Acquire» Forums » Reviews

Subject: An hour ‘acquired’ for this game is worth it. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Sung
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, it’s a corny title and that isn’t quite the right use of the word. But I hope you’ll have a read of why I think this gem of a game is worth your time.

1) SIMPLE MAIN TURNS

As a classic game of buying and selling stock, they made some bold moves. Your turn consists of putting down a tile (to create a company, add value, or do nothing), buying up to 3 stock, and drawing a new tile. Other than those actions, the only other main thing that happens is when ACQUIRING happens.

Having such simple turns gives players time to easily think about the game- and not stressing over remembering the rules as well as ensuring no one’s taking too long.

2) ACQUIRING, THE 'CLIMACTIC' MOMENTS, INVOLVES EVERYONE
When one company ACQUIRES another company (when a tile connects one company to another one it gets acquired with exceptions) A lot of stuff happens. I won’t go into all of it (selling, trading shares, etc).

It’s not such a problem when so much happens in this acquiring phase because it usually involves everyone. Even if you don’t have any shares with the two companies involved, it usually shakes up the overall situation (for example, the company you thought was the largest might not be anymore) and you’re thinking

When everyone’s involved/invested in the climactic moments of a game, it’s done something right.

3) LUCK IN ALL THE RIGHT PLACES

The luck comes from drawing tiles randomly form a bag- and since you have to place tiles in their exact place (the right number/letter placing) it means that there's no way to plan except for the tiles in your hand.

It means that it’s unlikely that someone will spend too long burning his brain but there’s enough control (what shares to buy etc) for you to give it some thought.

4) NOTHING USELESS/WASTEFUL IN DESIGN
It’s clear the game design allowed for nothing to be wasted. All the different money was used, 7 companies maximum on the board seemed to be a good number, none of the rules was questionable. 1 hour seemed to be a good sweet spot for this game.

I just can’t find anything in this game that was there without good reason.

5) LOT OF ‘WOW’ MOMENTS
With companies constantly growing and acquiring, there are so many moments which elicits a lot of laughs and ‘wows’: where someone manages to muscle out a majority share just before acquisition, when a company threatened to be acquire just manages to achieve ‘safe’ status (when it gets 11 tiles or more), when a player makes some smart trades- I could just go on.

But the main point is, everyone should be involved in at least one ‘wow’ moment where you get plaudits for pulling off a stunning move either intentionally or accidentally. And that’s quite a feat for a game.

TO CONCLUDE…
Don’t get me wrong, there are issues, counting up how much money everyone has at the end, the gap between first and last is something can balloon up early, a crucial tile that could’ve saved you may NEVER be drawn. BUT it doesn’t take away just how fun the experience is.

An 8/10 for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Septaron wrote:
TO CONCLUDE…
Don’t get me wrong, there are issues, counting up how much money everyone has at the end, the gap between first and last is something can balloon up early, a crucial tile that could’ve saved you may NEVER be drawn. BUT it doesn’t take away just how fun the experience is.

An 8/10 for me.

Very nice review Justin to the only game that I have rated a 10.

The knock that people will give it is just as you mention, never drawing that crucial tile. Yes, there is luck involved with that but I always say that a good player will overcome that luck and make the game competitive. They may not win because of that but then we need some reason to blame our loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never would have thought I would have liked Acquire...and then I played it. Another game that will never leave my collection, but I have the perfect 1999 AH version, which will spoil you for every other version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Flickner
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has always been my father's favorite game and I have good memories of playing it as a family growing up. He still teaches it to new people whenever he gets a chance.
It was also my favorite game growing up, but it's been awhile since I've played. I admit that deck-building games have stolen my heart (especially Dominion and Eminent Domain) but Acquire will always hold a special place in my collection as my first love and the first "euro" style game that I'd played.
I have the 1999 version and have considered selling it for the high amount some are willing to pay for it but I think it would be a mistake to sell. Growing up we had the Avalon Hill Bookshelf edition, which was very nice as well and more compact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So...why do they have these overtext things anyway?
badge
This is what I really look like. Really. Actually, it was clip art borrowed from the internet
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I never would have thought I would have liked Acquire...and then I played it. Another game that will never leave my collection, but I have the perfect 1999 AH version, which will spoil you for every other version.

I prefer the simple, austere plastic tiles of the 3M and AH variety, with the original hotel names. A classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.