Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Newhero
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sell It To Win It:
Cards that remain face down receive no points at the end of the game, pushing you to complete sets, not just for the power.

Stubborn Princess:
Cards remain face up, and you loose those points when you use a power requiring those cards, flipping them face down.

Pay Cut:
You can place an single dice on a card with a dice already on it, as long as its a higher number. Doesn't remove the opponents die, but has a higher exhaust chance. May cause more interaction against the cards, at-least with 2 players.

What do you think, any improvements? I think I'll always play with you only getting points for cards face up, but we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nerger
msg tools
designer
mbmb
TheDoctor_13 wrote:
Sell It To Win It:
Cards that remain face down receive no points at the end of the game, pushing you to complete sets, not just for the power.

Stubborn Princess:
Cards remain face up, and you loose those points when you use a power requiring those cards, flipping them face down.

Pay Cut:
You can place an single dice on a card with a dice already on it, as long as its a higher number. Doesn't remove the opponents die, but has a higher exhaust chance. May cause more interaction against the cards, at-least with 2 players.

What do you think, any improvements? I think I'll always play with you only getting points for cards face up, but we'll see.

These variants are pretty fascinating! I think all of them would make for some very fun and interesting games. I have a couple of thoughts / critiques, but I don't want you to take these as negative, just more fodder for discussion.

Sell It To Win It: I like the idea of emphasizing the collection aspect of the game. I could see the face-down cards being devalued as they would no longer score the points hidden underneath them. To correct this it might make sense to play two face-down cards on top of each other so that while a player will not score points they will be able to pick up a broader set of suits.

Stubborn Princess: We've worked super hard to balance the bonus scoring and powers together. This variant would discourage players from using the powers as much because they would lose points in the process. I think if there was a way to increase the effects of the power cards this could work well.

Pay Cut: I like that this adds a bit more of a tussle to the game. It very much incentives players to correctly value the Treasure cards before placing dice. Although, I could see players feeling overly punished if they not only do not get a treasure card b/c someone out bid them, but also be forced to still roll the penalty for there servant placement.

In a two-player game, it is essential for the dice to be returned to their owner after being "kicked off." (e.g. Player 1 places their dice, Player 2 kicks off one of their opponent's dice, Player 1 can now make a final rebuttal before the round ends.) Otherwise, the second player will always have the advantage of being able to outbid the player who went first.

Again, I love all of your ideas. They're giving me a lot to think about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Newhero
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ajn424 wrote:

These variants are pretty fascinating! I think all of them would make for some very fun and interesting games. I have a couple of thoughts / critiques, but I don't want you to take these as negative, just more fodder for discussion.

No negativity at-all, I put them up knowing they were very rough ideas and was hoping for feedback. I admit I questioned whether or not to post the second one as it was very weakly thought, only there to provide a counter variant for the first one.

> To correct this it might make sense to play two face-down cards on top of each other so that while a player will not score points they will be able to pick up a broader set of suits.

Can you explain this further? Did you mean to pick up more suits to collect that it completes the sets instead of focusing on the points? Sorry.

Yeah the balance of punishment is something to think about. Maybe if the player does not get a card that turn, they get one card off the top of the deck. If that's too generous, they can only do that if they have a servent left that wasn't placed on a card. If you think about the scenerio of the theme, there'll probably be some instances where the player may very well walk away with nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nerger
msg tools
designer
mbmb
TheDoctor_13 wrote:

Can you explain this further? Did you mean to pick up more suits to collect that it completes the sets instead of focusing on the points? Sorry.

Yes, that was what I meant. A face-down card that won't score points might not give players enough incentive to place their servants on it. But if a pair of face-down cards were offered together, maybe that would make for some intriguing and rewarding play.

You definitely have the designer mindset. A big part of the job is just throwing things at a wall and seeing what sticks. That's why I really like your post, it's pretty inspiring and fun to think about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.