Subject: Day Without Dawn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Nelson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm looking for advice on the appropriate time to play this card. Obviously the best time to play it would be to delay the FP in crowning Aragorn or getting GtW. However, what if you draw this card after both Aragorn and GtW are in play? I would assume it would be a no-brainer to play it if you can cancel two WoWs as you are trading one action for two. However, what if this card would only cancel one WoW? Do you still play it? It could still be worth it as you are cancelling a wild action die for the FP and the SP is only using a P or an A die.

However, if you are in the position to cancel just a single WoW, is it better to save it until it until you can potentially delay the FSP entering Mordor by a turn (that seems situational on the fact that the FP rolls two WoWs on the turn they are about to enter Mordor)? Better yet, do you wait to use it until the FSP is in Mordor where moves are even more important? This is also situation, yet not as much as the situation mentioned above, in that the FP must roll at least two WoWs (assuming they use the first one as the first action on their turn) to even be able to play this card. There is only roughly a 26% chance that the FP rolls two or more WoWs.

TL;DR Overall point is, if the FP already have Aragorn and GtW out and you have the opportunity as the SP to cancel a single WoW do you do it without restriction, or do you save the card for a specific situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only cancel one WoW if I have a die to spare or possibly a hand full of good cards I don't want to discard. However, I'm only mediocre at WotR, so let's wait for someone who's actually good!
If Frodo is on the Mordor track and has only one/no swords, I think I might be tempted to take the WoW away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
As you state, the best use of this card is to delay Aragorn or Gandalf the White, and it can be worth holding onto it for that purpose.

Otherwise it's an opportunistic play. It can be worth it to cancel a single WoW if they need it to substitute for another result, forcing them to use a ring instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically don't use Day without Dawn to discard a single WoW die unless that extra action makes a big difference. Generally speaking, I would only use it if I can force the Free Player to use an Elven Ring (or hypothetically force them to use a ring if they have none left). For example, when they need to recruit into a stronghold but have no Musters or when you can deny a safe move for the FSP.

A key thing to remember is how threatening Day without Dawn can be. If you use it too early, you take away that threat and it allows the Free player to wait and use their WoWs more efficiently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
A key thing to remember is how threatening Day without Dawn can be. If you use it too early, you take away that threat and it allows the Free player to wait and use their WoWs more efficiently.

That is an excellent point. I don't know why I never viewed it like that. Just threatening to have Day without Dawn over the course of a game could be more useful than ever actually having it. Great view point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neldog23 wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:

That is an excellent point. I don't know why I never viewed it like that. Just threatening to have Day without Dawn over the course of a game could be more useful than ever actually having it. Great view point!

Similarly, as the Free Player I typically don't protect my less important WoWs early in the game. I try to bait out an early Day without Dawn because that safety and flexibility later in the game can be huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
In Mordor this card can be devastating. Taking away one move and/or hide is a big deal. Taking more than one can be a huge momentum swing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While trading 1 specific die for 1 wild die is advantageous, it means you can't later trade 1 for 2 instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.