Subject: WOG with X-Wing dice system combat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
j. m.
Spain
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Hi there, ...I´m pretty new to the game, in fact I´ve only played a couple of dogfight with 2 planes and the WOW2 FIRE FROM THE SKIES rules and tokens, and I´m now waiting for the WOG BOB and a few more planes...

The case is that after playing it, I got the impression that damage tokens wasn´t the ideal solution (in general I really like dice for combat) so I was thinking about a system with 10d or so.. but after playing to X-Wing (new to it as well) I wondered if is there a fan-made variant with X-Wing dice system for combat, I mean using the same dice which seem to me that they could be compatible with some house-rules or so...

Sorry if there is already something about this in de forum and thanks in advance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Oxley
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be interesting to try, but you would need to designate dice for the different types of weapons. The chits are set for different types, with the A level damage for light MGs, B for guns like .50 Calibre, and C for 20mm cannon, etc. The aircraft cards tell you what type and how many to pull for hits. You would need to work out how many dice and what they mean. There are damage chits of up to 18 points, and then there is the "boom" chit, where the target basically explodes, no matter how much or how little damage it already had. There are chits for crew hits, too. So you could simplify the hit system for it and use dice, but I think it would take more work than it is worth to work all that out. WoG also has no save rolls, so you could potentially use those defense dice for damage, but again, you still need to sort out how many for each weapon type. For a plane like a B-17 firing multiple turrets and waist guns at a single target (say, two from the top turret, two from the ball turret and one waste gun), you might need 5 red dice, but then what do the sides of the dice mean? Then how do you compensate for range? If you can sort all that out, please post it, I'd like to see if you can make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
What makes the damage counters less than ideal, and how would dice improve on them? I'm not sure what dice would add to the game other than bog it down. I haven't played X-Wing, but I've played Star Wars Armada and what a drag that was. Ares, take the basics of Armada, strip out all the dice and cruft, and stick it in the Pacific in 1942!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j. m.
Spain
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks you both for your interesting opinions... and yeah, I was thinking in a variant tested which simplify the hit system applying it only for fighters and not to bombers with turrets...

For instance, things like this: the attacking X-Wing dice(red 8d) include 3 normal hits, 1 critical hit, 2 blanks and 2 concentration symbols, so using them in this variant, in a 3 or 4 dice roll (depending on distance or modifiers), getting 3 critical hit could be explosion, and so on...

Gravey wrote:
What makes the damage counters less than ideal, and how would dice improve on them?

Well, it´s just a personal feeling... when I take tokens from a bag I feel more near of playing bingo than firing a gun, and that´s because I tend to consider dice like bullets in this kind of games,... and when you have been shoot (rolling red dice in X-Wing), having a personal chance to evade the damage (rolling green dice in X-Wing) provide a really exciting moment, at least for me and my group...

But anyway, I assume that I should improve my knwolege about the game, prior thinking in variants...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find the chits difficult to work with my fat fingers. Much prefer dice or cards. Dice would be tough, as the number of sides would need to be large to reproduce the chit distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Oxley
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WoG with dice, and a hex grid instead of maneuver cards, becomes Check Your 6. Which is easily played with WoG models. Might give that a try and see if you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards and chits make rolling to hit, determining damage/special damage (and jamming, in ww1) and bookkeeping to track it a single, elegant gesture.

What I hate of X-Wing’s combat is that the result is visible to everybody. Every spacecraft has far less suatainable damage points (2 or 3), so combat is very hit-or-miss (in Wings of Glory damage is far more gradual). You plan and execute a perfect move, roll dice and then - frustration! - total miss and no damage, your cunning maneuvring is totally wasted. I do not like it at all.

A perfect maneuvre in Wings of Glory is very satisfactory instead since I get to inflict the maximum of possible card/chits. It is pretty rare that they are all 0s (especially with machineguns, chanches to hit or miss vary with type of weapon). Even if they are just 0s, you discover that only at the end of the game. So secrecy is great both because it gives a far more satisfying gaming experience, and because it is far more realistic (if you see a dot at 600 km/h that’s an enemy plane in the distance, it’s difficult to understand how much it is damaged).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.