booo! But I get it, it's the larger country and more widely known flag).

Sorry for that. I promise we did not bribe Playdeck....

Maybe they should have used the Olivenza/Olivença town flag - that way everyone would feel involved [BTW, I would not mind at all that the ownership is shared or whatever - really like Portugal]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpappy wrote:
allensaurusrex wrote:
Matt620 wrote:

Thanks.

Sorry mate, I found your response neither helpful nor informative. Check Pedro’s subsequent answer. Ele entendeu a pergunta.

Apart from the ‘dumb American’ jab I actually thought it was a very helpful suggestion. A google search for “West Africa flags” seems like a much quicker way to get the answer than to ask it in a BGG forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Knight wrote:
mpappy wrote:
allensaurusrex wrote:
Matt620 wrote:

Thanks.

Apart from the ‘dumb American’ jab I actually thought it was a very helpful suggestion. A google search for “West Africa flags” seems like a much quicker way to get the answer than to ask it in a BGG forum.

...except that he was asking in the context of the game and what's in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.