Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Guardians of Deephall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mordrog's Hero Feat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
When activating the feat the text says:
Use after you perform an attack that does not defeat a target. Perform an additional Attack, using the same target. This Attack adds 1 [surge] to the results.

What happens when Mordrog uses his skills like Whirlwind? On that card it says: [Action] Perform an attack with a Melee weapon targeting all adjacent monsters. You make 1 attack roll and each monster rolls its defense dice separately.

Can Mordrog use his hero feat and make another Whilrwind tarketing all the monsters that remained?

I think he obviously should be able to do that when the initial attack doesn't defeat anyone.
But can he use the feat in case where only some of the monsters were not defeated? For instant if there were 4 monsters that were affected by the attack and 3 remained. I would think that it was an attack that "did not defeat a target". On the other hand it also did defeat a target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mordrog Hero Feat
No, his heroic feat lets him make a basic attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Proto Persona wrote:
No, his heroic feat lets him make a basic attack.

He makes a basic attack, using the same target.

In Whirlwind the target is "all adjacent monsters".

So I have still some questions left:

1) Would it be possible to use the Heroic Feat after Whilrwind if figures die from the attack (assuming that some figures remain)? Or is it only possible to use it when all the targeted figures remain?

2) If you must use a single target after Whilrwin (when using the Heroic Feat) then how it is handled exactly? Do you have to point out a figure before using Whirlwind to make sure that you are targeting the same monster again? Or can the hero player choose from the ones that remain?

3) Is it impossible to use Mordrog's Heroic Feat after Whirlwind?

From reading the texts my only interpretion is that Mordrog can attack again using the same target as before. It is a once per quest feat so it limits its use already. And if Overlord has allowed Whirlwind to be used against the figures he has already made the mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well FFG has never handled these questions officially, but the way I see it:

1) No, if the attack defeated a figure then you can't use the feat, regardless of how many are left standing.

2) Since Whirlwind actually targets all adjacent monsters and not just affects them, I would say you can pick any target you attacked.

3) Nope, he just has to attack them and not kill anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am still very confused on the fact that the feat says it has to use the same target as was used before.

If you are forced to attack a single target on that later time it is not the same target any more.

Easiest way would be to point out that a single attack cannot be used to target that many monsters unless you use the skill card (which in this case you cannot). So using the feat after Whirlwind would be impossible.
Other option is also that you can use the feat, but then you use the same target as before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the confusing way FFG writes their games. The basic rules already do cover that a basic attack targets a single enemy space. In this case you would get to pick which of the many single targets you just attacked to make a new attack on. It's an edge case for sure, but I'm certain it works that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The text says to use it when you don't defeat "a" target. I would take this to mean that if you have multiple targets (such as with Whirlwind), and don't defeat one or more of them, you choose which of them is the "a target" that triggers the condition, and make an attack against that target only.

While there are multiple "a target"s to choose from, only one can be used to trigger, and only one can be attacked with the feat.

Just my take on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
The text says to use it when you don't defeat "a" target. I would take this to mean that if you have multiple targets (such as with Whirlwind), and don't defeat one or more of them, you choose which of them is the "a target" that triggers the condition, and make an attack against that target only.

While there are multiple "a target"s to choose from, only one can be used to trigger, and only one can be attacked with the feat.

Just my take on it

This seems like a ruling that makes sense. If I don't hear from FFG something different, I think I'll play with this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jutuomin wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Just my take on it

This seems like a ruling that makes sense. If I don't hear from FFG something different, I think I'll play with this rule.
If you are interested in an official answer you can ask here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very good.
I sent a message to FFG about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.