Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Kolozvary
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the second printing and was wondering how long we should expect to play our first session?

Also, did a shorter tutorial come with this? I can't remember if I heard that somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The session will last until you are forced to either go to sleep or work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a short tutorial coming as a stretch goal in the 2nd wave of content being shipped. Because it's unfortunate the tutorial would have to arrive later, it's available as a print and play. That scenario, The Crystal Song, is available here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dynalange129 wrote:
The session will last until you are forced to either go to sleep or work.

lol, that was us. "What to do you mean it's ONE O CLOCK?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My weekend went something like this...

Crystal Song Attempt 1: 1.5 hours and died
Crystal Song Attempt 2: 1 hour and died
Crystal Song Attempt 3: 1 hour and lived

Voracious Goddess Attempt 1: 7 hours and died
Voracious Goddess Attempt 2: 5.5 hours and died cry
Voracious Goddess Attempt 3: 5 hours and died shake
Voracious Goddess Attempt 4: TBD (hopefully tonight)

These all being solo games and I make decisions very quickly (absolutely no AP)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
valpocarnie wrote:
My weekend went something like this...

Crystal Song Attempt 1: 1.5 hours and died
Crystal Song Attempt 2: 1 hour and died
Crystal Song Attempt 3: 1 hour and lived

Voracious Goddess Attempt 1: 7 hours and died
Voracious Goddess Attempt 2: 5.5 hours and died cry
Voracious Goddess Attempt 3: 5 hours and died shake
Voracious Goddess Attempt 4: TBD (hopefully tonight)

These all being solo games and I make decisions very quickly (absolutely no AP)

Seems like you could use... well if not analysis paralysis, at least a little more analysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you can play the Voracious Goddess which starts of on what is being referred to as "Tutorial Island" and then stop when/if you either die or reach the mainland. This should only take a couple of hours.

Of course you have to unpack everything first...

Honestly, what I did was to unpack and set everything up on night one, and play through the "tutorial island" on night 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Slomiany
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how someone could take 7 hours on Voracious Goddess and die.

So far my two attempts have been dying within two hours stuck on Tutorial Island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ghostOfChristmas wrote:

So far my two attempts have been dying within two hours stuck on Tutorial Island.

Our first game had us dying in six hours, after just making it to the mainland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostOfChristmas wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I made a mad rush to the end statue and didn't end up doing any of the things I was supposed to do on the way.
So I had to turn around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon R Monsen
Norway
Eiksmarka
flag msg tools
mb
You stayed on Tutorial Island 6 hours??

Played first game yesterday, we saved after reaching mainland, after playing about 2 hours.

2 more hours played today, and saved shortly after reaching area 3.

I don't think we're very fast, but feel that we've made good choices along the way (mostly)
6 hours sounds like a lot to me......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonsoonX wrote:

The choices you make, and the extent to which you indulge curiousity, can have a big effect on how many exploration cards you flip, and how much of the island(s) you visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Carpenter
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Class of 2012
badge
"There are only two things I love in this world: everybody, and television" - Kenneth Parcell, 30 Rock
mbmbmbmbmb
MonsoonX wrote:

Played first game yesterday, we saved after reaching mainland, after playing about 2 hours.

I don't think we're very fast, but feel that we've made good choices along the way (mostly)

I don't see how Tutorial Island could take more than like...30 minutes. I've seen a few posts say in the neighborhood of three hours and don't really understand. There's really not that much to do, is there?

Climb the rock, fight the lobster, find the hidden number, cross the chasm, fix the sub?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far we've played 3 sessions of about 2-3 hours each. We're playing with the 777 extra life card, but haven't died yet (although that may be heavily related to the fact we inadvertently cheated - the first time we found a hunting spot I misread the relevant card and thought we got to use all the creature cards we found, when you're supposed to just choose one from them, we've played this correctly since). We got off the island at the end of the first session (having explored absolutely everything and chose what appeared to be the "best" way off the island) - the second session on the mainland also seemed fairly linear, as did the first part of the third, but now things are starting to get quite interesting (although we are probably going to lose our first life pretty soon, I think, and I no longer have any confidence that what we're doing is even relevant to the VG curse as opposed to another one).

I find it hard to see how you can spend 6 hours on the first island - but if you're having fun, who cares? (So far I'm enjoying it although not as much as I expected to given the hype, my wife is less impressed but is willing to play to the end of the first curse to "see if it get's better" - after that if she doesn't want to play any more curses I will simply solo them )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thadcar wrote:
MonsoonX wrote:

I don't see how Tutorial Island could take more than like...30 minutes. I've seen a few posts say in the neighborhood of three hours and don't really understand. There's really not that much to do, is there?

Climb the rock, fight the lobster, find the hidden number, cross the chasm, fix the sub?

That were my thoughts too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Villard
United States
Yorktown Heights
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What service do you use to print this scenario? I mean I could use my printer on ok-quality paper. I wonder if there is way to match the quality of the preprint cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just print them on normal paper folded and put in sleeves
I use another curse as proxy
All the other cards (except for the 250) are only shuffled with themselves so as long as they are equally it doesn’t matter how they really will be.
Works fine and doesn’t look bad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricktor Black
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah, well, for me after reading the manual and giving it a quick shot (more to figure out the game and see how it works than actually play) I actually died within the first 20 minutes!

Bad luck, poor judgement, and not really paying too much attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
thadcar wrote:

I don't see how Tutorial Island could take more than like...30 minutes.

i could probably breeze through it now, but the first time i went through there, i was also checking the rulebook every 5 minutes, and also had to look up some cards for rule clarification. probably took 3-4 hours? plus the cartographer's notebook is a time sink if you're doing that too.

]plus i got to the sub with one gear and had to backtrack to find the other :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Weber
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crystal Song (2 players): 7 hours (and then got the worst ending)

Voracious Goddess Attempt 1 (solo): 7 hours and died
Voracious Goddess Attempt 2 (solo): 7 hours and not yet finished

Tutorial Island was 6 hours on the first game, afterwards about 30-60 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cavalry
msg tools
mb
I feel like my wife and I had a very different experience than everyone else. We finished The Voracious Goddess in about 10-12 hours and won on our first playthrough. We made some rule mistakes that accidentally made the game easier (we thought you could remove an item card from a stack whenever you wanted). But, we also made rule mistakes that made the game harder.
We thought we were stuck on the tiny island with the submarine because there was no move action at the bottom. We went through about 30 cards looking for a way off.

But, once we understood the importance of hunting and keeping our action deck full we weren't ever really in danger of losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voracious Goddess: 7 sessions of about 2h each (and we played in easy-easy mode: used but not banished the 777 card)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
txnull wrote:
Voracious Goddess: 7 sessions of about 2h each (and we played in easy-easy mode: used but not banished the 777 card)

so practical immortal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
so practical immortal?
Yep, I think we would have died four times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Baughman

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
Will Code For Food
mbmbmbmb
I think its worth while taking your time on the newb island so that you leave with a fullish action deck and hopefully some useful items and decent hands. I can see 6 hours if that included set up and a lot of rule discovery.

In my second play through the island, my first attempt at VG, I think I spent about 1.5 - 2 hr and was well set up when I made landfall. Its also a perfect place to start since I usually play from around 9-11 each night..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.