Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried finding a thread addressing this topic already, but don't see one.

Is it worth buying base game and expansion just for the solo play?

I've heard this game is quite complex and competitive, so I don't think I would play the base game at all. The best I could hope for with my friend group is co-op games against the Borg. I would intend to mostly play this game solo though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reimius wrote:
I tried finding a thread addressing this topic already, but don't see one.

Is it worth buying base game and expansion just for the solo play?

I've heard this game is quite complex and competitive, so I don't think I would play the base game at all. The best I could hope for with my friend group is co-op games against the Borg. I would intend to mostly play this game solo though.

Short answer: No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Care to elaborate since no one else seems interested so far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

The game is a multiplayer 4x and negotiation game. It works better the more players you have. The base game three player set up barely works.

The Borg expansion doesn't work at all without extensive house rules, especially not in solo.

There are no cooperative rules anywhere, official or otherwise.

My deeper reviews are here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1846905/star-trek-ascendanc...

And here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1941820/prepare-be-assimila...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link, couldn't find it originally because the title of the post was so generic. Looks like the game is quite lacking for what I'm looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is great, but not as a solo or coop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What they said. The game really required the interaction between players to make it shine. It is all about the diplomacy and rivals that form among players. I wouldn't recommend ever playing with less than 3 players, with or without the Borg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
United States
Genoa City
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can watch this solo playthrough series to get an idea of how it plays solo with the Borg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbYhK1LooKU&list=PLQcL0QgYU_...

Apparently the rules aren't that clear for the Borg "player" but speaking for myself I'm okay with that, I bought it to play only solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ddw867 wrote:
You can watch this solo playthrough series to get an idea of how it plays solo with the Borg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbYhK1LooKU&list=PLQcL0QgYU_...

Apparently the rules aren't that clear for the Borg "player" but speaking for myself I'm okay with that, I bought it to play only solo.

These videos are great. However, they have a number of rules mistakes. Many of them are commented on if you follow this link to the videos: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/193949/star-trek-ascenda...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Hahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you really love Star Trek and 4x Games, you could try playing with the Borg and a "dummy" faction. iirc there are rules for an automata round here, they work well enough.
I can get it to the table rarely, but i just love the theme so much, it's money well spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Yates
United States
Olsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had the game very long and haven't yet had a chance to play it at all outside of solo so take that into consideration, but I actually like playing the game solo vs. the Borg. I find it to be quite challenging to build up my forces in order to prepare for the Borg threat. I have played four games thus far with varying results. So far I have only played as the Federation. I won once with the Borg one system away from my home planet. All the other times, I lost and one of those was after drawing the Borg from the exploration deck on my first exploration so take that as a word of caution that it can make things a bit more heavily luck based than the original game without the expansion.

All that being said, I love the game so far. I think that it's a fun challenge to get to the table and the Borg Assimilation let's me get it to the table when I don't have other people around to play with so I think that it's totally worth having both for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.